Author Topic: The Differences between 'Lead' Bullets and 'Hard Cast' Bullets  (Read 1843 times)

Glennrae

The Differences between 'Lead' Bullets and 'Hard Cast' Bullets
« on: December 04, 2011, 05:26:32 AM »
There seems to be a lot of missunderstanding of what true lead bullets are. :-\ Here is a great article that sets the record straight.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=54
Glennrae

NRA
GOA
SDGO

Glock 23
Kahr CW9
Ruger SR22
Ruger GP100
Marlin 1894C
Ruger LCR 38
1858 Remington New Army Revolver

Bikes, bullets, bluegrass and BBQ!

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
Re: The Differences between 'Lead' Bullets and 'Hard Cast' Bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 05:52:22 AM »
Good short introduction.  Thanks!

Pure lead can be easily alloyed by adding 80/20 or 60/40 bar solder proportionally by weight.  I used this method for years and, with differing proportions and tempering methods, could get a number of differing hardness readings.

Elmer Kieth wrote that a Brinnel Hardness between 9-11 was sufficient for .44 cal lead bullets with no leading problems.  That's pretty much been my experience.

I once alloyed 240 pounds of Lyman #2 from standard lead, tin and antimony.  It took 4 days to get it alloyed correctly and cast into ingots.  Antimony has the highest melting point of the three and one doesn't melt it as much as "dissolve" it.  Also antimony is dangerous so must be handled in either an extremely well ventilated area, or preferably outdoors.  Rough calculations says I have enough #2 "on hand" to make around 6000 pistol caliber bullets depending on bullet caliber and weight.
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

barnjoer

Re: The Differences between 'Lead' Bullets and 'Hard Cast' Bullets
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 06:21:51 PM »
I guess I am lucky. I work for an Electric Utility Co. & when we rebuild A line we put up new insulator pins. The old pins have A lead type threads for the insulator to screw on. Near as I can figure when I melt the lead stuff off the pin in is about 16 to 18 hardness. Today is my 31 year anniversary with the company. I cant guess how many hundreder pounds of lead I have melted off & made 9 40 45 & 44 mag bullets out of. What is sad is the new pins have polymer threads & not lead. I just keep stock pilling the old pins for A rainy day when I retire.
John
He Who Expects Nothing Won't Be Deceived!!
TEXAS CHL / NRA /
Carry LOADED Always!!