Author Topic: New Knife  (Read 2249 times)

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
New Knife
« on: September 30, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »
Hello one and all,
For many years, I've thought it cool to buy a new knife every year, to sort of mark the time, so to speak.

The last few years, I've cut back to a new knife every two years, and a new gun every two years as well...but this is about a knife, so I'll stick to that for this post.

Two years ago I found a Cold Steel Recon 1 at a LGS in Butte, Montana.  It was a older model that had a modified Tanto blade and a blade lock that Cold Steel no longer uses primarily (so I'm told) because it infringed on a Benchmade trademark. 
I've been carrying that CS Recon 1 since Fall of 2013 and the wear and tear shows on the pic attached.

This year I almost did not follow my own set tradition, a new knife every 2 years, but was so impressed by the knife that arrived today via FedEx, that I kept with tradition and purchased one for my very own.

The new knife is called the "Rawles Voyager XL 50/50", and is a "Limited Edition", and sports a half serrated Tanto blade.  This is the only configuration Cold Steel makes where a Tanto blade is half serrated on either the Recon line, or the Voyager line (I think).  Henceforth, one could get a plain edge, or a full serration on the XL blades, but not half.  I'm pretty sure I am correct in what I'm saying.  Of course, if I'm incorrect, please set me straight because I like half serrated blades.

Anyway, here's a pic of the two knives together, the old and the new.

EDITED to add timeline details.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:36:35 PM by oldranger53 »
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

oldranger53

Re: New Knife
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »
Hummm, I'm thinking perhaps I should shrink the image for better quality.
Stand by

EDIT:
Ok that's at least a little better.
I've let my computer skills lapse in recent years.
Sorry.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »
That is a wicked looking blade, fur sure!
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:23:29 PM »
Of all the addictions to be saddled with, guns and knives are the two that give me the most trouble.  Nuts!
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 01:35:29 PM »
Of all the addictions to be saddled with, guns and knives are the two that give me the most trouble.  Nuts!

Being a liberal's nightmare more than makes up for our addiction.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:43:24 PM »
The aluminum liner against the blade and rotating surfaces seems to make for a very smooth opening and closing.

This makes the 4th Cold Steel knife I've owned, and it is by far the smoothest and most solid feeling.
First there was the 6" Voyager (no longer produced...only 5.5" lengths), then there was the Spartan (4.5" blade), and past that the Recon 1 (4" blade), and now this version of the Voyager with the 5.5" blade.

I sent the first Voyager to one of our ex members (former GT member) back in 2011, after carrying it for about 6 years. That gift left a void in my EDC knife pool and so the Spartan took it's place and held it until July 2012 when I gave it to my son-in-law on Whidbey Island, WA for his bug-out stash.
I was essentially without a formidable folder until about December 2013 when I saw that Recon 1 at a LGS in Butte, MT...and just had to have it (Suzi briefly argued that I didn't need another knife like that until I reminded her that I'd given my Spartan to John on Whidbey Island).

I didn't use the Recon 1 for anything except EDC until earlier this year when it became more and more useful at work.  It's not so pretty as it used to be since using it all summer in the ICE business.
I have been a "good boy" this year, over and over, so I cautiously mentioned to Suzi that I'd really like to have a new knife this year.
When she seemed to approve, I jumped on it and ordered it before that money got spent on something else.
5 days later, FedEx brought it to our door.  It was waiting for me when I got home from the road that day.

It's very smooth in operation, and lightweight too.

The somewhat "hollow ground" blade makes it appear something like a pointy straight razor, with teeth.

I'm not planning on using it for mundane things, unless no other options exist at the time.  I'll keep it EDC as long as possible.
2 years seems about right.

Cheers!

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
I have several Cold Steel knives with the latest being the "Kobun" that I EDC.  And, yes it is a fixed-blade knife, which is my preference.  With that said, I am looking for a good folder and one like yours just may fit the bill.

oldranger53

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 06:54:03 PM »
I have several Cold Steel knives with the latest being the "Kobun" that I EDC.  And, yes it is a fixed-blade knife, which is my preference.  With that said, I am looking for a good folder and one like yours just may fit the bill.

I have considered EDC a fixed blade for some time.
So far, I haven't felt I had an acceptable carry option.

I believe that if I could get a horizontal sheath that hugged my belt, about at the 7-8 o'clock position, drawing to the left, I might go for it.  The Kobun you mention is one that I'd consider for myself.  I like that style.
You know of any sheaths like what I mention above?

EDITED: Oh yeah, I was going to mention about the handle on the Voyager...the slight hook on the very end allows a grip very far back on the handle, effectively extending the reach of the tip of the blade by a couple inches.  It makes for a broader spectrum of possible arcs, thrusts, perrys (sp?), and even blocks (in a pinch).

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 04:56:07 AM »

I have considered EDC a fixed blade for some time.
So far, I haven't felt I had an acceptable carry option.

I believe that if I could get a horizontal sheath that hugged my belt, about at the 7-8 o'clock position, drawing to the left, I might go for it.  The Kobun you mention is one that I'd consider for myself.  I like that style.
You know of any sheaths like what I mention above?

EDITED: Oh yeah, I was going to mention about the handle on the Voyager...the slight hook on the very end allows a grip very far back on the handle, effectively extending the reach of the tip of the blade by a couple inches.  It makes for a broader spectrum of possible arcs, thrusts, perrys (sp?), and even blocks (in a pinch).

An option you may consider is the TDI Law Enforcement knife.  I carry this one more than the Kobun.  There are two different versions and you can read my review of them @ http://guntoters.com/blog/2011/11/19/the-ka-bar-tdi-%E2%80%93-tactical-sense-for-self-defense/ and http://guntoters.com/blog/2011/11/22/ka-bar-tdi-law-enforcement-knife-the-long-version/.

The great thing about these knives is that the holster is reversible and can be worn OWB or IWB.  These are; however, intended for defensive use.  They are also strong enough for everyday use. The blade length falls below most state restrictions.  Mine is carried weak side with handle forward for two reasons; concealability and I prefer the blade-back position when drawn from the holster.