Author Topic: .45 ACP vs 9mm: 14 Experts Give Their Answers  (Read 2850 times)

RayMich

.45 ACP vs 9mm: 14 Experts Give Their Answers
« on: September 15, 2015, 12:53:38 PM »
Looks like I am with the majority...

The 9mm was the unanimous choice for the same reasons as mine, with two choosing BOTH.

.45 ACP vs 9mm: 14 Experts Give Their Answers
http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/45-acp-vs-9mm-ammo/

The Round Table Has Spoken! Are you surprised that it ended up being a landslide from those who decided in favor of 9mm?

- Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
Re: .45 ACP vs 9mm: 14 Experts Give Their Answers
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 01:12:58 PM »
Actually I'm not surprised.  The 9's have been getting a lot of good press the last year or so.  Seems there's not enough meaningful difference in ballistics between the two which makes the 9's on board load a salient factor.  I've a Browning 9mm (they only made it for a couple years) and am thoroughly pleased with its performance.  For me, if I'm not carrying a double stacked .45acp I'm carrying the Browning.  The exception is if I'm feeling the need for a 50yd gun, then it's the Kimber Gold Custom Combat in .45acp.  It hasn't the onboard load but it is definitely a tack driver.
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

RayMich

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
I learned to shoot a handgun when I was 10 years old with my dad's service 1911 Colt .45 pistol. Myself, as well as my brothers and sisters became quite proficient with dad's 1911 pistols. However, I do not own any .45 caliber handgun, never have. I have always been partial to high capacity firearms, be they rifles, shotgun or pistols. And I have always been impressed by the virtues of a high capacity 9mm pistol loaded with high quality self defense ammo. I like the idea of being able inflict multiple leaks as quickly as possible if needed.

The phase, "I wish I had brought LESS ammo, said NO ONE who ever survived a gun fight" always keeps coming to mind every time I see a discussion about caliber and ammo capacity.
- Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 02:13:10 PM »
The .45acp was the first semi-auto pistol I ever fired.  Learned to use it and carried it during most of my military career.  I have no greater reason for my fondness than that.  I have a Browning 9mm that I really like and do carry often when I anticipate needing a "double stack".
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »
I'll stick with "Quick, effective, accurate bullet placement trumps ballistics, every time."
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 05:58:58 AM »
I'll stick with "Quick, effective, accurate bullet placement trumps ballistics, every time."

Except that it doesn't every time. It does most of the time but not every time.

Given a choice I want accurate placement and choose that over poor terminal performance. Accuracy is still King but terminal performance is the Queen of effectiveness and when I can I want to be in Her Majesty's good graces as well.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
To paraphrase one of the opening statements, "Current ammunition ballistics will do the job, if I do mine - regardless of caliber."

While I have my choice of caliber, it really does not matter if I (and the firearm) cannot deliver the mail effectively.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

flyover

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
I am sure that someone will be along shortly with another panel of experts that favor the .45 ACP.

I liked Erik Lund's final sentence, "And bigger holes bleed faster." It does not take much expansion to turn a .45 into a .50. 

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 12:24:04 PM »
Both 9mm and 11.45mm have come a long way since the early days of both of these cartridges and can only be improved so far.  Advancements of the 9mm are such because the cartridge is more popular over the .45 acp; however, the .45 acp is still the cartridges others are compared with and to.

If a person can handle a 9mm cartridge; for example the Hornady 147-grain FTX traveling at about 964 fps at the muzzle, then they could surely handle the Hornady 185-grain FTX that is rated at 900 fps at the muzzle of a .45 acp handgun.  If so, it all comes down to capacity; I can stuff more in my magazine than you can, na-na-na-na-boo-boo!. 

One of than answers to the question, "Why do you carry a 45?" is "Because they don't make a 46!" What's a 9mm user going to answer to why they carry a 9mm? "Because they don't make a 9.1mm?

I have been to an autopsy on a person shot with a 9mm.  I have seen autopsy photos of a person shot with a .45.  They are one reason why I carry .45 acp, expert opinions be damned.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »
...I have been to an autopsy on a person shot with a 9mm.  I have seen autopsy photos of a person shot with a .45.  They are one reason why I carry .45 acp, expert opinions be damned.

See...
Thompson-LaGarde, at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson%E2%80%93LaGarde_Tests
and Martin Fackler, at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Fackler

Yup. I second the motion.
Steve,

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 05:37:35 AM »

<snip>

...expert opinions be damned.

"Ex" = has been.

"Spert" = drip under pressure.

All kidding aside, my number one criteria in choosing caliber is,

"What do I want in my hand when my life (or loved one's lives) is on the line?"

How do I feel when shooting this or that caliber?

What happens to a target when the projectile in question makes contact with it?

Does it shatter, or does it merely have holes in it?

Those are silent questions in the back of my mind regarding caliber debates.

There's no magic caliber, only combinations of conditions that lead up to satisfactory or unsatisfactory performance.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
What you are most comfortable with and what you can be the most effective with is the bottom line.
If I were an expert I would most certainly not be telling anyone else what would be the most effective for them to use. Each person must decided for themselves . . . . .

But then again I am no expert so pay no attention to me.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
The Great and Wonderful Oz, to Dorothy Gale: "Pay no attention to that man in the Mighty Mouse costume..."
Steve,

LEJoe

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
Here I come to save the day! Mighty Mouse is on his way!  ;D   Now THAT was a great cartoon!