Author Topic: Check your carry often!!  (Read 2169 times)

chiefrcd

• Retired Deputy Fire Chief/Fire Marshal
Check your carry often!!
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:35:08 PM »
I have a Para .45 LDA CW in stainless.  Gun probably has 600 to 700 rounds through it.  I recently shot it, cleaned it....just the basic take down and put it back in it's holster.  I carry this gun for my work and place it in the glove compartment of my car when I'm taking photo's.  Today after being in the car a few hours I found that the side safety had fallen out of the gun and the grip safety had as well.  I've never head of this nor experienced anything like this.  The gun now has one in the chamber, I can't determine how to get the safety back as there are some parts that must match up....WARNING....check your guns often.  This one was recently shot, cleaned and put back in service....now it's off to a gunsmith for repair.  I'm a little concerned the the vibration could actually do this.  It's not like I'm 4 wheeling....I'm driving city streets in a Camry Hybrid.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:38:43 AM by Coastie »
Have Gun ~ Will Carry
S-Safety
M-Motivation
A-Awareness
R-Responsibility
T-Training

Fighting for our Constitution, feel free to join in.

Coastie

Re: Check you carry often!!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
I don't know about your pistol, but my eyeglasses lens decided to pop out suddenly this morning....which meant I was almost blind for a short while until I could grab my back up glasses to fix the new set. 

Have never heard about pistol pieces falling off the frame... ???

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
If the LDA's safety lever, and its grip safety too, are anything like those of a standard 1911, here's what might've happened:

The safety lever stays in the gun when it's in full-on or full-off positions, and there's a built-in detent that holds the lever in those places. The shaft of the safety lever retains the grip safety, so if the safety lever comes out, the grip safety falls off.
However, if your pistol was placed in the car's glove compartment resting upon its safety, the car's motion might've jiggled the safety lever half-way off, between full-on and full-off. At that position, the safety lever will come out, and might even just fall out as the pistol was lifted.
If the safety lever fell out, the grip safety would then fall out too. This would be, of course, an unsafe condition. It could lead to an unintentional discharge that could ruin your entire day. And your car.

It is foolish to place a 1911 into a car's glove compartment, or into any other jiggly place, without putting it into a holster first. It is also not a great idea to place it with its safety lever down.
Find some other storage mode.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

chiefrcd

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »
Stored in a holster with a thumb latch over the hammer and safety.  Thats the issue, can't see how it could possibly have fallen out.  Parts were in the glove box, gun was in  the holster and the thumb latch is latched.   I'll reverse the lay when I get it fixed.  It's by far the most practical place for me to carry it in arms length.  Cross draw doesn't work for me and I'm so big nothing else works with a seat belt....I guess I could try a shoulder  holster.   Anyway, the reason was to remind everyone, keep a eye on them.  Even when you think they are perfect, there might be a issue.
Have Gun ~ Will Carry
S-Safety
M-Motivation
A-Awareness
R-Responsibility
T-Training

Coastie

Re: Check your carry often!!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 05:41:49 AM »
Shoulder holster or a concealment t-shirt would give you access to it when you're belted into your vehicle.  Frankly I'd probably go with the t-shirt as I'm more familiar with those, although I have worn a shoulder holster in the past.  What osrt of regular outfit do you wear chief?

chiefrcd

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:11:52 PM »
I usually carry IWB Silent Thunder by Tucker Leather but that is difficult at best while seat belted in.  I'm usually in a sweat shirt in the winter or a pull over so the Tee would not be a option.  I might look at one of those holsters that hooks to the seat and see how it would work.  Right now in the glove box is perfect for a location, but obviously not so hot as a carry spot.  BTW  I contact Para, they walked me though make the gun safe, then immediately e mailed me a return slip and number and I have already dropped the gun off at my local FFL store and they will ship it back.  Para stressed several times that I had a life time warranty and not to worry.  Hopefully it will not take too long.  I am happy with the service so far and the speed of getting it back to the manufacture.  Will post a update as to what they find and how long it takes to get it back.
Have Gun ~ Will Carry
S-Safety
M-Motivation
A-Awareness
R-Responsibility
T-Training

Coastie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »

chiefrcd

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
Thanks for posting those links.  The first one looks very interesting. 
Have Gun ~ Will Carry
S-Safety
M-Motivation
A-Awareness
R-Responsibility
T-Training

chiefrcd

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »
Shipped the gun out on the Dec.2 , received it back on the 9th, repaired and good to go.  They replaced the sear, recoil spring assembly, grip safety and safety lock....Para picked up all the shipping, parts and labor.  Best gun service I've ever gotten from any manufacture.
Just wanted to pass it on.
Have Gun ~ Will Carry
S-Safety
M-Motivation
A-Awareness
R-Responsibility
T-Training

DangeRuss

• MCRGO
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 05:51:48 PM »
Shipped the gun out on the Dec.2 , received it back on the 9th, repaired and good to go.  They replaced the sear, recoil spring assembly, grip safety and safety lock....Para picked up all the shipping, parts and labor.  Best gun service I've ever gotten from any manufacture.
Just wanted to pass it on.
That is great news and I would not hesitate to buy one with a warranty like that.

Russ
"In God we trust All others pay cash"
Member of
NRA
GOA
MCRGO
SAF
Member ACLDN

MilProGuy

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 01:04:46 AM »
If the LDA's safety lever, and its grip safety too, are anything like those of a standard 1911, here's what might've happened:

The safety lever stays in the gun when it's in full-on or full-off positions, and there's a built-in detent that holds the lever in those places. The shaft of the safety lever retains the grip safety, so if the safety lever comes out, the grip safety falls off.
However, if your pistol was placed in the car's glove compartment resting upon its safety, the car's motion might've jiggled the safety lever half-way off, between full-on and full-off. At that position, the safety lever will come out, and might even just fall out as the pistol was lifted.
If the safety lever fell out, the grip safety would then fall out too. This would be, of course, an unsafe condition. It could lead to an unintentional discharge that could ruin your entire day. And your car.

It is foolish to place a 1911 into a car's glove compartment, or into any other jiggly place, without putting it into a holster first. It is also not a great idea to place it with its safety lever down...

My Dad has always told that I could learn something new everyday if I'd only pay attention.  I've definitely learned something new today.

Thank you for sharing this most helpful information with us.

I'm fairly new to 1911s, having just acquired my Taurus PT1911 less than 6 months ago.

Proud Veteran of the U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired