Author Topic: Left Handed Handling of the Glock Pistol  (Read 2358 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Left Handed Handling of the Glock Pistol
« on: October 14, 2015, 05:16:42 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48gZVz03lGc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48gZVz03lGc</a>

or view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48gZVz03lGc
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Left Handed Handling of the Glock Pistol
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 06:21:03 AM »
One day I'm a gonna have to get me a Glock.  At least that way I'll know, first hand, what all the rage is about.

I get emails from SI nearly every week, and often times there's VERY NICE looking Glock Barrel/Receiver groups for sale.  That interests me a great deal.  Those mods look like they drastically increase a Glock 's accuracy and dependability.
But then, I've never owned one, yet, so my opinion is exactly that, opinion.

Someday, someday.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 07:46:31 AM »
One day I'm a gonna have to get me a Glock.  At least that way I'll know, first hand, what all the rage is about.

I get emails from SI nearly every week, and often times there's VERY NICE looking Glock Barrel/Receiver groups for sale.  That interests me a great deal.  Those mods look like they drastically increase a Glock 's accuracy and dependability.
But then, I've never owned one, yet, so my opinion is exactly that, opinion.

Someday, someday.

To tell you the truth, and in my opinion, Glock pistols work fine out of the box. However, there are not a "fit all for all" firearm.  I own several Glock pistols and I appreciate them for what they are.  For a first Glock, and in my opinion, the GEN 4 G19 (9mm) is a good choice.  The only changes that I have made to mine is to add a Hogue finger-groove grip sleeve to accommodate my hand.

When I attend CR's training course in November, my EDC (the Ruger SR1911CND-A) will be the primary firearm.  The Glock G30 SF (.45 acp) will also be accompanying me. The G30 SF also has a Hogue finger-groove slip on grip.  Other than that addition, the pistol is box stock and works just fine, thank you.

If your local range has one to rent, try one out.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

pop pop

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:32:18 AM »
I have a Glock Mdl 19, generation 3, 9MM that will eject spent brass at your head or chest, if it is not full power ammo. Win White Box practice ammo spent casings will hit you between the eyes, SOMETIMES. Federal practice amm, no problem. Also full power self defense ammo, no problem. I like my Glocks! YMMV

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
I have a Glock Mdl 19, generation 3, 9MM that will eject spent brass at your head or chest, if it is not full power ammo. Win White Box practice ammo spent casings will hit you between the eyes, SOMETIMES. Federal practice amm, no problem. Also full power self defense ammo, no problem. I like my Glocks! YMMV

It sounds like you might want to stick with Federal for practice.  As a comparison, Federal American Eagle 115-grain FMJ runs out the barrel at about 1180fps but has 355 ft. lbs. of energy and Federal American Eagle 124-grain FMJ runs at 1150fps and 365 ft. lbs. of energy; whereas, Federal American Eagle  147-grain FMJ sends the bullet out of the barrel at 1000fps and has 325 ft. lbs. of energy.

If you are running, say, Remington Golden Sabre ammunition for self-defense, the 124-grain projectile is exiting a 4" barrel at about 1125fps and has 349 ft. lbs. of energy.  Your practice ammunition could actually be hotter than what you use for self-defense.  I have noticed this even with some of the practice ammunition that I use (230-grain, .45 acp)

Recoil energy can affect the ejection trajectory.  I really don't where the spent shells eject as long as they do eject, if you know what I mean. ;D

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »
I'm pretty much all Glock all the time as a rule, but many if not most of the ones I have do have either an internal or an external modification if not both. They're as easy as ARs to modify and accessorize and I can shoot them with acceptable accuracy and I don't have to clean them every time I shoot them. And that's about the size of it for me and Glocks.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

LEJoe

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »
I'm pretty much all Glock all the time as a rule, but many if not most of the ones I have do have either an internal or an external modification if not both. They're as easy as ARs to modify and accessorize and I can shoot them with acceptable accuracy and I don't have to clean them every time I shoot them. And that's about the size of it for me and Glocks.

What he said. Plus, most of the police, Federal, and state LEO's that I come in contact with carry GLOCKS. There is a reason for that. I just HAD to buy one. Glad I did. Bottom line is the guys that really know and have their lives depend on their guns depend on GLOCK. Haven't found a good reason to doubt them. Good enough for me.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »
THAT DOES IT!

Next pistol will be a G...Gl...Glo....eh, eh, uh...Glock.  There, I said it.

Unless of course something else grabs my affections on the way to the LGS.

That's why I have a Beretta PX4 instead of a RIA .45 now.

Just sayin

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 04:47:48 AM »
THAT DOES IT!

Next pistol will be a G...Gl...Glo....eh, eh, uh...Glock.  There, I said it.

Unless of course something else grabs my affections on the way to the LGS.

That's why I have a Beretta PX4 instead of a RIA .45 now.

Just sayin

There is nothing wrong with also owning a RIA .45.  I look at them like my Bersas; they are excellent pistols for the money.  Aside from replacing the recoil spring with a Wolf unit and replacing a thumb safety with a better unit, I have zero complaints about them and would carry one for SD.  With that said, and for a few dollars more, the Ruger SR1911 series of 1911-based pistols is also worth considering; I have had zero issues with my SR1911CMD-A.

However, back to the Glock.  It took me a long time to warm up to them, and I am not a total Glock convert and don't expect to be, but I would like a long slide (G17L) version to add to the stable.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 05:41:50 AM »
Consider a G35 by way of long-slide, Taurian. .40 S&W to start with but you can get barrels and internals (not many of which are needed, just an extractor for 9mm) to run .357 Sig and 9mm off the same platform.

Or you could go with the 10mm long-slide and run that and .45 ACP.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 06:15:34 AM »
Consider a G35 by way of long-slide, Taurian. .40 S&W to start with but you can get barrels and internals (not many of which are needed, just an extractor for 9mm) to run .357 Sig and 9mm off the same platform.

Or you could go with the 10mm long-slide and run that and .45 ACP.

Interesting!  I will look into the options that you mentioned. Thanks.