Author Topic: armed citizen stopped a killer  (Read 1721 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
armed citizen stopped a killer
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/01/video-armed-citizen-intervenes-stops-mass-shooting-in-georgia-liquor-store/
On May 31, an armed citizen pulled his own gun and opened fire on an alleged attacker inside a Georgia liquor store, thereby ending a would-be mass shooting.

video on the page also
Time will tell.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: armed citizen stopped a killer
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 04:53:40 AM »
Good job.

Sent from phone. Typos possible.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

LEJoe

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 07:26:26 AM »
Good job.

Sent from phone. Typos possible.

+1

RayMich

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »
It is good that the customer intervened to stop the senseless killing, but he needs to get some training. It does not appear that any of his shots hit the attacker, allowing him to run away. Having caught him by surprise, he should've been able to drop him on the spot.

- Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 12:20:40 PM »
It is good that the customer intervened to stop the senseless killing, but he needs to get some training. It does not appear that any of his shots hit the attacker, allowing him to run away. Having caught him by surprise, he should've been able to drop him on the spot.

I agree on the training. However, it is the mindset that sets the response in motion.  Most, when encountering an armed individual for the first time, will pull their shots.  Some simply say, "I didn't want to shoot him - just scare him off."  Unfortunately, those shots that do not connect with the target do connect with something (or someone) else.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 05:03:50 PM »

I agree on the training. However, it is the mindset that sets the response in motion.  Most, when encountering an armed individual for the first time, will pull their shots.  Some simply say, "I didn't want to shoot him - just scare him off."  Unfortunately, those shots that do not connect with the target do connect with something (or someone) else.

Yeah, it's the mindset I think, that makes the difference between someone who just watches and ducks, and those who rise to the occasion and do, "something."

Man oh man, if more "J.Q.Public" would just rise up and do, "something" there would not be so much crap going on everywhere we look.

I'm getting old, everyone who knows me since 2004 (when me and Suzi got married), knows that I just can't sit on the sidelines and watch as someone drowns, metaphorically speaking.  I know my wife cringes whenever crap happens in our general vicinity, and I hear about it.  She knows.  She knows that I have a very hard time ALLOWING bad things to happen within a certain radius.
All real men have a radius in which they(we) cannot allow bad things to happen.
My radius is wherever I can see, usually a mile or so, and more if I'm elevated on some kind or rise in terrain.

Where's yours?  How far away will you allow bad things to happen, and not take action against it?

As I look around the social landscape, I am horrified at what I see going on.  Men, otherwise REAL MEN, are allowing really bad things to happen, even to their loved ones, and others, when they COULD take action against the evil and make a difference.

Yes, I know why.
Almost everyone is afraid.
Most are not afraid of the evil.  We all know what to DO about the evil.

What most are afraid of is the government taking action against US for doing something about the evil.

I know this guy (and about 99% of everyone else who can), do not know exactly how to accost and counter what they are exposed to, but hey, he tried.  What kind of world would we have if more people "tried?"

I don't know.

All I know is what kind of world we have now, and I want to vomit.

I say "bravo" to this guy.  He tried.

Sorry, this is a sore subject for me. 
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »
Man oh man, if more "J.Q.Public" would just rise up and do, "something" there would not be so much crap going on everywhere we look.
I recall a time when I was just a kid about eleven years old.  My Pappy had taken me into town with him to fetch some supplies.  He had hooked up the only mule that we had to the wagon.  At momma's insistence, Pappy agreed to take me along.  Momma said that she would have a hot apple pie ready for me when we got back.

The weather was starting to turn cold and I was bundled up pretty good for the trip.  Pappy and I got into town about noon and it was pretty quiet that day.  There were some people in the streets, but mostly it was quiet.  It was a small town, after all.

My Pappy never carried a gun, but he had an old shotgun that he hunted with. He had left it home with Momma, just in case (he never did tell me case is was just in for).  Pappy had been in the war and wasn't fond of guns much, but he had to have one to hunt with and protect us if it came to be.

We were in the general store when the gunfire started.  A couple of men were yelling and shooting their guns off in the air.  I could hear horses and people screaming as the gunfire got louder and closer.  My Pappy grabbed me and took me to the back of the counter.  He told me not to come out until he came to get me.  Boy, was I scared! I didn't know what to think. The other people in the store were trying to get out or hide behind something.

It only seemed like a minute when I heard more gunfire - lots of gunfire. Men were yelling, horses were screaming, and women were crying.  I kept popping my head up and the old man who owned the store kept pushing it down. I wanted to see what was going on!

After a bit, the gunfire stopped and a bunch of men ran into the street.  There were two bodies lying there in the street.  I ran outside and gazed at them, but I could not really see them because of the crowd of men gathered around them; everybody had a rifle.  I saw my pappy and ran up to him. He grabbed me, spun me around, and told me to get back to the store and wait for him.  That point was emphasized by him slapping the barrel of the rifle he had against my backside.

Much later, we headed for home.  I asked my Pappy about what happened.  He told me that a group of bad men had come into town to rob the bank.  He told me that some folks expected them and was planning to stop them if they tried to rob the bank.  He told me that he was not one of those men, but he knew that he had to do something.  After all, the money in the bank belong to all the town's people.  He said that the war brought out the bad in some people and it just wasn't right for bad people to steal from good people.

Pappy told me later that some of the bad men had been killed or captured by posses that were formed to hunt them down. A few, he said, got away - but when your a bad man there is always someone badder and that someone badder will always be on your tail.  He told me that good men must be better than the bad men; otherwise, the bad man keeps getting badder.

Anyway, this all happened on September 7, 1876 in Northfield, Minnesota.  I was just a kid, but I remember it like it was just yesterday.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.