Author Topic: El Presidente el reves  (Read 1995 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
El Presidente el reves
« on: September 30, 2013, 03:00:17 AM »
Most of you know of the El Presidente drill. It's a classic drill that emphasizes a few fundamental skills with the handgun. Three targets in line, 1 yard separating each, you at ten yards with six rounds ready and a reload with six more. Facing away, turn, draw, fire two rounds at each target, reload, fire two rounds at each target. That's it. Various ways to rate/score the drill.

What you will do in this variation is an El Presidente with this exception: You will not turn around. You will perform the drill without facing the targets, turning at the waist and firing over your shoulder or otherwise behind you. Except for that, perform the drill as standard.

Don't try this at full-tilt-bozo setting the first time. Some of us shouldn't be throwing ourselves headlong into twisted positions without checking the movement out first. You might want to just check range of motion on the twist and range of movement with the gun before you load up and go loud.

Be careful of one thing: Some of you, if you lock your feet into position, will put undue stress on the knee(s) when you turn. This could cause injury. Let your foot/feet rotate enough to keep rotational stress off the knee joint. Don't do this with locked knees. Don't move your foot, step forward or back to allow yourself to turn a little, unless it is absolutely necessary to prevent strain. As much as possible you want to remain turned directly away from the targets. Twist at the waist as much as you can without putting rotational stress on the knees or ankles.

Also, you need to know how to orient the gun in a safe direction if/when you turn through to the other side when you're shooting the drill. (You may have to turn from left back to right or vice versa to address all the targets.) Position Sul seems most appropriate for the transition.

Things to note: The gun is probably not going to stay vertical. You may not be able to shoot two-handed to every target.

I would also recommend performing standard and reverse El Presidentes at closer ranges. Five and three yards. Makes it more interesting in certain ways.

Some ranges may not allow you to face away when shooting a drill like this. Check that.

Don't forget to run this to both sides with both hands.

Besides the other things the El Presidente works on, this variation sets you up for a particular situation. Anyone care to opine as to what?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:31:14 PM by CR Williams »
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: El Presidente el reves
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:47:19 AM »
I opine that if a guy was addressing a threat to the front, and then additonal threats appeared from the rear, that this drill would afford some practice (at least) in a similarly unusual shooting stance.

BTW, good points made about range of motion and knee joints possibly being an issue.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »
That's one, oldranger. As Yoda said, "There is another." Anybody else?

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Bill MO

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:53:25 PM »
Besides the other things the El Presidente works on, this variation sets you up for a particular situation. Anyone care to opine as to what?

Yes I have my idea sent PM will see if that's right but will let others think on it.
"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

"If you are not training in “the reality of the fight” you are training to a lower standard." Roger Phillips

"It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby." reinman45

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
Is it The Lone Ranger, riding away from an outlaw gang, and shooting over his shoulder?  ;)

I used to love doing El Presidente matches! It joins The Mexican Defense and The Cooper Assault as my very favorite pistol exercises.
If you can do well at all three of those, you are an accomplished practical-pistol shooter.

We tried doing The Cooper Assault with rifles, one year.
I've never seen anything funnier since Milton Berle retired.

Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:44:50 PM »
Is it The Lone Ranger, riding away from an outlaw gang, and shooting over his shoulder? 

<snip>

Yuk Yuk, well, this IS the land of Vigilantes after all!

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:32:42 AM »
Bill MO posited running away at an angle while firing over the shoulder. (I've seen hand-span groups from a shooter as he moved full-speed from contact to nine yards. Most shooters were good for 5 to 7 yards doing this.)

There is one more. Mystery to remain for one more day. There is a clue to this in the drill description.

www.inshadowinlight.com

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »
Sitting in your car or one of the enclosed booths or bench seats you find at some restaurants with a requirement to engage attacker(s) in the 4-to-8 o'clock arc.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Bill MO

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 04:25:04 PM »
While seating in your car I can see this happening. I know one should not ever say "never" so will say seating in a restaurant I'm going to do everything I can to get to my feet. Most likely so I can move but even if I don't move I can if I want to alot better standing than seating or lying on the floor. On the floor I'm basically stuck bigtime, getting up is painful, slow and just plain awful to look at. Getting old sucks big time.

CR I do think this drill is good to learn and do, just in case one needs it, it's there. One can never (yes I said it there) learn to much.
"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

"If you are not training in “the reality of the fight” you are training to a lower standard." Roger Phillips

"It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby." reinman45

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »
I've been in some restaurant/fast food booths that didn't allow you to stand up, Bill. Car seat is going to be a more common likelihood, though.

www.inshadowinlight.com