Author Topic: Hyponatremia  (Read 1335 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Hyponatremia
« on: April 30, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »
I just spent about 36 hours in one of the local hospitals for this. Probably some dehydration as well (some vein collapse, I still don't know if hyponatremia alone will cause that. Mainly, though, I flushed too much sodium and maybe potassium out of the system. It's happened before, but it 's been awhile. I recognized the onset but could not replace fluid or electrolytes fast enough, mainly due to nausea. It was a catch-22--I could reduce the nausea by drinking something, but it was hard to get myself to drink enough because of the nausea. If I could have tamped the nausea down I probably could have avoided the hospital visit.

Biggest problem was they didn't start to work on me for 3.5 hours after I got to ER. By the time they were sticking me for the IV, I was unable to control muscle twitching and painless cramping.

Ladies and gentlemen, do learn from my experience--make sure you not only drink a lot, but pay attention to electrolyte (mainly sodium and potassium, but there are others as well) replacement. People have died despite what you would think of as sufficient hydration because they flushed themselves out too much. Make sure when you are working in hot weather that you get some of everything in on a steady and consistent basis, and do not wait to be thirsty to take it in. By the time you're feeling like you should, you're past the point where you can catch up.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Hyponatremia
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
Gatorade, expensive and over-hyped as it is, is good, useful stuff.
It carries all of the necessary electrolytes.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that, Richard, and I'm glad that you made it through.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

SARGeek

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:20:36 AM »
On our SAR Teams we recommend 2-3 liters of water for every liter of Gatorade. You can easily go through 8-10 liters of hydrating fluids in a day at 10,000' pretty much any time of year due to the very low humidity up there.

Proper hydration (including trace mineral replacement) is one of the most important preventative measures for a host of ills, not the least of which is AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness).

Stay thirsty (for water) my friends!
SARGeek

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:30:58 PM »
not to mention brominated vegetable oil is not exactly good for you.... it is in a lot of the "good for you" drinks.
Time will tell.

gunflintdoc

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:54:08 AM »
In the old days before my medical colleagues bought into the sodium theory of hypertension, salt tablets were routine daily self care during periods of high activity. Today, we see many cases of hyponatremia in uninformed health-conscious people who run daily, avoid sodium, and drink "boutique" water. A recipe for hyponatremia. Remember: Sodium follows water, and water follows sodium. So, if you drink a lot of water, you will lose sodium via urination; it is unavoidable. If you sweat a lot, you will lose sodium and water; both need to be replaced. In general, you can't trust thirst to cue the need for water and sodium replacement. Do not drink distilled water; it will add to your hyponatremia.

flyover

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
I saw where someone once wrote, "If you don't have to whiz, you are not drinking enough." That certainly applies when it gets hot. During harvest, temps are generally high 90's to low to mid one hundreds maybe up to 110 degrees. I carry a bottle of Gatorade in a small ice chest to keep it cool, that and plenty of cool water really helps. Especially when you have no A/C.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
It's not just "if you don't have to whiz..." It depends upon the urine's color, too.
Dark or very yellow urine indicates a dangerous condition. Your urine should be clear and very lightly colored. Colorless is best of all.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."