Author Topic: Taurus PT740 Slim  (Read 5455 times)

JerryMac

Taurus PT740 Slim
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:02:53 AM »
I recently purchased a PT740 slim, after a lot of research, and for what I was wanting this seemed to be the gun that fit the bill, 40 cal. keeps a portion of my ammo the same, size, is awesome, but as with most guns, I seen a lot of bashing on Taurus, which I already own 2 of, but just wanted to say, after 200 rounds all it wants or needs is more ammo.... i know it is not the 20000 rounds everone seems to want to shoot, but there were 2 takedown and inspections in the 200 rounds, and it seems as good as day one. I did not buy this as a range gun, i bought it for a cc gun, doesnt mean i will not take it to the range , which is outback, on a regular basis, just not gonna put it through thousands of rounds, to prove anything. Gotta say, can't wait to get my new holster set up that I ordered for it,,,a plug in here for UBG holsters, but want any feedback from anyone that might have had problems or who are like me and love the little gun. It by the way has won a couple of awards, and they just do not give those away, but the recoil and shootability exceeded what i was hoping for... thanks for any input, even if your a Taurus basher, lol..... I show my Kimber to my friends, but the BG will be seeing my Taurus.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. 8)
As I get older and my eyes get older with me, I see tha madness behind crimson trace....

Would I jump in front of a bullet for you, nope, if I have time to jump in front of it, you have time to jump out of the way.......

Granny D

• My armed attack dog
Re: Taurus PT740 Slim
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »
Don't have that gun but do have a taurus pistol in my desk drawer, fully loaded and ready to go. And I love it,

Granny D
USAF Vet

DangeRuss

• MCRGO
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »
JerryMac I dont have the pt740 slim but I do own a pt-145 and have nothing but good to say about it. It is accurate easy to shoot and conceals great. I have fed it all kinds of different ammo and it just eats them all up with no fail to fires or ejection problems. Taurus makes good guns and there warranty is also great.

Russ
"In God we trust All others pay cash"
Member of
NRA
GOA
MCRGO
SAF
Member ACLDN

LEJoe

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 08:47:57 AM »
At this time I do not have a Taurus, but some of my family swears by them. I know the ones I have shot I like very much.

Coastie

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
I've handled the Taurus and it felt like a good weapon.  So you did well!

20K rounds take a while to compile....you may get there, may not.  Remember to practice!
20K may be what you'll need if the SHTF.

rdpG19

• Some of my Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 07:40:33 AM »
Nothing wrong with a Taurus if you ask me. I own a Taurus M65 357 mag 4" barrel, (my house gun). I also know a couple self defense instructors that carry the PT740. Use to have a 605 357mag, traded it in on my Glock 19.  There good guns!!!!
US Navy Veteren
Ruger SP 101 357 3" Barrel
Glock 19 Gen3
Taurus 65 357 mag
Walther PK 380

Coastie

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
OP we'll need a range report of that firearm, ;)

Leonidas

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »
I bought my daughter a 9mm Millenium Pro for Christmas over the 740.  12+1 over, what is it, 6+1 for the Slim?

barnjoer

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:29 PM »
JerryMac as far as I am concerned you did good. I have A PT101 in 40 & A PT24/7 in 40 A PT945 in 45 & A PT1911 45 & the wife has A PT24/7 9mm Pink . All are excellent hand guns, but like any gun it has to be taken care of properly. Keep it clean & maintained & she won't let you down.
John
He Who Expects Nothing Won't Be Deceived!!
TEXAS CHL / NRA /
Carry LOADED Always!!

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
    • Co-admin of rolepayingtips.com
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 03:53:36 PM »
Keep it clean & maintained & she won't let you down.

Also, never trust your life to the weapon until you've put at least 200-300 rounds through the pistol. (Using the mags and ammo you plan to carry for self defense.)

While the majority of pistols are quality pieces of craftsmanship, sometimes  you get one with a factory defect, or that refuses to feed a particular brand of ammo reliably. Much better to learn about your pistols potential quirks on the range, then when protecting the lives of your loved ones and/or yourself. ;)
"Lead by example or get out of the way."

25 years of firearms experience, 2 years Army National Guard service, CCing for 1 & 1/2 years and counting.

Member of :
Pink Pistols ( http://pinkpistols.org/ )
Second Amendment Sisters ( http://www.2asisters.org/ )

barnjoer

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 05:29:14 PM »
Silveressa  how did you know I  forgot to say that. You are correct!!!!!!!  Practice with what you plan to carry with.  ;D
John
He Who Expects Nothing Won't Be Deceived!!
TEXAS CHL / NRA /
Carry LOADED Always!!

JerryMac

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 11:12:57 PM »
Another 150 rounds this weeked, with a little more intense practice, multiple targets, moving while shooting, and homemade 3d targets, I am really glad I went with this weapon. It was flawless, and getting very comfortable to shoot.... the trigger pull took a little  getting used to, yea, to LEondis, it is a single stack, six plus one, i have two extra mags that go with me, so that is 19. If i need more than that, I am in some deep sht anyhow. but for me, the single stack works out well, it is a breeze and comfortable to carry, that was my main reason for the purchase. I have some high cap weapons, but this is hands down the most comfortable gun I have to cc.  just wanted to give update on another range = backyard= report
As I get older and my eyes get older with me, I see tha madness behind crimson trace....

Would I jump in front of a bullet for you, nope, if I have time to jump in front of it, you have time to jump out of the way.......

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 05:57:44 AM »
JerryMac I dont have the pt740 slim but I do own a pt-145 and have nothing but good to say about it. It is accurate easy to shoot and conceals great. I have fed it all kinds of different ammo and it just eats them all up with no fail to fires or ejection problems. Taurus makes good guns and there warranty is also great.

Russ
+1 Russ said it all.  I bet my life on mine.
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

MilProGuy

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 12:57:31 AM »
I recently purchased a PT740 slim, after a lot of research, and for what I was wanting this seemed to be the gun that fit the bill, 40 cal. keeps a portion of my ammo the same, size, is awesome, but as with most guns, I seen a lot of bashing on Taurus, which I already own 2 of, but just wanted to say, after 200 rounds all it wants or needs is more ammo...
...I did not buy this as a range gun, i bought it for a cc gun, doesnt mean i will not take it to the range , which is outback, on a regular basis, just not gonna put it through thousands of rounds, to prove anything...
...It by the way has won a couple of awards, and they just do not give those away, but the recoil and shootability exceeded what i was hoping for... thanks for any input, even if your a Taurus basher, lol..... I show my Kimber to my friends, but the BG will be seeing my Taurus.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. 8)

I'm glad to learn that fellow handgun enthusiast is as happy as his PT740 Slim as I am with mine!  ;D

My 740 Slim has proven itself to be 110% reliable and is amazingly accurate at self-defense ranges.  The recoil of the .40 S&W is not bad either.  I'm like you, my 740 is not a range gun, I have a 1911 and a PT92 for that, it is my everyday concealed carry handgun which I trust my life with every time I leave the security and safety of my home.
Proud Veteran of the U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

rdpG19

• Some of my Photography
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 05:13:39 AM »
I wish I had a range in my back yard, could go out and shoot when ever felt the need!
US Navy Veteren
Ruger SP 101 357 3" Barrel
Glock 19 Gen3
Taurus 65 357 mag
Walther PK 380

MilProGuy

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 11:05:17 PM »
I wish I had a range in my back yard, could go out and shoot when ever felt the need!

Don't we ALL!  :'( ;D
Proud Veteran of the U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

rsh3rn

• New User
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
Absolutely love my 709 slim and pt145.  I've shot plenty of pistols but these two still are the favorites.  The 709 is a new acquisition, but the 145 has seen about 1,000 rounds without a problem.  As for the ammo counts, I do love that my 145 holds 10+; but concealing that double stack is a problem.  The 709 is great for what it is, a solid concealed weapon.

Coastie

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 06:32:40 PM »

Welcome rsh3rn, we're glad that you've found this free forum, it's spam-free.   Not only that but you will find just about everything you need in concealed carrying.  If you don't please put your request on the Wish List board and we Mods will see what we can do about fixing that.

To personalize your account, please visit the "How to do this, that and the other" board.  There you will find numerous different topics that will assist you.  Also as you surf around our site, be sure  you check out our blog at:  http://guntoters.com/blog  The instructions for registering at and using it are also in the 'How to' board. 

I'm from NE Washington (state).

Please also read this important section first, it is highly recommended.  http://guntoters.com/index.php/topic,218.0.html

Also if you post in the New Members Intro - http://guntoters.com/index.php/board,9.0.html, others will welcome you.

Hope you have a great day!