Author Topic: I Just Should Have Spent the Money In the First Place!  (Read 2417 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
I Just Should Have Spent the Money In the First Place!
« on: May 31, 2015, 10:50:07 AM »
Since I had purchased the Windham Weaponry "SRC", I have been on a quest to find decent sights for it.  The "SRC" means "Sight Ready Carbine" that means it comes with no sight or optics.  Mounting a 'decent' optic was not the problem, and I have since zeroed in a red/green dot sight and a 3-9x40 tactical scope.  The back-up sights (BUIS) was the problem.

Rather than spending the money on a quality BUIS setup, I squandered the money on individual (and relatively inexpensive) sights.  That money could have been better put to use on a partial payment for a quality set of sights, which I found today.

I had taken the WW "SRC" to the range to zero the red/green dot sight that I had just mounted with a UTG high, QD 30mm scope ring set.  Once zeroed, I checked the co-witness of the mechanical sights and all was fine.

When I was checking out at the range, I showed the "SRC" to a new friend of mine and noticed that the pin that holds the rear sight (the flip-up part) was coming out of the frame.  I decided then and there to invest in a quality set of sight.

It just so happened that the range had a set of MBUS PRO steel sights from MAGPUL.  The front gas block of the 'SRC' needs a metal sight.  I had priced the same set on-line when I had purchased the 'SRC" (along with Diamond  and a few other expensive sights, and they were more than what I considered a fair price for a set of sights.  Today; however, the range was willing to work with me on costs and the purchase was made.

The sights were installed in less than a minute.  Surprisingly, the co-witness was the same as with the previous sights.  The MBUS PRO sights are flip sights that you must manually flip them into the up or down position; I never did care for the lever release type anyway.

The MBUS PRO sights look great on the rifle and augment the profile of the firearm.  More importantly, I am finally satisfied with the chosen sight setup.

The moral of this short story is:  Rather than spending money on something that doesn't satisfy, put the money on something that does; You save in the long run.

MBUS PRO Rear Sight (Stored Position):
[attachimg=1]

MBUS PRO Rear Sight (Deployed for Co-Witnessing):
[attachimg=2]

MBUS PRO Front Sight (Stored Position):
[attachimg=3]

MBUS PRO Front Sight (Deployed):
[attachimg=4]

Now, to get the rattle out of the Leapers A2 fixed stock that I just had installed. That is another story.

I had purchased the stock, but I do not have an AR Armorer's Wrench.  I bugged a friend of mine who has built two ARs and he agreed to change out the stock from the adjustable to the fixed.  Take it to say that I thought I knew what he was doing.

Upon removing the old buffer tube, he managed to let fly the buffer retention plunger and spring.  Luckily, we both were watching the parts fly and knew where they landed.

The second part of this excursion came when he removed the stock; the rear take-down pin spring went "sprionging" across the table. Luckily, I have two spare parts kit. They were; however, at home.  The spring was recovered and the installation proceeded.

What I did not realize, until today when I removed the stock to figure out where the rattling was coming from, I discovered that the rear take-down pin spring was bent at 90-degrees.  In short, it was FUBAR. Digging into the spare parts kit (this is why you keep spare parts like springs and things), I found the correct spring and replaced it.

The new fixed stock has a spacer that goes on the rear of the buffer tube.  It was obvious to me that I may need another spacer between the spacer and the buffer tube, as the spacer was (I felt) the cause of the rattling (my firearms need to shoot - not rattle).  Rather than attempt a SWAG (Stupid Wild-A** Guess) as to what width spacer I needed, a quick trip to my local Harbor Freight resulted in my purchasing a set of assorted O-rings (397 of them in the kit, of which 395 of them will probably never be used again).  The EWAG (Educated Wild-A** Guess) O-rings were selected and the stock re-fitted to the rifle while taking care not to distort the rear Take-down pin spring.  While I have muffled the rattle, I have not eliminated it completely yet; I may have to do more shimming.

The moral of this part of the story is; Regardless of how many "AR builds" somebody has performed, it does not mean that they know what they are doing.  If you have the tools, and feel confident that you can do the job yourself, please do so.  Otherwise, seek out a competent and qualified gun smith to do the work for you.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: I Just Should Have Spent the Money In the First Place!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 02:50:28 PM »
...Another moral homily for ending the same story:
Develop a close, friendly relationship with your nearby professional gunsmith.
You will be amazed at what you will learn, and how much work he will help you with, sometimes at no charge.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 04:30:22 PM »
...Another moral homily for ending the same story:
Develop a close, friendly relationship with your nearby professional gunsmith.
You will be amazed at what you will learn, and how much work he will help you with, sometimes at no charge.

I am a rare bird; I like homily and grits - usually with two eggs over easy.  ;)
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:49:28 PM »
...Another moral homily for ending the same story...

I am a rare bird; I like homily and grits - usually with two eggs over easy.  ;)

When Jean and I were visiting her mother's family in Birmingham (Alabama, you all), I sent shock waves through the entire group of relatives when I added pancake syrup to my buttered grits.
"Only a damn' Yankee would do that..." I heard someone mutter.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

flyover

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 07:45:51 AM »
Regarding the sights; the saying of "Buy once, cry once.", comes to mind. Heaven knows I thought I had "good" parts and then found out they were not worth the money spent on them.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
...Another moral homily for ending the same story...

When Jean and I were visiting her mother's family in Birmingham (Alabama, you all), I sent shock waves through the entire group of relatives when I added pancake syrup to my buttered grits.
"Only a damn' Yankee would do that..." I heard someone mutter.

You guys = youse guys = you all = y'all = ya'll.

I prefer my grits like "Cream O Wheat" cereal; milk, butter, and honey (or sugar).  White rice is also preferred this way.  And, yes I am a Damn Yankee!

I will also eat grits and rice as they are meant to be eaten - when in the company of strangers.

More Porridge, Sir!

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 07:57:48 PM »
You know hindsight is 20/20  :o
Time will tell.