Author Topic: The AMT .45 Backup is Back-Up!  (Read 5827 times)

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
The AMT .45 Backup is Back-Up!
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »
The most powerful and effective, pocket-size mini-pistol, the AMT .45 Backup, is back! Not only that, but it's available in 9mm, .38 Super, and .40S&W, as well as .45 ACP.
It's now made and sold by Hi-Standard(!). It's not the old, original Hi-Standard, but a company which bought the name and, evidently, the tooling for a couple of old-line brand names.

To see this new iteration, click on: http://www.highstandard.com/index.php/amt-firearms/amt-45

As many of you already know, I carried an AMT .45 Backup in my pocket (in a holster, of course) for many years, until creeping arthritis made it impossible for me to comfortably fire a small, powerful pistol.
From that long experience, I can recommend the AMT .45 Backup unreservedly to anyone who has taken the time, and put in the effort, to become a completely competent defensive shooter.

I just wrote "unreservedly," but that isn't really true. My original, low-number AMT .45 Backup, made in Irwindale, CA, needed some kitchen-table gunsmithing, to make it "unreservedly" useful.
I polished all of the contact points throughout the DAO trigger-action's path, even including where the trigger bar rubbed against the pistol's frame. I also smoothed and polished the surface and the edges of its trigger, where my finger contacted it. Further, I polished its feed ramp and its chamber.

It came to me already quite accurate, right from the factory. No accurizing was necessary. Although its sighting equipment is only a groove cut down the long axis of the top surface of its slide, I could make reliable cardboard-silhouette head shots with it at 20 yards. If the tooling hasn't changed, the new ones should be just as accurate and effective as mine is.

I admit that my original copy has a very hard, long, double-action-only trigger pull. As I see it, that is not a bad thing, in a pocket pistol. Given reasonable care and attention, no AMT .45 Backup should ever experience an unintended discharge.

Take a look: You might like it.
(I have no idea of what the current price might be.)
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

jtg452

Re: The AMT .45 Backup is Back-Up!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
The .45 AMT Backup was a nice gun but if you don't know how to shoot DAO, it is definitely not the gun for you.  Anybody that complains about a standard SA/DA revolver's factory DA trigger pull needs to leave it alone because every one I ever handled wishes it had a 12 or 15 pound trigger pull.  I was working in gunshops in the '90's when they were on the marked and the trigger pull out of the box was always someplace between really heavy and unbearable.

On the bright side, if you have the hand strength to pull the trigger reliably enough for accurate shooting, you have the hand strength to handle the recoil.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »
The .45 AMT Backup was a nice gun but if you don't know how to shoot DAO, it is definitely not the gun for you...

I quote myself, with added emphasis:

...I can recommend the AMT .45 Backup unreservedly to anyone who has taken the time, and put in the effort, to become a completely competent defensive shooter...
Steve,

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:55:10 PM »
Oh Steve, you always bring a smile to my otherwise dour face!

Sent from phone.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
We endeavour to please, sir. —the Jeeves stories, by P.G. Woodhouse
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »
I just visited the website and, apparently, they are sold out for 2014.  That does not mean that some shops will not have them and, as usual, they must be searched out.

Back in the day, these were popular pocket pistols but they were not, as you denoted, for the beginner or the faint of wrist.  The trigger pull was no more that you would find in a revolver but, for me with somewhat long fingers, I had difficulty with it and would wonder at times if it was ever going to reach the break point.

Definitely, a no-frills BU pistol.  Here is a few more specs: http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/amt-45-acp-backup and a video @ http://pistol-review.com/?p=5703
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.