Author Topic: Do You Agree? Disagree? What Would You Add/Subtract?  (Read 3576 times)

Gary Slider

• Handgunlaw.us
Do You Agree? Disagree? What Would You Add/Subtract?
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:52:04 AM »
As a firearms trainer I get lots of questions when instructing. Below is a list I made up that is not all inclusive but contains many little nuggets (Again my Choices) on firearm safety/handling/Things to Think About and how to do things to help keep yourself safe. Some will not agree with them all but then again I have never met someone I agree with 100% of the time. In my older years I have found out it is good to go over things like this every once in awhile as a good refresher. Do you disagree with any of them? What would you add?  I am hoping for some that I donít have listed and that I have not thought about. We can always learn from each other.

1.   First rule of any gunfight is to have a gun.
2.   If you know you are going to be in a gunfight take a rifle.
3.    Better yet if you know there is going to be a gunfight donít go there.
4.    Know the rules of safe gun handling and follow them religiously.
5.    Get the best quality training that you can afford.
6.   Carrying a big heavy gun around all day is tough. That is why they make compact handguns. If it is too bulky and  heavy you may not carry it all the time.

7.   Practice with your carry gun as often as possible.
8.    Always be aware of your surroundings. Keep that head up and scanning your surroundings.

9.    Carry a handgun that shoots the biggest round you can control.
10.   Always, Always, Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire!
11.    A safety is a mechanical device that can and will fail. (See #4)
12.    Never carry a firearm unless it is in a holster and that holster covers the trigger.
13.   Know the laws on where you can and canít legally carry your firearm.
14.    Always listen to that little voice inside you that tells you something is not right.
15.   NEVER fire a warning shot!
16.    A handgun carried without a round in the chamber is only a so so club. You may not have the time or an extra hand to rack the slide if you need to.

17.     If you can retreat safely, RETREAT!!!!!
18.    At home keep your doors locked. That few extras seconds gives you time to react.
19.     Carry all the time even at home. If you donít when you really need it you wonít have it. (See #18)
20.   Mental preparation is just/or more  important than your shooting ability.

21.     Donít advertise on your Person/Vehicle/Home that you have firearms. 
22.   Donít believe the statement that a carry gun caliber has to start with 4.
23.   The perfect handgun for me may not be the perfect handgun for you.
24.    Keep shooting until the threat ceases.
25.   Practice moving and shooting/Shooting while moving.  Practice it more!
26.    Practice shooting with both hands/right hand only/left hand only.
27.    Never point your firearm at something you are not willing to destroy.
28.   Donít do stupid things with stupid people in stupid places.
29.   Never forget that everything you say will be used against you in a court of law.
30.   Train, Read, Learn and train more on what to do before, doing and after you press the trigger. 

31.    Have a defensive Plan for your home and make sure your family knows and practices it.
32.   A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44
33.    Practice shooting in every position you can put your body in.
34.   If carrying always carry at least one reload.
35.    When sitting in a restaurant try to have your back to the wall and stay as far away from the cash register as possible. Know where the exits are.

36.   When driving keep the doors locked and when stopping at stop lights/signs etc always leave a car space between you and the car ahead of you for a quick escape if needed.

37.    If you have a choice of holding someone at gun point or letting them run tell them to run!
38.   Dry fire practice is some of the best practice.
39.    Carrying a backup gun is not a sign of paranoia.
40.    Try to carry your handgun on your body in the same location all the time. When you need it you will not have to think about where it is.

41.    When staying in a motel/hotel a couple rubber door stops under the door can give you time if someone wants to come in uninvited.
42.   Dummy rounds/Snap Caps are great to use for reloading practice/dry fire practice/Malfunction Clearing Practice.

43.   Changing the handgun you carry from a Double Action to Single can get confusing under stress. Safeties are usually in slightly different locations. (Frame/Slide)

44.   Signs like ďI Donít Dial 911 but .357Ē are cute but they will only cause you problems if you really have to press the trigger.
45.   The deeper you conceal your firearm on you the longer it takes to present it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:56:37 PM by Robert Harvey »
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Charles1951

Re: Do You Agree? Disagree? What Would You Add/Subtract?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »
37.    If you have a choice of holding someone at gun point or letting them run tell them to run!

Gary,

Thanks for this post. I don't disagree with any of your points and I'm no expert but in my opinion I would add to the point quoted that if the bad guy leaves the scene you want to be the first one to call the local law enforcement. It will be better that they hear your side before it gets twisted.
Charles

-Texas CHL-*-USAF retired-*-Oath Keeper-*-American Legion-*-NRA-*-IDPA-

============================================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Gary Slider

• Handgunlaw.us
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »
Charles1951,

I agree. I tell my students if you give any indication to someone that you have a firearm and for them to back off even if the firearm is never seen to call 911. The first to report it is usually the one they believe.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »
Gary;
My only suggestion is that you change #15 by removing the "quotation marks."
Using quote marks there takes away from the urgency and importance of the message.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »
maybe like this..
Time will tell.

Gary Slider

• Handgunlaw.us
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 01:51:55 PM »
Robert that would work better. I can't edit it but feel free to do that if possible.

flyover

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »

As far as I am concerned, 15.  All warning shots should be center mass.

Gary Slider

• Handgunlaw.us
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 05:25:53 PM »
Flyover stated, "Center of Mass." That term is used all the time to tell us where to aim in a defensive shooting. We all use it and most of the books on defensive shooting use that term. Being an EMT look at the attachment. If we consider the center of mass as between the top of the head and the groin area of the human body we hit near the heart and lungs. But I think most of us look at center of mass as between the top of the shoulders and the groin area. If we do that the center of mass puts us below the diaphragm. That is not where our rounds will disrupt the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain as fast to stop the threat as well as a shot that has a better chance of disrupting the heart or lungs. Would high in the chest be a better description? Like I stated I have used the term Center of Mass more times than I can count.

[attachimg=1]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:46:44 PM by Robert Harvey »

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 05:44:53 PM »
Flyover stated, "Center of Mass." That team is used all the time to tell us where to aim in a defensive shooting. We all use it and most of the books on defensive shooting use that term. Being an EMT look at the attachment. If we consider the center of mass as between the top of the head and the groin area of the human body we hit near the heart and lungs. But I think most of us look at center of mass as between the top of the shoulders and the groin area. If we do that the center of mass puts us below the diaphragm. That is not where our rounds will disrupt the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain as fast to stop the threat as well as a shot that has a better chance of disrupting the heart or lungs. Would high in the chest be a better description? Like I stated I have used the term Center of Mass more times than I can count.

[attachimg=1]

I used "Center of Chest" when I was instructing, particularly with new-to-guns students.

#31 I'd add "Use a Code Word amongst family members to let them know a message or instruction came from you...other code words (keep the meaning simple) for other "family specific" needs.

#35 Include movie, mall concourse, city park or any place you choose to sit in public.  I ask to choose my seat in any restaurant or similar public facility, make security choices in movies, and everywhere else keep my back to the wall as much as possible and my eyes on the approaches always.

#36  Also choose a lane that gives you a way out even in dense traffic.

#44  I have no NRA or gun related second amendment  stickers on any of my vehicles.  Beyond identifying I may be, or are armed, they also say "Steal guns here!"
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 05:45:26 PM »
All very good.  Here are a few more, some of which may be added.

Gun Free Zones are hunting preserves for innocent people. Period

It doesnít make any difference what caliber you miss with

Stopping power is a moot point if you miss.

Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.

Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not to protect you.

Never let someone or something that threatens you get inside armís length.

Never say "Iíve got a gun".  If you feel you need to use deadly force, for heavenís sake let the first sound they hear be the safety clicking off. They shouldn't have time to hear anything after that if you are doing your job.'

The average response time of a 911 call is over 23 minutes, the response time of a 9mm/.357 or .44 magnum is 1400 feet per second.'

The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary.

Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty.

If you end up in a gun fight, if you're not shooting, you should be loading.  If you're not loading, you should be moving, If you're not moving, youíre dead.

In a life and death situation, do something. It may be wrong, but do something.

You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work, but a muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it.

You cannot save the planet, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.

Guns have only two enemies - rust and politicians.
ďdo not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.Ē - Gabe Suarez

flyover

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of center of mass as on an IDPA target, as in A or B zones.

Gary Slider

• Handgunlaw.us
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 06:43:46 PM »
Flyover,  That is what I think also. IDPA taught me to aim higher than the center of the target. Love shooting it. Ran matches for a few years and really enjoyed it. I did notice when we put Tee Shirts on targets that rounds started hitting just a little low. They didn't have that circle to aim at.

Gary Slider

• Handgunlaw.us
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »
Have added some.  My Addition is #44. I thought I already had it in there.

1.   First rule of any gunfight is to have a gun.
2.   If you know you are going to be in a gunfight take a rifle.
3.   Better yet if you know there is going to be a gunfight donít go there.
4.   Know the rules of safe gun handling and follow them religiously.
5.   Get the best quality training that you can afford.
6.   Carrying a big heavy gun around all day is tough. That is why they make compact handguns. If it is too bulky and heavy you may not carry it all the time.

7.   Practice with your carry gun as often as possible.
8.   Always be aware of your surroundings. Keep that head up and scanning your surroundings.

9.   Carry a handgun that shoots the biggest round you can control.
10.   Always, Always, Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire!
11.   A safety is a mechanical device that can and will fail. (See #4)
12.   Never carry a firearm unless it is in a holster and that holster covers the trigger.
13.   Know the laws on where you can and canít legally carry your firearm.
14.   Always listen to that little voice inside you that tells you something is not right.
15.   NEVER fire a warning shot!
16.   A handgun carried without a round in the chamber is only a so so club. You may not have the time or an extra hand to rack the slide if you need to.

17.   If you can retreat safely, RETREAT!!!!!
18.   At home keep your doors locked. That few extras seconds gives you time to react.
19.   Carry all the time even at home. If you donít when you really need it you wonít have it. (See #18)
20.   Mental preparation is just/or more  important than your shooting ability.

21.   Donít advertise on your Person/Vehicle/Home that you have firearms. 
22.   Donít believe the statement that a carry gun caliber has to start with 4.
23.    The perfect handgun for me may not be the perfect handgun for you.
24.   Keep shooting until the threat ceases.
25.   Practice moving and shooting/Shooting while moving.  Practice it more!
26.   Practice shooting with both hands/right hand only/left hand only.
27.   Never point your firearm at something you are not willing to destroy.
28.   Donít do stupid things with stupid people in stupid places.
29.   Never forget that everything you say will be used against you in a court of law.
30.   Train, Read, Learn and train more on what to do before, doing and after you press the trigger. 

31.   Have a defensive Plan for your home and make sure your family knows and practices it.
32.   A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44
33.   Practice shooting in every position you can put your body in.
34.   If carrying always carry at least one reload.
35.   When sitting anywhere try to have your back to the wall and in a restaurant etc. stay as far away from the cash register as possible. Know where the exits are.

36.   When driving keep the doors locked and when stopping at stop lights/signs etc always leave a car space between you and the car ahead of you for a quick escape if needed. Always choose a lane that can give you an out if possible.

37.   If you have a choice of holding someone at gun point or letting them run tell them to run!
38.   Dry fire practice is some of the best practice.
39.   Carrying a backup gun is not a sign of paranoia.
40.   Try to carry your handgun on your body in the same location all the time. When you need it you will not have to think about where it is.

41.   When staying in a motel/hotel a couple rubber door stops under the door can give you time if someone wants to come in uninvited.
Dummy rounds/Snap Caps are great to use for reloading practice/dry fire practice/Malfunction Clearing Practice.

42.   Changing the handgun you carry from a Double Action to Single can get confusing under stress. Safeties are usually in slightly different locations. (Frame/Slide)

43.   Signs like ďI Donít Dial 911 but .357Ē are cute but they will only cause you problems if you really have to press the trigger.

44.   Reliability is the #1 Priority of any carry firearm. It must go bang every time you press the trigger.

45.   The deeper you conceal your firearm on you the longer it takes to present it.

46.   Distance is your friend. Never let anyone who you believe is a threat get close to you.

47.   When Fighting for your life fight cheating and fighting as dirty as possible is the rule!

48.   If you end up in a gun fight, if you're not shooting, you should be loading.  If you're not loading, you should be moving, If you're not moving, youíre dead.

49.   In a life and death situation, do something. It may be wrong, but do something.

50.   It doesnít make any difference what caliber you miss with.

SARGeek

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »
Good stuff!

I would change 17 to use "run away" instead of retreat. The farther you can get from the fight the safer you will be. Running around the corner and stopping may not get you safe, in fact it may get you in a worse tactical position than you were in before.

I would be interested in your reasoning on #37. Not saying I agree or disagree but would like to know your thinking on the matter.

And I would add to #24 that handgun calibers suck so you need repeated application for good results.

And I would add: A gun is not a magic talisman that wards off evil. It is a tool that you must know how to use for it to be effective.
SARGeek

Gary Slider

• Handgunlaw.us
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »
I put retreat as that is something you do strategically where just running may put you in danger. At least that is how I read the words and what they mean to me.

Your question did remind me about handguns and how weak a defensive tool they are. I always tell my students that a Handgun is a very weak defensive tool. That is why I put #2 in there.

Holding someone at gun point is not easy to do and your main point is to make the scene safe for you and your loved ones. It may also save you from having to shoot the person as they will try to get your firearm or try something else stupid. Letting them run removes the threat from you and your loved ones and will in most instances keep you from being arrested as there is not a bleeding or dead guy at your feet.  Plus perps like to run in groups and trying to hold someone at gunpoint takes all your attention and you may not see the other bad guys. At LFI II we practiced disarming people when they had a firearm pointed at us or pointed at someone else. In the prison system in America the inmates actually practice/train each other on how to disarm a person. Getting them out of the picture by letting them run makes everything a lot safer. We are also not police officers and our task is to keep ourselves and our family safe. Letting them run does that.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 05:50:10 AM »

I would not use the word 'religiously' here. The rules as Col. Cooper created them were meant to allow for more flexibility than some people will read that word as meaning. The Colonel stressed common-sense and thoughtful application and adherence, not religious (as in, dogmatic) adherence.

10.   Always, Always, Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire!

12.   Never carry a firearm unless it is in a holster and that holster covers the trigger.

If this list is for those just beginning, the use of the words 'always' and 'never' is helpful. If it's for everybody, not so much. As you progress through the process of training and experience, there should be a transition making a stage of progress where 'always, definitely, certainly' starts to become 'maybe, possibly, it depends'.

Also, #12, if adhered to, precludes the ability to move the gun to an outer jacket pocket temporarily. There are times when this is a viable and advisable option.

25.   Practice moving and shooting/Shooting while moving.  Practice it more!
26.   Practice shooting with both hands/right hand only/left hand only.

I would consider some change to the effect of "get trained in how to move and shoot, then practice it. I'd worry that without some training in the better ways to do it, you'll have more stray rounds flying about than if they stayed within their current capability range when shooting.

27.   Never point your firearm at something you are not willing to destroy.

Suggest changing 'willing' to 'prepared'. There's a subtle but significant difference to me between those words.

Consider adding 'at stupid times'.

47.   When Fighting for your life fight cheating and fighting as dirty as possible is the rule!

Something like the following might roll into their mind better:

Once the fight starts, if you're not cheating, you're not fighting right.

Don't ever expect a fair fight. You will not get one. Don't give them one, either.

48.   If you end up in a gun fight, if you're not shooting, you should be loading.  If you're not loading, you should be moving, If you're not moving, youíre dead.

Motionless Operators Ventilate Easily

49.   In a life and death situation, do something. It may be wrong, but do something.

Excellent.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

SARGeek

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 07:17:30 AM »
I put retreat as that is something you do strategically where just running may put you in danger. At least that is how I read the words and what they mean to me.

Your question did remind me about handguns and how weak a defensive tool they are. I always tell my students that a Handgun is a very weak defensive tool. That is why I put #2 in there.

Holding someone at gun point is not easy to do and your main point is to make the scene safe for you and your loved ones. It may also save you from having to shoot the person as they will try to get your firearm or try something else stupid. Letting them run removes the threat from you and your loved ones and will in most instances keep you from being arrested as there is not a bleeding or dead guy at your feet.  Plus perps like to run in groups and trying to hold someone at gunpoint takes all your attention and you may not see the other bad guys. At LFI II we practiced disarming people when they had a firearm pointed at us or pointed at someone else. In the prison system in America the inmates actually practice/train each other on how to disarm a person. Getting them out of the picture by letting them run makes everything a lot safer. We are also not police officers and our task is to keep ourselves and our family safe. Letting them run does that.

I see the point of retreat vs. "run away" which may promote a panic reaction vs. a though out response. But perhaps some stronger wording to indicate that you have no obligation to stay close. You can always meet the police elsewhere but staying in the vicinity once you've broken contact is a bad idea.

I see the logic on holding someone at gun point, and if I did so they would be on the ground (laid out flat) and far enough away to turn them into a colander should they try to get at me. They would still require tight supervision though (they might have another weapon and I'm not going to get close enough to pat them down). You do account for it with the "if possible" part of the rule but it may not always be possible to get away and they may not be willing (or able) to leave.

Good list! And great thread too, it's generated some great discussion and that's a good thing. Thanks Gary!
SARGeek

Gary Slider

• Handgunlaw.us
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 07:28:43 AM »
CR WIlliams, Made some changes but busy right now.  Later this evening.

SARGeek,  There have been articles and books and in some cases more than one book written on just about every item listed. You can't do anything justice in a sentence as important as this.

Getting a discussion going was the main reason I posted it. discussion is good. We all learn!

Gary Slider

• Handgunlaw.us
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
Found the time. No problem changing anything. Again it gets the discussion going and we all see things just a little different. Always carry in a holster I can't see changing. You should always do that. Now there are times when I many want to put a firearm in a pocket without a holster but that would be rare. Main point is when "Carrying." I don't carry my long gun in a holster but it is in my hand/s and have control of it.

On Never fire a warning shot I don't know of any jurisdiction that has a law that allows for a warning shot. FL is talking about it now. There are many Statutes that state you can't discharge a firearm unless in self defense. If you state you fired a warning shot you are telling them that you just wanted to scare them away and were not in fear of death or grave bodily harm at the time you pressed the trigger. If you were in fear of death or grave bodily harm you should have shot them and not fired a warning shot. So you just discharged a firearm to scare someone. That will get you charged. (I don't know why my format is not holding up when copying and pasting. I am not a computer geek. Wish I were)

1.   First rule of any gunfight is to have a gun.
2.   If you know you are going to be in a gunfight take a rifle.
3.   Better yet if you know there is going to be a gunfight donít go there.
5.   Get the best quality training that you can afford.
6.   Carrying a big heavy gun around all day is tough. That is why they make compact handguns. If it is too bulky and heavy you may not carry it all the time.

7.   Practice with your carry gun as often as possible.
8.   Always be aware of your surroundings. Keep that head up and scanning your surroundings.

9.   Carry a handgun that shoots the biggest round you can control.
10.   Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire!
11.   A safety is a mechanical device that can and will fail. (See #4)
13.   Know the laws on where you can and canít legally carry your firearm.
14.   Always listen to that little voice inside you that tells you something is not right.
16.   A handgun carried without a round in the chamber is only a so so club. You may not have the time or an extra hand to rack the slide if you need to.

17.   If you can retreat safely, RETREAT!!!!!
18.   At home keep your doors locked. That few extras seconds gives you time to react.
19.   Carry all the time even at home. If you donít when you really need it you wonít have it. (See #18)
20.   Mental preparation is just/or more  important than your shooting ability.

21.   Donít advertise on your Person/Vehicle/Home that you have firearms. 
22.   Donít believe the statement that a carry gun caliber has to start with 4.
23.    The perfect handgun for me may not be the perfect handgun for you.
24.   Keep shooting until the threat ceases.
25.   Get Training on how to do it properly and Practice moving and shooting/Shooting while moving.  Practice it more!
26.   Practice shooting with both hands/right hand only/left hand only. Learn to do it on the move. (See #25)
27.   Never point your firearm at something you are not prepared to destroy.
29.   Never forget that everything you say will be used against you in a court of law.
30.   Train, Read, Learn and train more on what to do before, doing and after you press the trigger. 

31.   Have a defensive Plan for your home and make sure your family knows and practices it.
32.   A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44
33.   Practice shooting in every position you can put your body in.
34.   If carrying always carry at least one reload.
35.   When sitting anywhere try to have your back to the wall and in a restaurant etc. stay as far away from the cash register as possible. Know where the exits are.

36.   When driving keep the doors locked and when stopping at stop lights/signs etc always leave a car space between you and the car ahead of you for a quick escape if needed. Always choose a lane that can give you an out if possible.

37.   If you have a choice of holding someone at gun point or letting them run tell them to run!
38.   Dry fire practice is some of the best practice.
39.   Carrying a backup gun is not a sign of paranoia.
40.   Try to carry your handgun on your body in the same location all the time. When you need it you will not have to think about where it is.

41.   When staying in a motel/hotel a couple rubber door stops under the door can give you time if someone wants to come in uninvited.
Dummy rounds/Snap Caps are great to use for reloading practice/dry fire practice/Malfunction Clearing Practice.

42.   Changing the handgun you carry from a Double Action to Single can get confusing under stress. Safeties are usually in slightly different locations. (Frame/Slide)

43.   Signs like ďI Donít Dial 911 but .357Ē are cute but they will only cause you problems if you really have to press the trigger.

44.   Reliability is the #1 Priority of any carry firearm. It must go bang every time you press the trigger.

45.   The deeper you conceal your firearm on you the longer it takes to present it.

46.   Distance is your friend. Never let anyone who you believe is a threat get close to you.

47.   Don't ever expect a fair fight. You will not get one. Don't give them one, either.

48.   If you end up in a gun fight, if you're not shooting, you should be loading.  If you're not loading, you should be moving, If you're not moving, youíre dead.  Motionless Operators Ventilate Easily

50.   It doesnít make any difference what caliber you miss with.

51.   Your most powerful weapon is that brain between your ears. Mental Preparation can/will save your life!   

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »
The law is not in question when I suggest that there never should be a 'Never' on these kinds of lists. This specific subject, sometimes, it's what is best to do. Most times, not to be considered. But 'Never' is too absolute for me to think it appropriate.

Also, a warning shot does not necessarily have to be a warning shot.

The nuances of this cannot be placed in a list such as this, however. So you might as well leave it as is if you leave it in at all. Which leads me to suggest a #52:

Reality has proven that none of the rules on this list can ever be considered absolute.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com