Author Topic: An Insight Into Sights!  (Read 824 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
An Insight Into Sights!
« on: November 12, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »
Good article!

I've been thinking about XS Big Dot Sights for the Ruger SR1911CMD-A and this article made the argument with myself about getting them more viable.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2015/10/19/misconceptions-about-pistol-sights/
Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: An Insight Into Sights!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »
I agree with the major premises of this article.

To this day I still have iron sights on my Remington 700 30-06.  I've never thought I needed anything more.  Last range trip (about 2 weeks ago) confirmed that I'll be waiting at least another year before considering any type of optic device, like a scope.
I may look into a graduated peepsight arrangement, with a hood on the front sight for enhanced visibility...but scope?...eh, not yet.  Talk to me in about 5 years or so.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: An Insight Into Sights!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:47:32 AM »
Sights! We don' need no stinkin' sights!

After running CR's Bare Bones Gun Fighting course this past weekend, with taped rear sights, sights are secondary to target focus.  With that said, I'm not about to remove my sights on my fighting handgun. And, with that said, I found that the existing sights on the Ruger SR1911CMD-A (three dot with my fluorescent red front sight) were more than adequate for daytime, outside work.  I still may go with the XS Big Dot sights simply for low-light work.  At our indoor range that I frequent, the lighting (fluorescent) plays with my eyes and it doesn't really matter what sights I am using;  the sights are all blurry and I use them more of a guide to ensure that the barrel is pointed in the correct direction.

For my MSRs, Beretta CX4 Storm, and GD defense shotgun, I rely on a red dot sight and have mechanical back-up sights.  I'm good out to about 100-yards with these setups.  Anything further than that, I need some amplification to pull the target into a clearer view.

My M1A has a "ghost" site and it works well.  The Ruger Gunsite Scout also has a "ghost" site but I opted for a forward mounted 2-7x32 LER scope, but have still retained the original sight (rear ghost site) for back-up.

All of my "hunting" rifles are scoped because fixed sights were not part of the rifle package.

When it comes to personal defense handguns, where you may not have time to acquire the sights, I can see the value of a laser.  However, a reliance on instinctive or "point" shooting may be called upon more than hoping you get to the sights in enough time to mount a defensive or counter-offensive action.

I'm still on the fence regarding red dot sights on a fighting handgun.  Perhaps, because I am not well-versed in their application on a handgun.

The way that I look at it, if using an optic enhances your capability to hit what you need to hit - use it.
Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.