Author Topic: Being In Time  (Read 948 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Being In Time
« on: September 03, 2013, 07:05:41 AM »
No, that's not a misprint.

This is a concept that can be applied to drill and practice, not a drill itself.

Martial artists and specifically fencers and other sword-fighters understand and study timing and rhythm. The last formal martial art I studied showed me, among other things, that you can defeat a physically faster/quicker opponent by understanding and using timing and to a lesser extent distance.

There is a rhythm in everything I can think of. Physiology, biological processes, and physics pretty much demand it. Your task will be to determine and understand your own rhythms and timings and to consider how to 1)disrupt the rhythm and timing of others and 2)use the attacker's timing to your advantage.

Pick any drill. Put yourself on a counter. You need a metronome or audible/visual counting app of some type. Something that will give you a cue to a steady count or rhythm. Start that counter and perform the drill by the count, in time with the established rhythm. Start slower than you normally do and make yourself stay in time. Don't break the timing/rhythm, don't go faster than the count even if can. Pay attention to mechanics and how things feel. This may provide you diagnostic as to whether you're performing the technique(s) properly and moving effectively.

After a while, you can begin speeding up the count in increments. One-two-one-two-one-two-three moves in steps to onetwoonetwoonetwothree and maybe even to otnweootnweoottnwheoree. As long as the rhythm is maintained and you're moving for best efficiency and effectiveness, that's what you do. Back off the timing when you start breaking the movement.

Now, watch other people. On video, in real life, shooting or just moving around doing things. Look for the rhythms and timings in their movements. You might want to take in a video of a martial artist doing a kata, a sparring competition, or a fencing match to observe the timing there. After this, you can look at full-on fighting such as MMA bouts or non-entertainment wrestling and start looking at the timing and rhythms displayed there.

Now you begin to consider the disruption of timing or even the use of timing against the attacker. Now you begin to consider and, where possible, experiment with disruption of movement and initiative through the use of disruption of timing and with the concept of counter-timing, putting your own movement into the places between the beats of your opponent. This is not just a physical thing. There is mental and emotional timing as well that can be disrupted and that will affect physical movement.

This is an advanced concept that may take some time, maybe a lot, to begin to grasp. It is important to be patient with yourself as you work through this. Be advised, there will like be no point where you've gone as far with this as you can. Good news is, it can be quite fascinating to consider.

Like it or not, ladies and gentlemen, in taking up the study of the counter-offensive firearm, you are studying a martial art and are now students thereof. (Some people don't think, or don't like to think this is true of the art and science of the gunfight. They are wrong to do so. You can tell them I said that.) At some point, all martial arts, explicitly or not, look at timing, counter-timing, rhythm, and disruption of rhythms. As it is with others, so it is with the firearm. I believe it will do nothing but benefit you to begin now.

Relax. Focus. Begin.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: Being In Time
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »
Informative post, CR. Thanks for your insight.

In Aikido, there is something called the "Dynamic Sphere." When I initially studied the art, I learned that the sphere determines the speed at which we respond to an attacker; the smaller the sphere, the more critical the timing. The object was to, "Invite the attacker into the house (the Dynamic Sphere), then invite the attacker out of the house." In the beginning, the "sphere" was quite large. As training progressed, the sphere became smaller, the actions quicker, the timing more precise. However, the sphere is always with you - regardless of its size.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.