Author Topic: Here I Go Again!  (Read 2367 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Here I Go Again!
« on: July 19, 2015, 03:26:15 PM »
After much discussion with myself, I thought that I would let you in on the conversation.

Lately, my mind has been straying and the thought of moving to the 9mm for EDC has been part of that stray.  I had to ask myself - self, why? I realized the answer this morning at the range.  I had not fired the XDs 4.0 45 in a while and with the first five rounds I was all over the target. I had to bear down with my crossed-pinky hold to achieve a good group.  Even with the 4" barrel of the XDs, the gun can be "flippant" in regard to the barrel rise.  I have to constantly remind myself to "Hold her Newt, she's a raring to buck!"  The third string of five rounds resulted in a 2" group at 15-yards.  That third string should have been the first string.

Earlier in the week I got to lay my hands on three pistols; a Glock G43, a M&P Shield, and a Ruger LC9s.  All three are fine pistols.  Of the three, I did not like the trigger on the LC9s; it was smooth but too long for my liking and I could not really find a sweet spot for my trigger finger.  The G43 was nice, light,  comfortable to hold, and exhibited the usual Glock trigger.  The M&P Shield just didn't feel right in my hand and the hinged trigger was somewhat unsettling (don't ask me why, it just was).

While I have two single-stack 9mm pistols (Sig Sauer P239 and Ruger SR9c), I need something that is compact but has the one thing that I look for (more of a desire) - a 4-inch barrel.  The only one that I know of is the XDs in 9mm.

The XDs 4.0 9mm is the heavier of the three (it is actually heavier than the XDs 4.0 45 when fully loaded).  I am fully familiar with the aspects of the pistol, I don't have to buy another holster (the XDs 9mm has the same dimensions as the 45 acp version), and Springfield is running one of their specials (three magazines free with on-the-belt magazine carrier - limited time offer).  The magazine capacity (7+1 and 8+1) ups the number of defensive rounds over the .45 acp version and the 9mm round means less felt recoil and better control of the pistol.

So, why am I posting this?

This is the point where you try to talk me out of it!  You should be saying, "Man up and master the 45!" but I'll accept more intelligent responses.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Here I Go Again!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 04:24:44 PM »
Here's one.

If you do it, you'll always WISH you had your .45.

How about that?

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »
All you need is a little more range time with your .45, plus a whole lot of dry-fire trigger practice.
Changing to a 9mm won't really help much: Your control problems will transfer to the newer pistol.

Change to a 9mm?
You'll be sorr-reee!

(I'm not one to talk: Remember that I had to switch to a .380, because of arthritic hands. Is that you, too?)
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 05:42:36 AM »
You'll have to get less extra stuff if you get the 9mm xD. Don't forget to get extra magazines. Three or four is not enough. (Says the guy with more loaded magazines for a single weapon than most people have magazines period.)

Put the .45 back in the safe. Put the 9mm on. Close the safe. Walk away. Don't look back.

For the record: I've taken a model of .45 from the person that owned it and shot it better than that person. Also for the record, I have both .45 and .40 and am considering getting a specific model of .40 just so I can convert it to .357Sig. What I carry is 9mm, what I shoot is 9mm, and what you will be shot with if you attack me is 9mm. An I'm pretty sure that neither one of us will care that it's not .45 as far as effect on you.

That said, another option: Go to a 200gr or 185gr .45 round. Maybe a +P if you go 185, but try standard pressure first.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 05:51:38 AM »
Of course, you are all correct.

I'm not giving up the 45, because I shoot it well enough in my other pistols that are chambered for it.  The Springfield XDs has been a challenge because of its thin grip that, of course, helps in concealing the pistol.  It is a challenge finding the correct grip on this gun that will wring out the best accuracy that I know the pistol is capable of delivering.  This is coming from a person who is comfortable gripping a Beretta 92FS with Hogue finger-groove grips, a Glock pistol (any size) that wear slip-on grips, or a GP-100 with Hogue finger-groove grips, just so the guns fit my hand.

While I don't have problems with arthritis, I do wear gloves when at the range and this is something that I realize I won't be able to do under abnormal circumstances and have to draw the XDs for use.

I practice with 230-grain ball ammunition, which the XDs likes.   At present, I carry Winchester PDX1 230 grain for defensive purposes in all of my 45s.  Switching to 185-grain may lessen the recoil and make the XDs more manageable.  Trying to find the best that works the best in the XDs will be an interesting experiment.

The money that I would spend on the XDs in 9mm flavor would buy a lot of practice ammunition and range time. Steve, you are correct in assessing that my poor control would transfer to the  XDs in 9mm flavor. The 9mm XDs is, after all, essentially the same gun sans caliber.  I'll be the first to admit that I don't make enough time for range work.

I'll also be the first to admit that since I have "retired", I find myself not wanting to get out among the English as much as before (which wasn't much in the first place).  Being a dedicated introvert does have its disadvantages.  However, when out among the English I have to be fully confident in my abilities (and my EDC's capabilities) of delivering the mail should the need arise - regardless of what caliber of firearm is hidden in the waistband.

In my line of thinking, that first cold bore shot is the most important; it sets the stage for subsequent follow-up shots.  In my line of thinking, the ,45 acp delivers a punch and not a slap like the 9mm.

So, where am I at today?  If I do decide to purchase the XDs in 9mm, it will because I want the pistol and not because I have a need to switch calibers. First things first - I need to man up and master the XDs in .45 acp.

Thanks, guys. You made me think a little more about it.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 05:22:44 AM »
Thickness of the grip is not as much of a factor as length of the grip when concealing the weapon.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »
Thickness of the grip is not as much of a factor as length of the grip when concealing the weapon.

Agreed. However, grip width does matter when trying to control the firearm once not concealed.

If you sat the XDs alongside the Glock G36 the difference in the grip width is substantial.  I like the grip of the G36.  In fact, mine has a Packmyr slip-on grip that adds just a slight more girth to the handle.  The G36 is a very comfortable gun in my hand and I can achieve a full two-handed grip on the firearm.  I was instantly comfortable with the G36 the first time to the range with it.

I am experimenting with two two-handed gripping methods with the Xds. The first is with my "pinky-crossed" position, which is a firm grip but slow to get into.  The second is the "pinky-under" grip with the shooting hand while using a full support hand grip. Even with a "pinky extension", this is the faster of the two methods. The little finger is place just behind the front slope of the "Pinky Rest" while the little finger of the support hand rest fills the gap on the "Pinky Rest."  I am also going to try these gripping methods without the magazine "Pinky Rest" to see if there is any difference.

When I shoot a single-action revolver, the little finger is under the base of the grip.  The second method is similar to the grip that I use when firing single-action revolvers and is quite natural to me.

I think that the 9mm version of the XDs, due to its lower recoil factor than the .45 acp version, would be naturally more controllable than its .45 acp brother.  But I don't know because I do not own the 9mm version - I can only surmise at this point.

I think that the major question to myself is if I am willing to undergo the expense of purchasing a XDs 9mm to find out.

flyover

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »
The nice thing about a 45 is that it does not have to expand to get to .451. Kind of a stretch  for the 9mm.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:11:38 PM »
The nice thing about a 45 is that it does not have to expand to get to .451. Kind of a stretch  for the 9mm.

And, everyone knows that you have to fire five 9mm rounds to equal a 45 ;D

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 03:40:31 PM »

;D    ;D    ;D    ;D    ::)
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 05:12:11 AM »

I think that the major question to myself is if I am willing to undergo the expense of purchasing a XDs 9mm to find out.

Sell a .45 or two. That will cover the cost.

www.inshadowinlight.com

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 05:16:55 AM »

And, everyone knows that you have to fire five 9mm rounds to equal a 45 ;D

All things considered I'd rather have five smaller holes than one bigger one IF those holes are not less than, say .35 in size AND/OR fired from a rifle (or some rifle-caliber pistols) instead of a pistol.

And two .22s equals .44. Now who's up for carrying .22 for counteroffensive use?...

Why don't I see any hands out there? The math is unquestionable!

I answer that question, by the way, in Volume 1. The short version: Accuracy is nothing without fight-stopping (not life-ending; not necessarily the same thing) terminal effect.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:31:06 PM by CR Williams »

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
Yep, the more I think about it, the more I'm seeing a pistol caliber carbine in my future rather than another pistol.

Always wanted one, so may as well take the plunge at some point.

As always, this (and other threads on GT) thread made me think and reevaluate my stuff, and needs, and...and...well, you get the idea!
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »
Yep, the more I think about it, the more I'm seeing a pistol caliber carbine in my future rather than another pistol.

Always wanted one, so may as well take the plunge at some point.

As always, this (and other threads on GT) thread made me think and reevaluate my stuff, and needs, and...and...well, you get the idea!

I recently "borrowed" from the retirement account to invest in a Beretta CX4 Storm to accompany the Beretta 92FS and 92FS Inox, which is why I am not in a hurry to invest in a 9mm XDs.

I'll produce my impression of the CX4 Storm at some point, but I have only run about 100 rounds through it thus far.  I will say that I have had no failures what so ever (so far) and I am working to get used to "His Shortness", as I have named it.

I decided on the CX4 Storm after firing my Son-In-Law's Kel Tec Sub 2000.  His uses Glock magazines, and although the Sub 200 can be found for Beretta magazine, I did not care for the gun itself.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 03:34:38 PM »
Sub2000 is a light-duty gun. I had one a long time ago and it work and shot well. But it's not a hard-fight gun.

I have a CX4 and two 'big pistols' in 9mm: Aero Survival Pistol and Masterpiece Arms 30DMG. I also have an AR pistol and an AK pistol. Not opposed to picking any one of them up for serious social interactions and recommend any of them over the 2K for anything beyond a range gun.

www.inshadowinlight.com