Author Topic: it is getting CRAZY!!!!  (Read 943 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
it is getting CRAZY!!!!
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/16/oklahoma-sheriffs-visiting-state-capitol-building-ordered-to-disarm-how-do-you-suppose-they-responded/
Wagoner County Sheriff Bob Colbert traveled to Oklahoma City, the state’s capitol, earlier this week with 40 other sheriffs from around the state like they do every year — to meet with politicians and lobby.
Everything was going fine in the state capitol building on Tuesday. More than that, “everybody in that building knew who we were,” Colbert told KTUL-TV in Tulsa.
 Image source: KTUL-TV height=208Sheriff Bob Colber (Image source: KTUL-TV) “One of the senators, who they wouldn’t tell us, complained because we were armed in the building,” Colbert added to the station.
Then he said the sheriffs were given a choice — disarm or leave.

Time will tell.

SARGeek

Re: it is getting CRAZY!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:50:58 PM »
That went over like a dead cat at the wedding didn't it?

I could wish that once the state senator was named they would have a hard time being re-elected. I can hope anyway.
SARGeek

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »
Irrational fear always leads to irrational actions.

What a nice gift, to anyone who wants to practice a little political assassination at the capitol!
So many fewer defensive weapons to deal with.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:21:55 AM »
Just a thought.   If everyone (including LEO's) are disarmed, who's going to enforce disarming the folks who refuse to lay down arms?

Perhaps my musing doesn't make much sense, but as long as there are bad guys at large then SOMEONE in the good guy category must remained armed, eh?
[soapbox]
A huge gap exists between feeling safe and actually being safe.  Those who get squeamish at the sight of a firearm want to FEEL safe by not seeing them, regardless of who is packing.

Ok, [/soapbox]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

jtg452

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:26:51 PM »
My question is what does OK state law say about it? 

Do the sheriffs have the legal right to be armed at the State Capitol?  As a duly elected LEO, he as the obligation to be armed while performing his duties and they WERE performing one of their duties by meeting with state legislators in their official capacities as County Sheriffs, right?  If they were, then I don't see why they should have to disarm.  If you can't trust your senior LEO's with a gun around the civilian administration, then you either need a new batch of LEO's or a new batch of civilian administrators.

I know the local sheriff can (and does) carry in courtrooms- including the grand jury room.  Been there, seen that while serving on jury duty more than one time.  I figure that if he can carry in a courthouse, in the courtroom itself, and even in a jury room when testifying to a grand jury, then I have no problem whatsoever with him carrying in the capitol building.