Author Topic: Taurus safety issues  (Read 3333 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
Taurus safety issues
« on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »
http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/guns/taurus-agrees-to-39-million-settlement-in-defective-pistol-case/
Brazil-based handgun maker Taurus has agreed to a $39 million settlement in a class action lawsuit alleging some of the company's most popular semi-automatic handguns can discharge when dropped and have a defective safety that allows the gun to fire even when it's engaged.
Time will tell.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Taurus safety issues
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 11:00:59 PM »
I don't want to say, "I told you so"...
But I told you so!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:43:08 AM »
I've had 4 Taurus firearms and I no longer consider Taurus firearms as a viable purchase.

• Model 85 Blue - Out of time from the factory - sold.
  • Model 85 stainless - Cylinder would bind after fast fire exercise - sold
  • Model PT92 - Blued - Failed to lock back after last round.  I tried Beretta magazines with no luck - sold
  • Model PT92 stainless - No problems but did not trust it after experience with other Taurus firearms - sold
The only Taurus in this household is me and will remain that way.

My Son-in-Law had a Taurus PT1911; two broken extractors later, he finally sold it.

I cannot recommend a Taurus firearm to anyone.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:39:17 PM »
Somehow, there just has to be a joke based upon Taurus and torus.
Maybe it'd have to do with having a hole in your head, if you bought a Brazilian pistol.

...Same goes for the supercharged Ford car, obviously named after a fish with a hole in it: "Turbot Torus."

My mind is spinning.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 05:38:30 PM »
My mind is spinning.

I'm afraid   ::)   mine is as well.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
From this perspective I think things are spinning out of control.
But then what do I know?

"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 05:37:18 AM »
This does remind me of the Remington Model 700 safety issue.  Remington knew about the issue, the designer of the trigger even knew about the issue, yet Remington failed to issue a recall.  Why? It would have cost the company lots of money to do the recall.  Eventually; however,  a settlement was reached (http://www.cnbc.com/2014/12/05/remington-to-replace-millions-of-model-700-rifle-triggers.html).

Springfield, upon the "remote possibility" that the XDs 3.3 9mm and .45 acp models could discharge when releasing the slide on a loaded magazine, performed a recall.

Ruger recalled their LCP, SR9, and LC9 pistols due to a "possible" safety issue when these pistols were dropped.

I consider Springfield, Ruger, and Windham Weaponry responsible firearm manufacturers.  If anything is "out of the ordinary" during manufacturing is observed, production is immediately shut down and the problem addressed.  Granted that some issues may rear their head in post-production that escaped the ADDI processes; the customer becomes the Evaluator. A responsible manufacturer will immediately address customer concerns.

It is always about who buys and uses your products.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:21:56 AM »

<snip>

It is always about who buys and uses your products.

That's for sure.

Recently the guy who gets lots of air time about suing Remington (because he killed his own son with a 700) has been in the news a few times.

Every time I see the fool, all I can think of is Muzzle Discipline, and how HE failed in one of the cardinal rules of firearm handling...Muzzle Discipline.

It doesn't matter (in case of the Remington 700 at least) if the gun fires while closing the bolt IF IF IF ya have the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

I know.
I know.

Remington is at fault...to a degree.  But to dismiss one's own culpability in a gun related death after one or two blatant violations of gun safety rules...well, it makes me want to vomit.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

LEJoe

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:34:23 AM »
Is this the guy who had his 700 fire through his camper killing his son on the other side?

flyover

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 03:46:26 PM »
Is this the guy who had his 700 fire through his camper killing his son on the other side?

If it is the guy I'm thinking of, he shot through a horse trailer or something like it.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 05:50:09 PM »
I am not certain of exactly what happened, other than the rifle discharged, the muzzle was pointed in a direction where his son was standing (or sitting).  The son died.  The man blames Remington, accepting zero blame for himself.  Typical human buck-passing.
Makes me nauseous.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

RayMich

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
In my opinion, Taurus claim to fame is that they are "cheap". Not only are they "cheap" in price, but also "cheap" in quality. The old addage that says "you get what you pay for" is very true with Taurus products.

I have seen a catastrophic failure of a Taurus pistol, where the pistol literally fell apart while the owners was trying to qualify for his Concealed Pistol License. He was finally able to complete the course of fire when the other instructor loaned him his Glock 19. I have also seen multiple stove pipes that were not the fault of the shooter.

Rossi is owned by Taurus. I had a brand new Rossi lever action rifles that was so FUBAR that it would not even chamber a round. Fortunately, I was able to get a full refund from the distributor. Getting a good Rossi firearm is the luck of the draw, with the majority of times falling on the "junk" side of the equation.

I have also read countless unfavorable reports from very reputable trainers regarding their personal experience with the poor quality of their Taurus pistols and revolvers.

Needless to say, I do NOT recommend any Taurus or Rossi products.

it all boils down to "How much do you value your life."
- Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »
Rossi is owned by Taurus. I had a brand new Rossi lever action rifles that was so FUBAR that it would not even chamber a round. Fortunately, I was able to get a full refund from the distributor. Getting a good Rossi firearm is the luck of the draw, with the majority of times falling on the "junk" side of the equation.

Both of my R92 LA rifles were traded off for the same reason - failure to chamber and, in the second case, failure to extract and chamber. 

Taurian is not associated with Taurus product nor is a spokesperson for such.

The stars should fall from the sky should I have another Taurus product.