Author Topic: .44 Magnum bullets for Pig Hunting.  (Read 3339 times)

CATM93

.44 Magnum bullets for Pig Hunting.
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
I am trying to design some bullets to be used to hunt wild pigs.  A perspective customer asked that they weigh about 300 grains.  Is this the preferred weight?  Is deep penetration the key, or is there a degree of expansion also needed?  Exactly how tough are these critters?  The customer is in Texas if that is any help.

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
Re: .44 Magnum bullets for Pig Hunting.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »
http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbiggame/a/wheretoshoothog.htm
Is this any help?
It gives info on the bullets used and recommended.

thanks
Robert Harvey
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:07:31 AM by Robert Harvey »
Time will tell.

tomtsr

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »
Pigs are some of the toughest critters around.  Their hide is thick and they have an extremely tough layer of fat and gristle that sounds like a tire when you hit it.

Federal has a hunting load for a .44 MAG its 300gr castcore jacked lead tip. Penetration is the key.

Hope this helps.
Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

Unashamedly an American Patriot

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
www.milehighhandgun.com

CATM93

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
I was thinking of making a dual core bullet.  The first core will be bonded to the jacket to insure deep penetration.  The second core will be placed on top of this core and swagged in place.  I have punches to make cup point or hollow point bullets, but I think, on this one, a Keith style point would be the best.  I ordered one thousand bullet jackets from my supplier last night.  When they come in, I will post pictures to show how different ideas come out.

Coastie

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »
I wish more and more hunters would go for the rural pig, because there's just too many of these critters out there, especially when the Discovery Channel puts on multiple series on pig hunting!  Some day as we have all heard the pig will take over the country.  So get them now while their hot! 

Shoot I knew a guy in CA back in the early 70s who used to hunt pigs in California with only a knife!  That's a little too close for me.  I prefer to reach out and touch something from a distance...

For some reason, after reading the link that Robert provided I'm wondering if .44 mag is just a little too large a round.

tomtsr

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »
I read somewhere, I think it was in Robert's link, that dead is dead.  ;D  Overkill is nearly impossible with a pistol.  Many hunters use a 270 or better.

With the reproduction rate of pigs, we could hunt every day without over hunting the critters.
Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

Unashamedly an American Patriot

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
www.milehighhandgun.com

Coastie

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:09:02 PM »
Still a 270 is smaller caliber than a 44 mag isn't it?  I sort of prefer 30-06 myself. 

hogcowboy

• Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 02:31:36 PM »
As a rancher I can tell you most rancher don't care what you use. Just shoot the darn things and if you don't drop it on the first shot, track it and hit it again. There is no way there is a chance of over harvest.  Even with this years drought the numbers are growing. They finally got to my place this year. Spotted 25 to 30 this morning just out of range and by the time I could get to a better spot they were gone.  Other ranchers around here have gone to night time hunt cause you can put a spot light on them and they just stand there wait to be plugged.  Rancher next to me has been letting hunters take all they can get and claims they've been harvesting 10 or 12 a week and yet they keep growing in numbers.  We are going to set a trap out and see how many we can corral that way but the darn things get smart about traps and learn to avoid them. Since they a new to our place we should get a few that way but they reproduce so fast there's no way we will ever get them all. So shoot the darn things with what ever you got. [/rant]

Coastie

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Those you don't shoot, lay traps for them, and when you get some in the trap give their meat to the local food bank!  Then it's a win-win situation for all.

hogcowboy

• Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »
That's exactly what I do with the deer I shoot and I'll be doing the same with pigs.  But from what I understand talking to one rancher, there's a market for them in Japan.  He says the ones his trappers catch are going there.  I don't know if they are sending them alive or after slaughter but apparently there is a small cottage industry beginning to grow there. I hope it catches on myself.  They are very destructive.

Coastie

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »
From what I've heard they ARE!  They go after everything on 4 and 2 legs.  Calves aren't safe, considering that cattle and cows are bullied and chased away by the hogs I feel for the ranchers!  Here it's coyotes that go after the newborn calves and I've helped rancher friends during breeding when their calving by lending eyes and rifle to protect the newborns!  The only good coyote/hog are dead ones!

hogcowboy

• Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
The only good coyote/hog are dead ones!
Right.  You can add snakes too.

mustang125

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »
Snakes are our freinds. ;D They eat all the mice which keeps them out of my Car. :'( I have killed pigs with a 22 and they died really quick.

hogcowboy

• Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
Snakes are our freinds. ;D They eat all the mice which keeps them out of my Car.
I have cats for that. :) :) :)

Coastie

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »
There's nothing like "Barn" cats.  My b-in-l has several that live in his bard (and not his house) and since he has Alpacas in the barn, and hay, these cats keep the mice and lil red squirrels (they eat all but the tails) out!  (I've been thinking of packaging the tails and selling them on eBay.  My house cat goes gaga over them!  Better than catnip!  :)

barnjoer

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »
CATM93    I shoot a 275 gr Keith style bullet in my 7 1/2'' Redhawk & in my Marlin leaver rifle. What to many hunters don't understand is it is not the size of the bullet it is the placement. I have killed pigs here in Texas with A 22lr. Just like in any shooting situation it is bullet placement.  I get tickled at these guys that come to my area from Dallas & Austin that think they have to have A 7mm Mag or even A 300 Win Mag to hunt deer. Then they shoot them 2 or 3 times.
John
He Who Expects Nothing Won't Be Deceived!!
TEXAS CHL / NRA /
Carry LOADED Always!!

DangeRuss

• MCRGO
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
Yep barnjoer one well placed shot to the lungs of any animal and its all over.If you can breath your dead Period. I allways aim to take out the lungs in whitetail deer, and they bleed all over the place, Makes for easy tracking with or without snow.

Russ
"In God we trust All others pay cash"
Member of
NRA
GOA
MCRGO
SAF
Member ACLDN