Author Topic: You can never have too much ammo!  (Read 2668 times)

pstan13

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

RayMich

Re: You can never have too much ammo!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:38:15 PM »
This reinforces my reasons as to why I am a big fan of high capacity firearms and spare magazines.

"I wish I had brought LESS ammo" said NO ONE who ever survived a gun fight.
- Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

LEJoe

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:52:51 PM »
145 rounds sounds like a lot but, it is not really. Start adding 33 round mags and it doesn't take too many for the rounds to add up. After reading the OP I had to chuckle a little bit thinking how many years that 5 rounds in my S&W Chiefs Special was all I had on my person at any given time. Glad to say that those days are long gone.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 11:08:15 AM »
Interviewer: "Why did you shoot the man twelve times?"
Officer: "I was dissatisfied with the first six times."
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 01:17:20 PM »
I didn't read the entire account of the gunfight, but enough.
One of the things that came to mind was an old saying I heard, long ago.
"It's not the bullet addressed to YOU that you need to worry about.  It's the bullet addressed 'To Whom it May Concern' that will get you."

Last year when Suzi and I were growing more and more concerned with the ever degrading world situation, one of the counter-measures we took was retiring our 5 shot revolvers and picking up automatics; her's a .380 and mine a .40 S&W.
Essentially, we went from a "defense only" posture to a "defense-with offensive capability" posture.
When I used to load out with 15 rounds total, now there's 34 rounds in magazines on my person, 20 more in magazines in backpack, and another 20-40 in a box or two in same backpack.

In this small portion of American geography where we live, it's not the locals we worry about.  Nope, it's the miscreants from other parts of the state and neighboring states, who come here looking for easy marks.  Sometimes it happens, and we hear about it on the news.
Bad guys are not always dumb, ignorant slots looking for non-confrontational episodes with which to keep them in drugs and alcohol until their next conquest.  Sometimes they (Bad Guys) have focused ill intent, and prepare accordingly.

I agree with the notion that no one ever claimed that they wished they had LESS ammo after a gunfight.

Weather is great outside today!
I'm heading out to the property to continue installing the video surveillance system I think is necessary out there.  Ya just never know.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 05:25:06 AM »
I have a cousin who is a Las Vegas metro cop, he'll be the first to tell you, Vegas is definitely under maned when it comes to cops v crime, and we should be prepared to handle a violent attacker, he knows I carry, and says he's  glad I'm prepared to take care of not only myself, but my wife and family, it's unfortunate that allot of people live in a blinded stated of mind, thinking "bad thinks can't happen to me", I've heard neighbor claim "we live in a nice neighborhood, what crime do we need to worry about" but there have been recent break ins broad daylight in my neighborhood, when I first started carrying many years ago, I lived in a state of mind, 1 firearm with 1 loaded mags, was plenty to protect me and mine, maybe back then it was, it most certainly isn't today, as I still feel I'm not carrying enough ammo, but I do carry a spare mag, I just hope and pray I'll never need to find out if I have enough ammo on me
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

pop pop

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 06:21:16 AM »
I agree with "extra" ammo on board, but cops and citizens face much different situations where self defense is concerned. Also our exposure to violence is somewhat different as  the Police are constantly going into harms way that is frocked with danger, and the danger level for the citizen is lower, not gone completely, but much lower. I always have aorund 25 rounds on me and my swettie has her 5 shot Ruger with her also.

In the post I  made with the interview with Tom Givens, he gave actual results form 65 shootings in Memphis and the average round count was 3 rounds or less all in daylight,  in parking lots, and with robbery the motive. I just hope I will never need 125 rounds with me. Lord help me if I do! 

flyover

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 07:18:08 AM »
As the old saying goes, "Better to have it and not need it than needing it and not having it."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
I carried light today - only 6-rounds for the EDC while at the range attempting to zero a red-dot sight for the Windham. Of course, there were 5, 20-rounds magazines and 12, 10-round stripper clips stoked with 55-grain .223 HP ammunition in the AR 'possible' bag.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

RayMich

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 06:29:35 PM »
I live in a quiet, upscale suburban neighborhood. And yet, 3 years ago a recently retired Michigan State Police detective and his wife were brutally murdered in their home, in the middle of a bright sunny afternoon by a prisoner who was out on work release, just two miles from my home as the crow flies. Regardless of were we live, we are not totally immune from violent attacks.

I have often said, "As long as criminals have access to transportation, they can pop up anywhere, any time, in any number."

Just ask Dr. Petit in Cheshire, Connecticut how well the "nice upscale neighborhood" worked out for him and his family.
- Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

LEJoe

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 05:48:56 AM »
There are no safe havens anymore. Always be ready.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »
There are no safe havens anymore. Always be ready.

Right you are!

Sent from phone. Typos possible.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 12:42:15 PM »
Truly there never were.
People lived in a dream world and were happy.
now that dream world is becoming a night mare....
they are trying to wake up.
Time will tell.