Author Topic: Voyager probes launched in 1977 still sending data.  (Read 1053 times)

DangeRuss

• MCRGO
Voyager probes launched in 1977 still sending data.
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »
"In God we trust All others pay cash"
Member of
NRA
GOA
MCRGO
SAF
Member ACLDN

Brademan

• Global Moderator
Re: Voyager probes launched in 1977 still sending data.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »
"Veeger" must join with the carbon units.

:o
Brademan
Special Projects Manager - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Admin - ACLDN Forum
Patron Member - NRA
Aikidoka, Harley owner, steel crafter, shooter, Plain speaker

Shoot2Stop

• Have Gun will Soon Travel
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »
I've always appreciated the two Voyager missions.  The brain in this craft was the early RCA CD4000 series CMOS late 1960's precursors to the microprocessor, specially hardened for NASA's needs.  The CD4000 was rated to run at a clock rate up to 1-MHz, but to make NASA's specs, it was de-rated to, and ran in the spacecraft, at a half a megahertz.  This is over a thousand times slower than most of today's desktop computers.

Due to the distance and signal strength from its ten-watt transmitter, the space craft has been commanded many times over it journey to slow its transmitted data rate.  For the last several years it has been transmitting at a rate below 100 bits per second.  For comparison, today's typical Internet data rate is 10,000 to 50,000 times faster.  And some of us think 'our' Internet is slow! ;)

Not only is the Voyager still doing some good science after all these years, but due to its distance from us, and its very weak signal levels back here on earth, it's commonly used by the SETI 'Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence' folks to test and calibrate their radio receivers. 

At its current speed, it will take Voyager about 40,000 years to reach the closest star to our sun. ;)

I fear not a whit for myself, but I fear to the bottom of my soul for my county's future. -S2S
If you think George Washington would disagree with you, you're probably on the wrong side.

NRA & GOA Lifer. Constitutional Extremist

LEJoe

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:07:56 AM »
Good stuff S2S. Thanks!