Author Topic: Leather vs. Kydex  (Read 1908 times)

Willful

Leather vs. Kydex
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
I am currently using a Tagua universal holster inside the waistband and it collapses when I draw my pistol. Also, I am frequently unsure if my gun is going to stay in it. I only bought it as a temporary thing, and because it was inexpensive, until I can make a decision about what holster to adopt as an EDC. I don't recall seeing any comparisons in this forum between the Kydex and all leather IWB holsters that address whether or not they will allow one handed re-holstering and other issues, like durability, retention, comfort, cost, etc.. Who can elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages of leather w/Kydex vs. all leather?

chiefrcd

• Retired Deputy Fire Chief/Fire Marshal
Re: Leather vs. Kydex
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 05:57:07 PM »
Check out Tucker Leather, I have 4 Silent Thunder holsters that are kydek, leather lined and I love them all.  Some are IWB and some OWB...great company and great holsters.
Have Gun ~ Will Carry
S-Safety
M-Motivation
A-Awareness
R-Responsibility
T-Training

Fighting for our Constitution, feel free to join in.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »
Properly designed Kydex IWB holsters just will not collapse, generally speaking, so reholstering isn't a problem.
If the Kydex holster was properly designed and carefully made, retention will not be a problem.
Kydex is, all by itself, more abrasive to a gun's finish than leather is, but there is more to the issue than that.
Thin Kydex retains its shape better than thin leather does, so a Kydex holster can be less bulky than a leather one.
But Kydex is stiffer than leather, so most Kydex holsters are generally less comfortable to wear than leather ones.
Kydex requires very little care, and can even be washed—and should be washed occasionally.
However, Kydex "fatigues" the way sheet metal does, and will eventually fracture irreparably at folds and stress lines. To some extent, this will happen unpredictably.
Generally speaking, a high-quality Kydex holster costs less than a comparable leather one.

A properly designed and carefully made leather IWB holster will not collapse, generally speaking, so reholstering isn't a problem.
If the leather holster was properly designed and carefully made, retention will not be a problem.
Leather is, all by itself, less abrasive to a gun's finish than Kydex is, but leather can retain dust and other abrasive particles if not cleaned frequently, and those particles can abrade a gun's finish.
Leather can be fitted more closely to the gun than can Kydex, but a well-designed leather IWB holster is thicker than a Kydex one.
However, leather holsters mold to the wearer's body, so a leather IWB holster will be more comfortable to wear than will a Kydex one.
Leather requires some care, which includes cleaning with a brush (and no liquids) and occasional waxing.
After long use, leather will eventually soften somewhat and become loose. This can be treated remedially, though, and well-cared-for leather won't crack and can be rejuvenated.
High-quality leather holsters cost more, but they last longer than do Kydex holsters.

Hybrid leather/Kydex holsters have good effect upon the comfort problem, although they are probably still not as comfortable as a well-designed, all-leather holster. In some, reholstering may be a problem, depending upon the stiffness of the rig's leather backing.
The leather part(s) of a hybrid still cannot be washed. It must be brushed clean, and maybe even waxed occasionally.
Smaller Kydex parts, belt loops in particular, are prone to frequent breakage. The Kydex pouch part would most likely fare the same as an all-Kydex holster.
High-quality hybrid holsters are not terribly expensive, compared to high-quality, all-leather ones.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:42:54 PM by M1911A1 »
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

JerryMac

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:54:14 AM »
Personally I will put my money is a cusotm well made leather holster any day of the week over a kydex....have a look at UBG .... some very nice work and failry short turnaround...

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
As I get older and my eyes get older with me, I see tha madness behind crimson trace....

Would I jump in front of a bullet for you, nope, if I have time to jump in front of it, you have time to jump out of the way.......

Shawn Hoyle

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 11:00:54 PM »
I'm stuck on leather, too.

BTW....Great description, Steve. Couldn't have said it better myself. Ha! I couldn't even come close. You, sir, are a wealth of knowledge.
USAF
NRA
ACLDN
NAGR
CST

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

-Ronald Reagan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

rdpG19

• Some of my Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 06:49:54 AM »
I've got a Invisi-Tuck made by The American Holster Company, its all leather, which is what I wanted, holds my Glock 19 very tight, remains open for one hand re-holstering, excellent quality and very comfortable for all day wear. $78.00 total. I will order from them again.

US Navy Veteren
Ruger SP 101 357 3" Barrel
Glock 19 Gen3
Taurus 65 357 mag
Walther PK 380

bandrich

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:02:52 AM »
I like my leather OWB best, but I don't have very much room IWB these days. 

MilProGuy

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:22:32 AM »
I like my leather OWB best, but I don't have very much room IWB these days.

That's a really nice OWB holster you have there.

I'm with you on the IWB...there's not room for me and it in the same pair of pants!  ::)
Proud Veteran of the U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired