Author Topic: Do you have any Ideas for the forum?  (Read 6370 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
Do you have any Ideas for the forum?
« on: September 19, 2013, 05:49:41 PM »
Do you have any ideas to get people discussing gun related items, (instead of just reading them and moving on)?
Do you have any ideas how to get people to come back to the forum more often?
Do you have any ideas that would make the forum or website more useful?
thanks
Robert
Time will tell.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Do you have any Ideas for the forum?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 06:51:51 PM »
Yes, my friend.
I will send suggestions by email.
Thanks for asking.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Spenson1981

• USAF Missile Maint.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 07:09:45 PM »
I think everyone on this forum does a great job with their posts, maybe just keep it as real as possible, this truly is a wealth of info.  With some of the awesome people you have on this forum, some of us are just trying to take it all in.  You've got C.R. Williams, Old ranger, tadrian just to name a few.  I truly enjoy reading their post, and sometimes neglect to post my own thoughts.  I guess what I am trying to say, just keep it going.

RezDuane

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »
Hmmm . . . 39 reads and three replies.  :-\ I see what you mean.
As one who only posts now and then I can only tell you my reasons.  I post when I need some help with a particular topic or when I see a topic that sparks my interest, perhaps because I have some knowledge of that subject and feel that I may have something to offer.  But as Spenson1981 said, you have quite a few really knowledgeable posters who can cover most any subject and it would seem the rest of us are content to just "stand in awe."  ;D
Personally, I really enjoy the time I spend on Gun Toters.  I often glean some good information and the thought has never occurred to me that the forum would not be considered useful by anyone.  The threads are clean and filled with good participants.  I've seen some forums so busy that you have to wade through too many troll postings to find any possible nuggets that may be there.
Usually, when you're happy with something, you're not looking for ways to improve it until you become unhappy with it.  I'm still happy with it so I'm of the opinion, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  On the other hand, as a moderator, you would be lax in your responsibilities were you not looking for ways to improve it.  So I probably haven't offered anything for the betterment of the forum except that I've posted and shared my opinion. And that's more than 36 others did  :o
TMS&ISTI
*NRA Life Member
*Viet Nam Vet (USN)
*Ham (The radio kind)
*Recovered Hippy

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, So help me God." 1/30/64

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »
Take it easy Robert . . . .
Take a deep breath and count the hits and reads and stop worrying about how many folks have something to say.

"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Brademan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »
I have to echo Chuck's post but for a different set of thoughts. 

We have a good amount of members and the topics that are posted generally get reasonable traffic.  It would be a good thing to get a few dozens more members, and one way to do that is to make a mission of going out to other forums and letting folks know we are here!  It might also be good to open a FaceBook page and cross promote.  If just those two things were done once, by most of the folks here, we could gain a MUCH larger following and stimulate a lot more discussion!
Brademan
Special Projects Manager - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Admin - ACLDN Forum
Patron Member - NRA
Aikidoka, Harley owner, steel crafter, shooter, Plain speaker

LEJoe

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »
Do you have any ideas to get people discussing gun related items, (instead of just reading them and moving on)?
Do you have any ideas how to get people to come back to the forum more often?
Do you have any ideas that would make the forum or website more useful?
thanks
Robert

No, to all the above questions. I like the board the way it is. Haven't thought much about changing anything, but will consider your request and reply at a later date.

RSMorgan

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »
No, I really don't. I've been "offline" with most of the forums I'd followed for quite a while now, but that has far more to do with issues of my life "in the meat" than a loss of interest or dissatisfaction. I would note that in some earlier posts I indicated that Guntoters seemed to be getting too much "general" and not enough "gun" chatter, but at least on the basis of a quick look around that seems to be less of an issue these days.

I don't know what makes some online communities prosper and only limited insights on why others crash-and-burn. (If I did I could be making far more $$$ than I do now!) I can't see any of the "sure signs of going down the toilet" issues here, but I have no ideas about how to "turn things around." I might guess that there really are too many other CCW-related forums, but beyond that all I can do is offer my best wishes and make more of an effort to check in here more often.

RSM

The truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!
The truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Bill MO

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:18:07 AM »
Robert as to how to get more posts and less reading, for me if I felt I had more good info and advice to post I would. But I've always considered myself to be someone who looked and listened more than spoke.

I don't think you want a forum where people post just to get their and yours post count up. I like informative posts lots more than just idle conversation

There's time I wonder why I hit the post-it button after I have posted.

Just me. 
"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

"If you are not training in “the reality of the fight” you are training to a lower standard." Roger Phillips

"It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby." reinman45

CedarElm7

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 04:28:41 AM »
Robert, first of all, thank you for providing this forum.

I certainly don't claim any great insight to be able to answer your questions, but I might humbly offer two suggestions as to why the traffic is lighter than we might optimally desire:  (1) My perception is that most of us who are gun owners are, by nature, slightly more reserved than the general public, and thus less prone to engage in gratuitous chatting; and (2) Many of us are relatively new to concealed carry, and thus are learning and soaking in information on this and other forums, while remaining hesitant to participate very much because we are acutely aware of our own ignorance.  As we gain knowledge and experience, we will no doubt have things to share.

Meanwhile, one thing I can think of that I personally can do is ask questions.  I'll try to do that, and perhaps others will too.  For the experienced pros in here, that might make for some boring "basics" discussions or redundancies, but it might also prompt ideas for other topics.

Again, thanks for providing the forum!  And I'll give a hat tip to NorCal Chuck, who advised me of its existence.
Brad

*Texas CHL*  *TSRA*  *NRA*  *SAF*  *GOA*  *NSSF*  Μολών Λαβέ

mjpell

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:33:14 AM »
this is a great forum, clean, overall very professional, people are courteous and knowledgeable.   I know I can ask questions without being insulted, and will get some good answers.

I'm not here a lot just because of all the things going on in life.  Always too many irons in the fire.

I'd say overall it probably doesn't need much changing, rather just additional members.   However, with additional members will come the riff-raff that will try to spoil it.  Of course they could be banned.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 06:27:26 AM »
I love the forum the way it is, I visit the sight just about every day, Some time I reply to a post, some times not, if I don't think I can add anything new to a topic, I might not, there are a few members here, I respect their opinions on many topics, gun related or not, I believe I have learned from them, and have passed their knowledge on to others I have meet, Hoping they have learned from me, I wouldn't change the forum at all, In my opinion, It the best gun forum around today, so, Robert, I thank you for a great place to visit, and share my interest with other like minded folks
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

Canntt1195

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 07:30:36 AM »
Robert,
I too would like to echo the sentiments of the previous posters, I don't think that there are any "improvements" needed, this forum is very good as it is(in my opinion) here one can feel "safe" to ask any question and not get bashed by those with greater knowledge, as one of those who reads way more than posts I feel, like others have stated, that if I don't have anything to add to a topic or need more information, I will only read and not comment just to comment. Thank you for providing this valuable resource for us and keep up the good work!

MASTER BLASTER

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 09:10:14 AM »
I concur with those who have posted above. I would add that since this is a gun related forum, that fact fairly defines at least some of the thought processes and opinions of the community of "posters". For that reason I also enjoy reading those non-gun related posts such as political and general interest items that help me to understand the thoughts and opinions of the community.
I try to limit my participation to those instances where I feel that I have something to add to the conversation as do the vast majority of those who post here. I believe that is one of the very positive things about this forum.

Charles1951

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »
I agree with everybody, Robert. This is a great forum. Thanks for providing it. Having a clean, safe place to express opinions without concern for being bashed on the small stuff is a very attractive feature here. You are getting some good suggestions but for my part I'll just try to post a little more often for added variety to the conversation sake.
Charles

-Texas CHL-*-USAF retired-*-Oath Keeper-*-American Legion-*-NRA-*-IDPA-

============================================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

pafindr

• Christus nos liberavit
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 09:51:20 AM »
This may not go over big but here it is.

Sometimes a post is a teaching post that doesn't ask a question so people will read it, get the information, and move on without posting. Other times people will start reading a thread and find they don't have that much interest in the topic so they move on. Other posts just have a link known as a blind link, people will not click on the link because they don't know what they will find there (I'm one of those). If I don't know what's behind the link I'm probably not going to click it. Or as someone on another forum once said "If the poster doesn't care enough to let me know what I'm clicking why should I click". Usually adding a small excerpt or part of a paragraph from the story will encourage a person to click.

Forums are a numbers game. Usually there is only a small percentage of members that are normally active on any one forum. So the way to get more people to post is to have large numbers.
I'm a moderator on a very large forum for scuba diving, it has over 230,000 members. Only a fraction of those members post on a regular basis. We have posts that can have 1,000 views but only 30 actual posts, and of those maybe 10 people are doing the posting.
Just looking at one very popular thread called
"Guns and those other things Mike had listed"
Views: 38,330
Replies: 5,347

A post that isn't as popular:
"PADI dive master swim test"
Views: 2,049
Replies: 40

The big thing that has to be decided is what exactly you want out of your forum. If you want a lot of posts and responses you'll need to drive up numbers. If you want to be low key you will have less people posting and responding.
One of the bonuses of keeping it small is people open up more and you "get to know" those that are regulars.
One of the drawbacks is "the law of attrition". As members leave there will be less members to fill the void, so you will have less posts.
Do what you've always done, get what you've always gotten.

crzyjarmans

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 02:56:21 PM »
I just thought of something that I would like, An App for smart phones, like the Iphone, That is something I would down load

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 05:07:55 PM »
I just thought of something that I would like, An App for smart phones, like the Iphone, That is something I would down load
Have you tried taptalk?
Time will tell.

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 06:26:08 PM »
Robert you've gotten some fine suggestions and feedback so far.  I read this earlier this morning but have had a heck of a day so didn't post an immediate reply. That makes me one of the readers driving the numbers up.  That happens, I'm sure to others also.

I'm still thinking about your questions.  You know me.  When I work, I work hard.  When I play, I play hard.  When I think, I fall asleep!!!  So anyway, I like the forum but may have suggestions a bit later when things calm down around here.

Right now I'd like to address a couple of comments to the replies you've gotten so far, in particular to the newer members and those new to guns in general, and to concealed carry.

To all of you, thanks for being here.  You are what makes the forum work, worthwhile participating in, interesting, and fun.  Each of us has had to start somewhere in our personal "Journey of the Gun".  Some of us for whatever reason started early in our lives, some of us came later, but that's what we have in common and are here to share that journey with one another, learn from one another, help one another as we can.  The point of fact is that no matter how smart or experienced any one of us is, when we combine what we have, and share it amongst the group, the group takes on and possesses an intelligence and experience factor that always exceeds the intelligence and experience of any one single member of the group.  Any group leader or member, irrespective of the group's purpose, should know and share that fact.  Doing so the group eventually exceeds even it's most experienced members.

Specifically to all the newer members, as your life permits, please allow us the privilege and pleasure of getting to know you, and helping you get involved in any way you choose.  The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. 

This is a selfish request on my part.  What's the sense of being older-than-dirt and having all these experiences to share, and wonderful stories running around in our memories to tell, if there's no one to care, take advantage of, tell them to, or share them with? 

Your newness refreshes us and gives us a reason to keep coming back...more fodder for our grist mill!

And the friendships that have been found and made here, sharing our different levels of experience and involvement, are not to be taken lightly.  They count.  You count, and we'd like to get to know each of you better.  We have a vested interest in your getting more involved, it makes it richer for the rest of us...all of us.  I learn something from this forum pretty much every day...if I'm paying attention. Working on that...!

Welcome to all of you.  I'm selfishly glad you're here! Tadrian (Tom)

Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

Shawn Hoyle

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 10:10:16 PM »
Robert,

First of all let me thank you for having the gumption to start the Guntoters forum to get us away from the marketing hype of a certain money-hungry insurance salesman. I am grateful for the vast amount of knowledge and experience that I had the opportunity to have access to and learn from. When I signed up to guntoters almost two years ago, I was a new gun owner and CC'er. And although I am far from knowing everything there is to know about guns, I have come a long way and feel very comfortable in my ability to act on a threat and protect myself and my family, if I have to. I have taken the advice of the pros and have taken numerous professional training classes and just recently began shooting in USPSA events. Because of what I have learned from the fine people at guntoters, I have been able to start two church security teams and offer my knowledge to other churches in my area and currently, I am working with my local school district on how to protect our children. I have even been able to work with Jim Irvine of Buckeye Firearms Association and my state legislators to change our state laws and codes pertaining to our second amendment rights.

I said all of that to say this: Thank you to you and all of our contributing members for helping me become the guntoting, second amendment advocate that I am. I couldn't have done it without you.

Now, here's my take on the forum. When guntoters was a new forum, it was a blank slate. Nothing. Nada. Then, gun loving folks joined and introduced themselves. Threads where started and discussed. Questions were asked and answered. The Chat and Blog were started. It was so exciting to be a part of the development of a forum that, over time, accumulated so much information on just about everything there is to know about guns, ammo, cc'ing, holsters, home defense and all the rest. Now, a newbee could essentially join up and become an expert as fast as he/she could read all of the threads (as long as they also got some professional training and practiced their skills).

Some members are probably retired and have spare time, but I believe most of us are still working and doing other things to be a productive citizens and therefore prioritize like good Americans should. At one point in my life, about two years ago, when my priority was to learn everything I could about the subjects of this forum, guntoters was high one my list. I was on here nearly every day or night. I still love this forum and I would love to spend more time here, but the knowledge I have gained from these great members has equipped me and enabled me to offer and extend my knowledge out into the world to make a difference in other people. To equip and enable other people to defend themselves, if they have to.

As a Christian and a Guntoter, I wouldn't be a good steward if I didn't overflow my cup to help others.

I think this forum will always be attractive to newbees, and to those who have the time to be teachers, and I certainly hope that someday my life will slow down enough to become a regular again. I think most new members have a LOT of reading to do before they start asking questions. I think if you just keep up with current events and technology, that's all you can do. The rest has been covered.

Again, my gratitude to all I have learned from. I wish I could read all the posts I have missed, but I'm just too far behind.

Stay Safe and Carry On.
USAF
NRA
ACLDN
NAGR
CST

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

-Ronald Reagan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jtg452

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »
I agree with what's been said above.  It's more about the # or reads and the quality of the posts than the quantity.  Most big boards are ate up with egotists that just want to pontificate.  You know the type, the ones in love with the sound of their own voices and are never wrong.

I come by near 'bout every day.  Sometimes, a couple times a day.  I don't post much because I usually don't have anything to add to what's already been said.  I'm not 'a post count means something' kind of guy.  If I have something worthwhile to add, I add it.  If I have a strong opinion on a matter under discussion, I add it.  Otherwise, I tend to sit back, nod to myself at the appropriate places and just read what's been written. 

Don't feel bad Robert.  I'm a member of a forum that I've been on since the mid '90's and I still have less than 5K posts on it.  I've seen 4 format changes and a dozen moderators come through at one time or another over there.  There are folks that joined last year that have more posts than I do.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
Robert, I think that we all had pat answers for you. For myself, I don't.

I think what draws me here is the kinship that I feel among the members - even when we might disagree or may not look at things in the same way.

Many of the members here are refugees from other sites and some are members of multiple sites related to firearms as well as other things. I was a member of USCCA as were many of us; a site that has failed (IMHO) by the way . I think that what is more important is knowing what keeps people away from a site and try not to do that. I think that a key factor is "do no harm." I think that this site fulfills that factor - and should continue to do so.

We have seen happy, sad, glad and mad on this forum. Really, isn't that what it is all about? You have provided a place where discoveries are shared, stories are told, myths dispelled and all among people that I am proud to call friends although we have never met in person. We are all, at times, dazzled and frazzled by what we read and sometimes we take the time to voice our thoughts, feelings, and opinions about things.

There are things that we discover and can reveal here that we can't anywhere else. For example, do you really think that my wifey is interested in how I used a bore-sight laser to adjust the rear sight on my 1911? Do you really think that she would be interested in hearing about how a leather holster can be embossed with the same pattern as the firearm that it will house? Do you think that she really cares if I prefer a thumb-break on an OWB holster? Do you think that she wants to hear about how I held a Modello Argentino 1879 military rolling-block rifle in my hands or that it was chambered for the .43 Spanish round and that some were converted to 7mm? Where else would I let it be known that I picked up a copy of TM 9-1005-211-34? Somebody, here in this forum, just might have an opinion about those things that they want to share.

There are some on this forum that can say a lot with little. While others like me, say little with a lot. Where else can I read a joke and get a good recipe in the same place? Where else can we get to "listen" in on conversations about religion, politics, and firearms - all in one place. While there might be others that I haven't visited yet, I feel comfortable here, thank you.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

flyover

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »
This is a good forum and I don’t have any ideas for you.  I try to check in at least once a day, if time permits. If I don’t have anything to add, I generally go to the next posting.
I have informed several people of this forum and it appears that they chose not to join, and I think it is their loss.

crzyjarmans

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 08:32:53 AM »
Have you tried taptalk?
No, I will check them out, but still would like to stay connected with guntoters.com, Even when I'm not home

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
Have you tried taptalk?
No, I will check them out, but still would like to stay connected with guntoters.com, Even when I'm not home
go to guntoters.com via your phn and it will tell you taptalk is available follow the instructions for your phone.
Time will tell.

crzyjarmans

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »
Have you tried taptalk?
go to guntoters.com via your phn and it will tell you taptalk is available follow the instructions for your phone.
Are you referring to "TAPATALK"?

RezDuane

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
I was following a bit about Tapatalk and downloaded just to see if it might be something I would use.  Seems pretty good except it doesn't seem to save passwords in the program itself.  Like after I've been off awhile and want to go back to GunToters it asks me for my password in Tapatalk.  Not when it actually takes me to the forum.  What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
TMS&ISTI
*NRA Life Member
*Viet Nam Vet (USN)
*Ham (The radio kind)
*Recovered Hippy

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, So help me God." 1/30/64

SARGeek

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
Robert,

There are only two forums that I consider worth my time and this is one of them. It is a fantastic forum that has a welcoming and down-to-earth attitude and a wealth of great knowledge and experience to offer all who visit.

You can promote the forum and bring in some new blood through Facebook or other social media but I would caution that we put some extra attention on what makes us a great place when we do. Trolls abound many places on the internet and I consider GunToters to be one place where I am relatively safe from such nonsense due to the great efforts of the membership here. The result is one of the best places on the internet to frankly and rationally discuss firearms. Bringing in a whole slew of new folks is likely to bring in some weeds too and we'll need to get them out of the mix so as to keep the things that make this forum great.

I am not opposed to bring new folks with new perspectives and expertise in through cross promoting and the like, just want to make sure we don't trample our old friends in our effort to make new ones.

As to the forum itself: I cannot think of a thing to change right now. We have a very viable scope of topics and a fair number of genuine experts here and to open it up much more might leave us prone to trying to be all things to all people which is doomed to failure. By all means encourage posting in the topics we have but let's not lose sight of who we are in an effort to attract anyone.

Lastly, thanks for GunToters. It is a great place and great people and you should be proud of what you've helped bring about. It is a work of good.
SARGeek

1911 guy

• Mischief? Mayhem? My work here is done.
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 11:47:12 PM »
I'm on a couple forums, none of them frequent and all very different topics.  Guns, model trains, bagpipes and motorcycles.  There are many forums devoted to each of these topics and I chose one or two for each topic.  The choice had nothing to do with bells and whistles, it had to do with the congeniality and level of discussion on the given topic.  I actually "ditched" another forum for this one, even though I'm not here often.

On the other hand, I also realize that as the webmaster, you are under some pressure to generate hits.  The problem from a user perspective is that more hits often equals some level of degeneration of the quality of content.  Sorta darned if you do and darned if you don't.
I wish I believed in reincarnation.  Where's Charles Martel when you need him?

pop pop

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 06:37:22 AM »
I like the forum and visit daily, but have been traveling as of late. Will continue to until around the first of November, Thanks for providing the forum Robert. All forum post seem to be down, not just this one. You do have a reasonable read activity but I don't have any suggestions to get them to post rebuttles to the topics being discussed. Keep up the good work Robert.

Perhaps, there a lot of newbies in the gun owning realm and they are looking for info and don't feel comfortable commenting. IMO, a number of people don't want to come across as seeming to ask dumb questions. There are few dumb questions and most knowledables will respond with helpful info. Most even overlook bad grammer and my awful attempts at spelling. That comes with my not composing anything for 40 years. I do find this a friendly and considerate place here.

This point should be brought out, and may-be a few more will take time to comment.

Para Driver

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
I changed my user name from the "other" forum because it included my name, and joined this forum a couple years ago after the mass exodus from the "other" forum by all the previous members there that I really respected, such as Tadrian, Coastie, CR Williams, Taurian, Pop Pop, BillMO, M1911A1, NorCalChuck, RayMich, and many others. Shortly after that, it seemed this forum had slowed down, and I guess I just forgot about it until Harvey's e-mail the other day. I have always read more than I posted, as those previously mentioned seemed to have a supreme grasp of the content and I learned so much from them. Another reason I didn't post much was that by the time I read a new thread, usually some of the regulars had already answered the initial question and I didn't have anything extra to add. This is a testament to the quality of the members who hang out here. I think the general economy is another reason that you see a lack of traffic here, as many are just trying to get by, by looking for a job or working multiple part time jobs and just don't have a lot of extra time. Summer time is a time also, that traffic is down normally. It should pick up when winter hits. Another reason, I believe for the lack of posts, shouldn't be discounted, and that's the very real threat of the authorities snooping on every word that's printed here and all other conservative internet sites. A lot of people are keeping their ideas close to the vest, when it comes to posting anything remotely political or even what used to be mainstream thought. "Mainstream" conservatism is now viewed by those in power as radical right wing extremism. I personally don't care, because I have made it on many of their lists long ago. Just my take on some of the reasons for low post numbers. I think I'll hang out here more, now. Thanks, Harvey for the reminder.
Rick

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 08:20:17 AM »

<snip>

I think the general economy is another reason that you see a lack of traffic here, as many are just trying to get by, by looking for a job or working multiple part time jobs and just don't have a lot of extra time. Summer time is a time also, that traffic is down normally. It should pick up when winter hits. Another reason, I believe for the lack of posts, shouldn't be discounted, and that's the very real threat of the authorities snooping on every word that's printed here and all other conservative internet sites. A lot of people are keeping their ideas close to the vest, when it comes to posting anything remotely political or even what used to be mainstream thought. "Mainstream" conservatism is now viewed by those in power as radical right wing extremism.

<snip>

The words above apply to me.  I've been super busy since June with The Ice House, with little time to even sleep.  But with the onset of winter, and ice sales dropping, I'll no doubt spend more time at the terminal.

Also, I too have a growing concern about Internet "privacy" or, lack thereof, and I know that if ever called onto the carpet for anything (like a self defense shooting - God forbid), any and every thing I've ever posted or emailed can and will be brought up as "evidence" against me.  So, I've been a bit more careful in recent months about spouting off.  In this climate of "hue and cry" against mere gun ownership, I am sure that my name occupies more than one "list" already.  Therefore, I subdue my urges to fluency.  That also may change.  We shall see.

This is still the only gun related forum I frequent regularly.  I see no reason to change anything, really.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.