Author Topic: EDC Options  (Read 2067 times)

Brademan

• Global Moderator
EDC Options
« on: October 06, 2013, 04:23:51 PM »
Got to thinking about the things I have evolved into lugging around with me as Every Day Carry.  They have 'self-adjusted' over the years, but have been pretty stable for a while.  While the primary gun varies between about four that I train with regularly, I shoot all of mine enough that I can interchange for time of year or weather.

That said, the actual items don't vary much at all.  This is just a shot of the basic battery, which of course, doesn't include things like wallet, keys, pens and other stuff.  Yes...there are three knives in there, if you count the multi-tool.  So sue me!  ;-)

How about your own rig?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:21:02 PM by Brademan »
Brademan
Special Projects Manager - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Admin - ACLDN Forum
Patron Member - NRA
Aikidoka, Harley owner, steel crafter, shooter, Plain speaker

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: EDC Options
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »
I don't carry a backup gun, and my second knife is the Swiss Army type, but we are otherwise similar.

(Note that I will be away from the forum from Tuesday, October 8th, through Saturday, October 19th.)
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 05:56:27 PM »
I too am pretty much the same, except that my folding lock blade knife has gotten smaller over the years.
Started out with a 6" fully serrated folder (Cold Steel Voyager), then to a Cold Steel Spartan, and now it's a Kershaw 3.5" blade folder.
The BUG (if I carry one) is a S&W 442, but dont always carry the BUG.

In the high back country it's another story.
Up there (we live at over 5500 ASL so "up there" really means UP THERE) the primary is .44mag, secondary is .44 spl and knives include, but not limited to, an Airforce Survival Knife, a reproduction WW1 Trench Knife, short handeled axe, E-tool and whatever else I have the energy to carry up the trails!

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
I'm assuming that EDC would be those things that are not necessarily carried on you but with you as well?

Let's see.......I'm taking inventory........

In my shoulder bag at the present time, and which is carried every workday (and on weekends if I happen to be working), there is:
  • A handgun of 11.4 mm with 2 spare magazines.
  • A Kobalt multi-tool and knife w/pouch.
  • Two Gerber F.A.S.T knives (one smooth blade and one partially serrated)
  • Two small flashlights w/spare batteries
  • A Morakniv fixed blade knife
  • A small Japanese back-saw (don't bother asking)
  • A small Kodak EasyShare camera
  • A small set of binoculars.
  • Small magnifying glass (help out old eyes and for fire starting)
  • Spare set of spectacles
  • An unknown length of para-cord
  • One MRE of unknown origin but still good for 5 years
  • A knife, fork, spoon combo for eating my lunch at work
  • A package of wet-wipes (for after eating my lunch at work)
  • A one-quart stainless steel water carrier - always topped off
  • A small med kit made up of a few band aids, aspirin, etc. (because I carry knives)
  • A Smith's knife sharpener (reason for the band aids)
  • 6 Slim Jims (Oh, Yeah!)
  • A small dictionary and thesaurus, reference book on XML, and a pocket version of the U.S. Constitution (I can dazzle them with my brilliance).
  • 20-rounds of Remington Slugger 20-gauge slugs (trunk shotty)
  • A handcuff key (again, don't ask)
  • Lunch (whatever it might be that day from soup to nuts)
On the weekend I pare things back considerably and usually have on me just the 11.4 mm pistol, 2-spare magazines, a TDI LE knife, and a smaller pocket knife. I would carry my Katana, but I walk like Dennis Weaver in "Gunsmoke" and am continually putting holes in my shoes when when I carry it concealed and sit.

I just bought a knife recommended by Tadrian and that will probably end up in the mix at some time.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Brademan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 09:52:43 PM »
"11.4mm"!.....I like that!

I like your list also however I set down the things I carry on my person.  IF I was to count an off body pack or bag, there would be a lot more items and then there is the stuff I carry in my car, too. 

There isn't any real 'right or wrong' to this little exercise.  Whatever works for y'all is fine!
Brademan
Special Projects Manager - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Admin - ACLDN Forum
Patron Member - NRA
Aikidoka, Harley owner, steel crafter, shooter, Plain speaker

jtg452

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 08:47:29 AM »
I carry a bit lighter than you do.

Gun and reload (2 speed loaders if I'm carrying a wheelgun, 1 spare mag if I'm carrying a bottom feeder)

Either a CRKT M21-04 or a SOG Pentagon II in the off side front pocket

A small folder in the strong side front pocket.  That one varies a little but is usually a small Browning lock blade or a Case Barlow.  Every once in a while I break out a SOG Twitch II or one of my Benchmades.

Don't carry a BUG.  I've carried more than one gun exactly once in my life.  That was the morning after Opal came through and I had to go downtown (where the radio had reported possible looting in the area) to check on the business I was managing at the time.  I was carrying a pair of Hi Powers on me with 6 spare mags scattered about in mag pouches or coat pockets and I stuffed a Smith 1917 in between the driver's seat and the center console with 3 full moon clips full of 230 Hydrashoks in the cup holder.

SARGeek

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 12:33:31 PM »
On my person (let's hear it for cargo pants!)

XD45 5"
Spare 13rnd mag
CRKT M16-12Z
Victorinox SAK
Cell phone
Streamlight MicroStream mini penlight (for task lighting)
5.11 ATAC L2 (220 Lumen defensive light)
mechanical pencil
pencil-style eraser
sharpie
bandanna
Notepad
Whistle
Tweezers (on keychain)
Lighter (on keychain)
Keys
wallet

Have quite a bit more in my daypack along with my work laptop. Paracord, Mora knife with ferro rod, etc.
SARGeek

CedarElm7

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »
I'm having a serious case of EDC envy here.  :o  Y'all are carrying some awesome stuff!

Rather than try to measure up, I think I'll just hang out with some of you and try to provide backup.   ;)
Brad

*Texas CHL*  *TSRA*  *NRA*  *SAF*  *GOA*  *NSSF*  Μολών Λαβέ

jtg452

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »
I'm having a serious case of EDC envy here.  :o  Y'all are carrying some awesome stuff!

Rather than try to measure up, I think I'll just hang out with some of you and try to provide backup.   ;)
Carry what you decide you need and are comfortable with.  Think it through, be reasonable and rational about your decisions and have a plan.

I was a knife nut before I became old enough to be a gun nut, so I tend to spend the money for good cutlery.  I also grew up East Alabama Redneck, so carrying 2 knives (a little one to work with, a big one to fight with) is a way of life. 

I carry just enough on me to get back to my truck.  I keep flashlights (plural- a 3 D cell Maglite and a Surefire P6) with spare batteries in the truck, so I don't see the need to have one on me.  I keep spare ammo, another gun or two, more (and bigger) knives, an axe, a shovel, food, water, things that can be used as shelter, rope (lots of rope, there's no such a thing as too much cordage), a way to sharpen anything I have with an edge, ... in the truck.  If I can get back to my vehicle, I'm good to go for quite a while.  I'm also  never far from my vehicle and I am very picky about where I park.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »
Carry what you decide you need and are comfortable with.  Think it through, be reasonable and rational about your decisions and have a plan.

Excellent advisement! Although I carry a bit in the "work" bag. When I am not at work, I just carry on my person the 11.4 mm pistol, 2 spare mags, and two knives.Don't see a need for anything more. A support bag (not my "work" bag) is in the vehicle if I need it. That and a Mossy 20-gauge.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

SARGeek

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
I have much more in the car and I would dispense with the task light if I didn't use it so often. Even though I have not touched a cigarette in years I also have found the tweezers & lighter to be among those items that are both very useful and hard to find a substitute for when you need them. Far too many times I have forgotten something because I didn't write it down, this the notepad & writing implements.

Basically this evolved more from what I used to have to run back to my desk (or all the way to the car!) for because I found myself using such items regularly. Obviously, the defensive tools (gun, ammo, light, big knife) are for that purpose, although the knife is often used for opening things and is sharpened weekly to keep it in shape. Sometimes I do feel like I need a bat-belt for all of it but I have saved myself and other more time and frustration over the years than I can easily quantify so I just make sure I have a good belt and buy quality pants to hold it all (usually 5.11 Tac-lite Pros since they are easily mistaken for dockers but are much tougher, more comfortable, and have far more storage options).

As stated above, carry what works for you. I am a working computer support guy who is also a dad. That tends to increase the demands on my EDC. Weekends, what with chores and stuff around the house, are even more tool-intensive than my normal workdays.
SARGeek