Author Topic: July 4th Crowds Ignore...  (Read 327 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
July 4th Crowds Ignore...
« on: July 05, 2015, 05:17:47 AM »
...call to boycott Georgia park over Confederate flag.

STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. (Reuters) - Fourth of July holidaymakers ignored a call to boycott Georgia's Stone Mountain Park, known as the "Confederate Rushmore," over its display of the contentious Confederate flag.

Hundreds of people had staked out spots at the 3,200-acre (1,295-hectare) privately run park by noon on Saturday for nighttime laser and fireworks shows. They shrugged off heavy rain on the park's busiest day of the year as well as the boycott call.

source: http://news.yahoo.com/july-4-crowds-ignore-call-boycott-georgia-park-203102664.html

Reading this gave me some kind of hope that there are still rational thinking people.

Ray Simpkins, of Kennesaw, Georgia, who brought his children to see the laser show, said the flag remains a reminder of the Confederacy's advocacy of slavery. "Although I don’t love it, I think there’s a place for it here,” said Simpkins, who is black. “But it shouldn’t fly next to the U.S. flag."
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.