Author Topic: Glock Leson Learned!  (Read 1876 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Glock Leson Learned!
« on: August 09, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
I was at the range this morning taking the Glock G43 through some ammunition testing.  I can happily report that the G43 took everything that was fed to it and spit it out.

I had six different manufactures of 124-grain ammunition:

• Georgia Arms 124-grain FMJ (1150 fps)
  • Remington Golden Sabre 124-grain BJHP (1125 fps)
  • Fiocchi 124-grain XTPHP (1290 fps)
  • Remington 124-grain Ultimate Defense (1125 fps)
  • Monarch brass-cased 124-grain JHP (no velocity rating found. However, Monarch brass-cased 124-grain JHP is Manufactured in Serbia; it is essentially PPU, which is rated at 1132 fps for the comparable product)
  • Hornady Critical Defense 115-grain FTX
The Fiocchi 124-grain XTPHP (1290 fps) is in the +P+ range and is a handful with the G43.  I think that this round would be better in a larger pistol or possibly the CX4 Storm.

I was surprised that the Georgia Arms and Monarch provided such good performance with the G43 especially considering that this ammunition is relatively inexpensive.

However, the point of this post is not to expound on ammunition performance but is to pass on some information directly from a Glock employee who happens to work at the range on weekends.

He noticed that I had added a "butt plug" to the G43, which covers the hole at the bottom of the grip.  He warned me about using one in any Glock.  The hollow grip frame, he explained, is to allow gases and debris to escape from the pistol should I experience a catastrophic failure of a round, such as case separation or a blow-out.  He told me that Glock has actually seen a destroyed G19 where a case blew out,  destroyed the firearm, and injured the shooter.  They grip plug prevented the gases and debris from venting away from the shooter.  I immediately removed the plug.

When I got home, I removed all grip plugs from my Glock pistols.  The grip plug does finish off the gun's appearance.  Apparently, they can also finish off a shooter during a catastrophic cartridge failure.

I listen to people who know what they are talking about.  He once warned me away from stainless steel guide rods in Glock pistols, as they have seen numerous pistols destroyed by these guide rods.

The bottom line is: if you own a Glock pistol and have installed a grip plug - remove it and let the force of a catastrophic round failure go elsewhere.

Thanks for listening.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Glock Leson Learned!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 10:38:49 PM »
No problem.

I'm not familiar with these "butt plug" devices on Glock mags.  I'll have to look it up!

Thanks!

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

EDITED:
Just did a quick search and found this on Amazon. ..

http://www.amazon.com/Plug-Medium-Large-Frames-Glocks/dp/B003WG95H8

Naturally, it's still a mystery to me.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 04:43:21 AM »
No problem.

I'm not familiar with these "butt plug" devices on Glock mags.  I'll have to look it up!

Thanks!

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

EDITED:
Just did a quick search and found this on Amazon. ..

http://www.amazon.com/Plug-Medium-Large-Frames-Glocks/dp/B003WG95H8

Naturally, it's still a mystery to me.
It seems that there is a mixture of advice on this subject; some say the "butt plugs" are alright to use because they keep debris from getting inside the pistols and some say not to use them for the reason stated in the article.

Another source states that catastrophic failures are rare and occurrences of such were with people who hand-load the ammunition and load to hot; apparently this was common among those who load .40 caliber ammunition. Since the Glock barrel does not fully support the rim of the cartridge at the bottom, and if the rim neck separated due to an over-charged load, the debris from the kaboom would force the magazine out of the pistols and possibly injure the shooter.  With an open grip, the force of the kaboom is directed out the grip rather than against the magazine. With factory ammunition, the possibility of a kaboom is minimal.

With that said, I reinstalled all butt plugs in the Glocks that I have.  I do not use any of my Glocks for SD or HD and either range ammunition or factory loads are fired through them. I figure that my chances of a experiencing a kaboom is nil.

The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

pop pop

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 05:08:31 AM »
Taurian, does the Rem Golden Saber and the Rem Ultimate Defense ammo use the same bullets?

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 05:43:08 AM »
Taurian, does the Rem Golden Saber and the Rem Ultimate Defense ammo use the same bullets?

It does appear that that bullet design is the same for both the Golden Saber and Ultimate Defense.  I carry the 230-grain Ultimate Defense load for the .45ACP.  The performance values seem to be the same as well for both.

flyover

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 08:45:22 AM »

He once warned me away from stainless steel guide rods in Glock pistols, as they have seen numerous pistols destroyed by these guide rods.

I Googled that part about the stainless steel guide rod. I had not heard of that before. I did install a stainless steel rod in my Model 21. It does not replace the entire guide rod. It is inserted into the opening of the guide rod. Its "purpose" was to cut down on the plastic rods ability to flex. I do not know if it was needed but have had no problems with it installed.