Author Topic: Beretta PX4 Subcompact .40S&W  (Read 8152 times)

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Beretta PX4 Subcompact .40S&W
« on: November 04, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »
Hello everyone.

This year is Suzi's and my 10th wedding anniversary.
We bought each other the pistol of our choice.
Suzi wanted a Pink Taurus TCP .380 (more on that in another post).
I wanted a Beretta PX4 Subcompact in .40 S&W.

I haven't had the time to really get to know this pistol, yet, but preliminary feel, observations and overall "warm-fuzzies" are in the 9-10 range on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being as good as it gets.

I hope to get time (and weather) enough after hunting season to go out and run a hundred or so rounds through it.
When I do, I'll have more to say about it.  As of now I've only shot two magazines through it.  As of now I'm completely overjoyed with the performance!

Here's a couple pics to get started.

Ok. More to come!

Sent from phone.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: Beretta PX4 Subcompact .40S&W
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »
That's a stubby little critter! Nice looking - I like it!
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:01:47 PM »
That's a stubby little critter! Nice looking - I like it!

Like lyrics to and old song.

"Every day with you...
Is sweeter than the day before
Every day I love you more and more..." old PX4!

Over the weekend I worked on the sights a little.

http://glow-on.com/firearms.html

Check out this stuff linked above.

It takes a couple trys to get it on just right.  I was skeptical at first but it makes a world of difference seeing the sights during low light conditions.
Small investment BIG return!

Sent from phone.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

LEJoe

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 04:18:21 PM »
oldranger53, if it feels good, DO IT!  8)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:20:32 PM »
I like what I've read about the "Glow-on." I've been looking at the XS sights for the Springfield XDs; "Glow-on" would be a lot cheaper.

Post some pics if you can; I never trust the manufacture's pics as they are too easy to doctor.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »
I like what I've read about the "Glow-on." I've been looking at the XS sights for the Springfield XDs; "Glow-on" would be a lot cheaper.

Post some pics if you can; I never trust the manufacture's pics as they are too easy to doctor.

Will do.

On the road at the moment. Long day for dry ice supply/demand in southwest Montana.
Should be home in a couple hours.
Tomorrow will post pics!

Sent from phone.

oldranger53

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »
Hi,
Haven't been feeling too good today but want to post a pic or two of the sight picture behind the PX4 tonight.

(My doctor talked me into taking a flu shot about a week ago and now I feel like I'm getting the flu. Go figure. )

Anyways, these pics are what I can do from arm's length with phone in one hand and pistol in the other.
Also, I aimed a small LED flashlight at the surfaces for about 30seconds before taking the pics.

There are some other parameters I'll relate in a few days.  Hopefully I won't get full-blown flu before getting better.

Ok I'll be back.

FYI the front sight has film on it. The rear has three applications of the paint.
I bought the film as well as the paint.  Right now I'm liking the film better than the paint.

Sent from phone.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 04:12:02 PM »
I like it so far. Keep us up to date on it.

LEJoe

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »
Good job Wade!

oldranger53

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »
Ok I been shooting my fairly new Beretta PX4 .40 SC every chance I get, since getting it in my hands last October.

I estimate, with today's 51 rounds, that I've run about 350 rounds through it to date.

Today's 50 (the stray 1 was different) were 155 grain FMJ.
The stray 1 was a 200 grain BB "outdoors" round meant for dangerous game.

I'm finding that the weights 180-200 grain bullets are more predictable and more accurate than the lighter ones.

Ok.

That's my range report for today!

Of course, YMMV

Happy Memorial Day!

Sent from phone. Typos possible.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »
It seems like you have been having fun.

According to my resources:
  • Winchester 180-grain bonded PDX1 should yield about 1025 fps at the muzzle with around 420 ft-lbs of energy.
  • Federal 180-grain Hydra-Shok should yield 1000 fps at the muzzle with an energy of 399 ft-lbs
  • Remington 180-grain JHP should yield 1015 fps at the muzzle with 412 ft-lbs of energy.
Any of the above would be a good defensive round.  Personally, I like the Winchester PDX1 for my .45 acp carry - but ammunition varies between different .45-based pistols and I can't keep track of what ammunition works best in what gun. Some days, I get better group with 185-grain fodder and other days it seems like 230-grain is working better in the same gun.

By comparison, the 200-grain TMJ FN Lawman would only give you about 915 fps at the muzzle. That's more in the .45 acp range.

I'd go for the 180-grain round that gives you the best results out of that gun. Keep on keeping on!

oldranger53

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »
Fun with educational benefit.

I also took the good ol' .44 Bulldog up to the gun club today.
Ran 15 (three cylinders) of 165 grain Critical Defense and some Double Tap 200 grain rounds through it.
Same distance.
Same targets.
Dramatically different results.

I find that I shoot much more accurately with the PX4 than I ever did (or still do) with the Bulldog.

I'm not sure what to make of that, but it surely is what I discovered!

Sent from phone. Typos possible.

oldranger53

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 09:42:30 PM »
Hi,
I got to go up to the range this afternoon and put 50 rounds through the dandy PX4.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with this gun's performance.

Have a question regarding magazine loading.

Thus far, I've loaded my magazines one less than capacity because of the force required to seat the mag in the well.
It's not tremendous, but it's not a cinch either.  Ya have to push against the force of the spring of course.

Today at the range I loaded every round to max capacity, just to see if that extra force to seat the magazine made any difference in performance.

It made no difference.
The gun never knew there was extra force on the top bullet in the magazine.

So, how you guys feel about this?

The extra force does seem to make some marks on the top bullet, but that could be my imagination.

Thoughts?

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »
The term "subcompact" makes me believe (without actual knowledge) that the PX4's magazine capacity is probably somewhat limited.
If that's the case, and if it were me using it, I would stuff every round into its magazine that will mechanically fit without distorting anything.

Filling the magazine to the top won't hurt the magazine.
You state that it can be butt-whacked into place without any real problems.
So, why would you not stuff the gun with a full magazine?

Don't forget to fill-up the reload magazines, too.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 05:17:05 AM »
It's the A&P in me, not wanting to force anything too much.

Some habits die hard.

Regular mags hold 10.

I have 2 regular mags, 1 mag for the "compact" that holds 11, and one for the full size that holds 14.

So a "full" gun will have 11, 12, and 15 respectively.

I'm gonna do that, I think, from now on unless some evidence emerges to convince me otherwise.

Thanks!

oldranger53

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 07:59:27 PM »
Next Wednesday will be the one year anniversary with beloved Beretta!

Hope I get to celebrate by going to the range and running a couple hundred rounds through it!

Here she is, sporting a 14 round full size mag, with adapter.

LEJoe

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 01:17:37 AM »
Sweet!   ;)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 03:27:31 AM »
May I suggest an Up-Lula loader?  They really make loading a magazine simple.

As far as capacity, load to full capacity - or not. It is normal for the bolt (slide) to leave marks on ammunition as the slide goes into battery.  I would worry more if I did not have to use a little effort to push the magazine in (with the slide in battery) because that may be an indication of a worn magazine spring (if it occurs with a fully stoked magazine).  That is the purpose of the magazine spring, to keep pressure on the ammunition for positive feeding.  As long as the slide is not shaving brass, you are good to go.

As long as all the rounds are going into battery like they should, I would not worry about it.

If I slam a full magazine into my Bersa 9mm and .45 acp pistols with the slide locked to the rear, the slide will automatically close.  At first it was disconcerting, but it is a trait of the pistol and negates the need to use the slide lock lever after loading a magazine.  If I slowly push the fully-loaded magazine into place, the pistol does not go into battery.  Apparently, it is how the slide lock is designed on these pistols.

Beretta Dave

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 05:10:27 AM »
Love the Up-Lula loader.  I have sub and full size PX4s in 40 and 9mm. All of the magazines have very strong springs.  Stuffing them full is much easier with the loader.
Dave

oldranger53

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »
Thanks!

I'll have to check this "Up-Lula" loader out.  This is the first I remember hearing about them.

Beretta Dave

Dave

LEJoe

oldranger53

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »
Hi,
A couple days ago, I got myself another 50 rnd box of FMJ for the range, ducked out for half an hour and drove up to the Ruby Valley Gun Club, and ran em through my beloved PX4 SC.

After I got home I counted...and I THINK that range visit took me over the 500 rnd mark with the PX4 SC.

I'm not entirely certian, but i think so.

By the way, there have been zero malfunctions or other issues, regardless of bullet weight, limp or firm wrists, time of day...or whatever.

Total reliability.  I am happy with this pistol, to say the least.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 06:04:38 AM »
I can remember when we had to break in an automobile. You know, drive only so fast for so many miles until the car was considered broken in.  It was that way with firearms, as well.  Most modern firearms don't need to be broken in these days, as they are reliable out of the box (although I have had a few there were not).

It seems that you have made a good choice, grasshopper!

Stock up on your favorite range and defensive loads, have at least four spare magazines, and you should be good to go.

oldranger53

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
After I got the 14 rnd mag from Beretta a while back, I took it up to the gun club.
Trying it, and the gun out, I jammed it full and put one in the chamber for a total of 15.
Did that 3 or 4 times, each time pulling the trigger as quickly as possible...pausing only long enough to bring the muzzle back in line with the sillouette.  Rapid fire, as it were.

The little gun rocked and rocked and faithfully loaded the next round each time.  I suppose I was giving it every opportunity to malfunction, and yet it did not.

Haven't had the heart to get it all wet and full of grime for the same functionality testing.

Tolerances are "fine" but not what I'd call a "class 3" fit.  I'd say somewhere between "better than class 2 and approaching class 3".
If it were "class 4" (interference fit) then of course it would be a paperweight.
For comparison, I'd call most AK actions to be "class 1", but I'm only guessing.

I may not ever fill it with mud to see how much it takes to malfunction. Don't want to hurt the little darling, don't ya know.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 10:38:32 AM »
There is no need to do a "torture test".  The only torture that you will experience is yours while running the test.

I recommend, as do many others, to have at least 4 spare magazines that you can rotate occasionally.  If you are an occasional shooter, these magazines will last a long time.

I just spoke with a friend of mine. He relayed that a friend of his, a small Asian fellow, carries a full size Government model Rock Island 1911. The pistol has never been cleaned.  When the fellow showed it to my friend, the chamber actually had corroded, rust was found between the front lip of the ejection port and the outside of the chamber, and the pistol had never been lubed. My friend was kind enough to tear the pistol down for him, polish the chamber, and properly lube the pistol.  Better yet, he showed the fellow how to do it for himself and advised him to periodically inspect the firearm and perform PM.

Shoot, maintain, and enjoy.

oldranger53

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
Have 4 mags.

2 10 round
1 11 round (???I know???)
1 14 round with adapter.

The 11 round one is as long as the 14 round one but can only get 11 in it.  Don't know.  It came from cheaper than dirt when I ordered a Standard 10 round one.  It works so I use it.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2015, 04:45:14 PM »
Have 4 mags.

2 10 round
1 14 round with adapter.

The 11 round one is as long as the 14 round one but can only get 11 in it.  Don't know.  It came from cheaper than dirt when I ordered a Standard 10 round one.  It works so I use it.

Regardless of what everybody says, I have always known you to be a good and wise man.  ;D

oldranger53

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2015, 04:47:23 PM »
Thanks.

Right now we're trying to escape from the zombies roaming the streets of Butte...longing for the relative safety of the Ruby Valley. !

oldranger53

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 05:02:15 PM »
Have 4 mags.

2 10 round
1 14 round with adapter.

Regardless of what everybody says, I have always known you to be a good and wise man.  ;D
Yeah, I've found that what "everyone says" doesn't always have roots in reality.
Sensationalism and drama override the mundane nearly every time, it seems.

Oh well.

We made it out of Butte.

Now for the 49 mile drive south!

Edited to change a phrase.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
Have 4 mags.

2 10 round
1 14 round with adapter.

Yeah, I've found that what "everyone says" doesn't always have roots in reality.
Sensationalism and drama override the mundane nearly every time, it seems.

Oh well.

We made it out of Butte.

Now for the 49 mile drive south!

Edited to change a phrase.

Be safe out among the English.  ;D