Author Topic: 4 Reasons I Don't Trust the 1911  (Read 2037 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
4 Reasons I Don't Trust the 1911
« on: November 16, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
I ran CR's BBG course with my Ruger SR1911CMD-A.  I had two failures - they were caused by me not doing what I needed to do.

One time I neglected to drop the thumb safety to fire. I made the necessary correction after saying, "Well, that was interesting!"  and finished the exercise.  Yes, I am glad that it occurred during training.

The second incident was a FTF. I was firing one-handed around a barricade and the FTF was caused by  limp-wristing.

Both were my fault and not that of the pistol, which had run flawlessly throughout the course and with varying magazines with varying amounts of ammo stored in them.

In a sense, I agree with the video. The 1911 is not a platform for everyone.  I can say the same about Glock, Beretta, Smith & Wesson, or any other numerous pistols that are not 1911-based. I can say the same thing about revolvers large and small.

The "expert" in the video does not show the shortcomings of the 1911.  He does show; however, show his shortcomings with the 1911.

Am I based toward the 1911?  Perhaps.  But, I am also the type who is willing to ensure that the gun is properly maintained and ready to run at a moment's notice. It is me, and not the 1911, that worries me more.

Anyway, watch the video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Ao6Fg6P1k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Ao6Fg6P1k</a>

or here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Ao6Fg6P1k
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
Re: 4 Reasons I Don't Trust the 1911
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »
Everyone has their own belief, or should I say opinion, I do carry a 1911 as my EDC, I have personally with this firearm never had any problems, been very reliable, I can't say the same with the glock I use to own, am I limited to just 7+1?, not really sense I carry a spare mag, would I consider changing my EDC? Well can't say no, because there are other firearms that I do like, but for the time being, I'll stick to what's has worked for me, thanks for the video
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 04:55:05 PM »
To paraphrase a popular pizza maker; "Better bullet, bigger hole, Papa John (Browning)."  ;D

As an experiment this weekend, I'll be firing a full-size (Government) model as a comparison to the lightweight Ruger SR1911CMD.  If there is an increase in recoil management, which I suspect there will be, I'll have to decide weight vs. an increase in accuracy and recoil management.  I may be returning to the "Government" model as an EDC for a while.  Testing will tell.

The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »
M-M-M-M-m-m-m-m-m . . . 
Taurian I might add that your explanation shows that perhaps you should find someone else to carry your 1911.
That way you would not have to worry about it.

If you find that this problem persists please let me know.
I will send you my address so you can send all your 1911's to me.
I promise to take good care of them . . . . Honest . . . . Really . . . . . Really . . . . . I Promise!

"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:52:31 PM »
To paraphrase a popular pizza maker; "Better bullet, bigger hole, Papa John (Browning)."  ;D

As an experiment this weekend, I'll be firing a full-size (Government) model as a comparison to the lightweight Ruger SR1911CMD.  If there is an increase in recoil management, which I suspect there will be, I'll have to decide weight vs. an increase in accuracy and recoil management.  I may be returning to the "Government" model as an EDC for a while.  Testing will tell.
I've been thinking exactly the same thing.

When, if, when, if, when (you get the idea)  I get another .45, it will be a full sized 1911, or "Government" model.

Could be next year, or something like that...so many different guns I want, and so little time and money.

I'm glad I got the Beretta last year, but I had it in mind to get a RIA Government model first...then came the love at first sight.  Sigh.  Woe is me at the LGS!

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 05:28:10 AM »

I've been thinking exactly the same thing.

When, if, when, if, when (you get the idea)  I get another .45, it will be a full sized 1911, or "Government" model.

Could be next year, or something like that...so many different guns I want, and so little time and money.

I'm glad I got the Beretta last year, but I had it in mind to get a RIA Government model first...then came the love at first sight.  Sigh.  Woe is me at the LGS!

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

If I consider another RI 1911, it will probably be one of the two shown.  The "Ultra" has a few more features for a little more money (VZ grips, fiber optic front sight).  The "Standard" is more than suitable for carry, but I would put my Hogue rubber finger-groove wrap-around grips on it.

While I don't necessarily care for an ambidextrous safety, I can see its use when transitioning from one hand to another.  A good Beavertail grip helps in managing recoil and getting the hand up on the backstrap as high as possible.  I do have an earlier FS Tactical, which is essentially the same as the new Standard FS.  When new, I had to file the top of the front sight to bring the POI up slightly and replaced the recoil spring with a Wolf #18 unit to make it feed reliably with all ammunition. I also had to adjust the over-travel and put blue thread-locker on the adjustment screw. All were minor things to make it run the way I wanted it to run.

I have three RI 1911 pistols (FS Government, FS tactical, and CS Tactical) and I don't feel bad about it at all. Solid performers all.  I need a MS Tactical to fill in the blank. (FS = Full Size or 'Government model', MS = Medium size or 'Commander' model, and CS is Compact size or 'Officer' model.)

For the money, it is hard to beat a RI 1911 if you are just looking for basic carry pistol without investing in a lot of upgrades.  I recently read an article where a gunsmith took a RI 1911 FS and turned it into an $1100 pistol. It can be done, but...

Rock Ultra FS - 45 ACP (51486)

[attach=1]

Rock Standard FS - 45 ACP (M1911-A1 FS TAC - 51431)

[attach=2]

flyover

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »
I have owned 2 1911 pistols. One was a military parts gun with an Essex frame. The only ammo it would handle was hardball,anything else was jamb-o-matic. The military parts were soft  and before to long the hammer would drop when then the safety was released. Eventually the parts were junked and the frame sold off.
The second was a real nice pistol in .38 Super. Back when it was built Colt chose to head space  on the semi rim of the cartridge ad not on the mouth of the cartridge like they did with the .45. I don't remember it being picky with ammo but I do remember that accuracy was nonexistent.
With the .45 I didn't have the money or time to invest in better parts and didn't find out until the .38 Super was gone that the common fix for the .38 Super was to either have the barrel bushed to head space on the mouth or purchase a barrel that was already that way.
Ended up with 3 different Glocks in .45 APC and haven't looked back.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 03:47:47 PM »
I have owned 2 1911 pistols. One was a military parts gun with an Essex frame. The only ammo it would handle was hardball,anything else was jamb-o-matic. The military parts were soft  and before to long the hammer would drop when then the safety was released. Eventually the parts were junked and the frame sold off.
The second was a real nice pistol in .38 Super. Back when it was built Colt chose to head space  on the semi rim of the cartridge ad not on the mouth of the cartridge like they did with the .45. I don't remember it being picky with ammo but I do remember that accuracy was nonexistent.
With the .45 I didn't have the money or time to invest in better parts and didn't find out until the .38 Super was gone that the common fix for the .38 Super was to either have the barrel bushed to head space on the mouth or purchase a barrel that was already that way.
Ended up with 3 different Glocks in .45 APC and haven't looked back.

1911-based pistols nowadays are much more refined than yours of yore. It is almost rare to find one that won't run anything that you put in it.The beauty is that a decent 1911-based pistols, with all of the bells and whistles, are affordable.  My pre-ban Norinco "Copy of the 1911" pisto0ls is still one deadly shooter and its a plain Jane (with the exception of the original three dot sights) "Government" model.