Author Topic: Favorite Defense Gun The Beretta Jetfire 22 Short  (Read 2049 times)

Synthetic

Favorite Defense Gun The Beretta Jetfire 22 Short
« on: December 09, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »
On Bud's Gun Shop Forums the question came up: What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?

The best answer: My personal favorite defense gun has always been a Beretta Jetfire in 22 short.

Over all the years I've been hiking I never leave without it in my pocket. Of course we all know too the first rule when hiking in the
wilderness is to use the "Buddy System". For those of you who maybe unfamiliar with this it means you NEVER hike alone, you bring a friend or companion, even an in-law, that way if something happens there is someone to go get help.

I remember one time hiking with my brother-in-law in northern Alberta . Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear and man was she mad. We must have been near one of her cubs.  Anyway, if I had not had my little Jetfire I'd sure not be here today.  Just one shot to my brother-in-law's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace.

That's one of the best pistols in my safe...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:32:15 PM by Coastie »
Honesty vs Integrity...

Honesty is choosing to make the right decision...
Integrity is choosing to make the right decision even when it hurts...

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Favorite Defense Gun The Beretta Jetfire 22 Short
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:07:29 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:33:45 PM by Coastie »
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

DangeRuss

• MCRGO
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 05:21:47 PM »
lol Synthetic you dog you.oh and you forgot Al Gore invented the .22 short.

Russ
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:34:00 PM by Coastie »
"In God we trust All others pay cash"
Member of
NRA
GOA
MCRGO
SAF
Member ACLDN

Coastie

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:33:23 PM »
I like the Beretta M-21A (LR .22), the flip up barrel is nice as well, easy to clean and look through without a barrel light. 

Al Gore IS .22 short (of something....)
;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:19:27 AM by Coastie »

Synthetic

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »

Russ

He did Russ!
Honesty vs Integrity...

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."

jtg452

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 08:57:17 PM »
.32ACP is as low as I'll go.

I don't trust rimfires- I've had too many that didn't go BANG! the first try over the years.  On the range or hunting squirrels it's aggravating.  In a self defense situation, it could be fatal.

I considered the .25ACP back before I was old enough to buy a pistol and get a CCW.  I had that thought knocked out of my head after a midnight movie while I was still a teenager.  Two guys got to arguing in the parking lot- one sitting in a car and the other one was standing outside it beside the driver's side.  The guy in the car shot the other feller twice with a .25ACP from about 3 feet (as in 3 feet from the muzzle to the guy that was shot) with the gun having a FTF on the third round.  The guy that was shot reached into the car through the window, pulled the shooter/driver out of the car by the throat (he wasn't what you'd call 'a little feller' but appeared to be within a biscuit of 300 pounds) and beat on him until the police came.  The cops had to call 2 ambulances, one for the guy that was shot and another for the guy that did the shooting.

Synthetic

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
Shot placement trumps caliber.
Honesty vs Integrity...

jtg452

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 07:50:05 PM »

Yup.  But a larger caliber increases the 'fudge factor' for when you don't hit the STOP button flush.

Shawn Hoyle

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 06:30:50 AM »
Just one shot to my brother-in-law's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace.

Nice one! I'll have to remember to take one of my sister's ex-husbands on my next hike.

Other than my grandfather's old (1925) Danton .25 that doesn't cycle well, the smallest pistol cal. I own is a .380.
USAF
NRA
ACLDN
NAGR
CST

ďFreedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didnít pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

-Ronald Reagan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 05:45:47 AM »
.32ACP is as low as I'll go.

I don't trust rimfires- I've had too many that didn't go BANG! the first try over the years.  On the range or hunting squirrels it's aggravating.  In a self defense situation, it could be fatal.

I considered the .25ACP back before I was old enough to buy a pistol and get a CCW.  I had that thought knocked out of my head after a midnight movie while I was still a teenager.  Two guys got to arguing in the parking lot- one sitting in a car and the other one was standing outside it beside the driver's side.  The guy in the car shot the other feller twice with a .25ACP from about 3 feet (as in 3 feet from the muzzle to the guy that was shot) with the gun having a FTF on the third round.  The guy that was shot reached into the car through the window, pulled the shooter/driver out of the car by the throat (he wasn't what you'd call 'a little feller' but appeared to be within a biscuit of 300 pounds) and beat on him until the police came.  The cops had to call 2 ambulances, one for the guy that was shot and another for the guy that did the shooting.

After having a similar situation (though I didn't get beaten) with a .380 (Belgian made Walther PPK/S) I retired mine.  Any gun is better than no gun, but some more so than others.  Today I won't carry anything smaller than a .38+P.  The above experience, and mine, has me convinced.

I totally agree that "any gun is better than no gun", and one should carry whatever one can effectively handle.  I am also growing daily more concerned seeing the rising tide in support of smaller and smaller calibers.  It's almost as if a "false sense of security" is being built up cult fashion around them.  We seem to forget there are reasons why for years we've had the higher caliber "caliber wars". 

A converse argument can be made that if no handgun caliber is truly effective (and we hear that often) then in that statement is the very reason we should choose the largest caliber we can safely and effectively handle.
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

MilProGuy

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 08:16:13 AM »

Russ

Was that before or after he invented the Internet?  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Proud Veteran of the U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Synthetic

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »

Yup.  But a larger caliber increases the 'fudge factor' for when you don't hit the STOP button flush.
s

A "Larger Caliber" can be the reason the bullets misses the target...
Honesty vs Integrity...

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »

Please explain.
I am more accurate with a .45 than a .22
I am told that is the general rule.
thanks
Robert
Time will tell.

MilProGuy

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »

Please explain.
I am more accurate with a .45 than a .22
I am told that is the general rule.
thanks
Robert

I wondered about that statement too.
Proud Veteran of the U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired