Author Topic: Writing instruments  (Read 1814 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Writing instruments
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:00:09 AM »
The issue I have with most 'tactical' pens is two-and-a-half fold: For a while, they were all pretty expensive, they were all ball points which I don't like to use, and the half issue is I'm hearing reports that sometimes they are now being confiscated by various security people sometimes.

I prefer rollerballs and I would like to have a fountain pen again. That given, I was pleased to come across the following items that I'll comment on very quickly:

The Schrade Tactical Pen. I have one that's supposedly brown, but in reality it looks more like a nice dark/flat bronze to me. The pen cover screws on and off and secures the same way to the body when you're writing. It's got a nice wide body, which is better for me, and is good and solid-looking as I suppose a 'tactical' pen should be. What I really like about it is that it comes with both a rollerball and a fountain pen tip, and can go either way. I am, however, disappointed in the way the rollerball cartridge writes--it's a very weak line that's more like a ballpoint than a rollerball. So until I see about a different cartridge that might work better, I have it in the fountain pen configuration which I am very pleased with. Price is in the 30-35.00 range, which seems reasonable for what I got.

A couple of stealth alternatives that I just got out of the packages a little while ago are the Zebra R-301 and V-301. R-301 is a rollerball, V-301 is a fountain pen. Stainless steel bodies a bit narrower than I like for writing but small and solid enough to drive through somebody's eye socket. I bet it'd make a hole in the trachea even with the flat ends it has. Best of all, they're standard Zebras and not at all 'tactical' in nature. However, the R-301 so far has the same weakness as the Schrade in rollerball form--it's a weak line that's more like a ballpoint. (ETA: Took some time to flow to the tip. Writes very well now.) Just got the cartridge in, so that may change as the ink flow is better established. The fountain Zebra writes quite well. Price on both is very reasonable at 3-5.00 each.

For now, I can recommend any of these as workable alternatives that aren't as obvious as other kinds of 'tactical pens' on the market.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:33:01 PM by CR Williams »
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Coastie

Re: Writing instruments
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:26:53 AM »
Well that's one thing we share, beside the love for firearms.
I, too enjoy a good pen and regularly use a rollerball Mont
Blanc that I picked up several years ago.  It is comfortable to
write with, always has ink to press onto a piece of paper and

there's not more I can add to that.  The refills are a little steep,
but oftimes I can get those on base where I bought the pen.

During m life I've been a collector of ink pens and have
numerous
of the old hand fed ink pens.  Where you hover
over an ink
bottle and work a lever or screw the cap in and
out to fill the
basin with ink.  They work just fine with me
and I like the way they too write.  I keep a rocker blotter
on my desk to blot the writing so it doesn't smear.

The roller ball is just like that, but it has a cartridge for the
ink, and is a little easier to use and fill.  I do, still have
some shirts that have ink stains on the pockets where a
pen leaked. 

So do you have many of those old pens, CR?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:43:36 PM by Coastie »

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:54:22 AM »
I don't have anything much beyond ten years old, Coastie, and nothing I remember as costing more than the 25-35 I paid for the S&W and Schrade pens I recently got. My best pen cost me 10.00 back when that was more like real money than it is now. I can't recall the brand. The Schrade and Zebra fountain pens are the first of those kind I've had in my possession for a few years now. I've run inexpensive rollerballs up to now.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Coastie

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 08:38:44 AM »
I hear you.  Of course I like the old nibs and pen holders.
Those were how I because interested in fountain pens,
of course just about all antique dealers deem these to be
antiques these days so they don't come cheap either.

I've got one hand blowned glass pen that works fairly well. 
It was/is sort of like a slim test tube with the end twisted
to hold he ink so it doesn't have a reservoir...Some of the
dime store fountain pens are the best though.  The funny
thing is that they still make and sell them...