Author Topic: Hogue Exotic Hardwood...  (Read 2518 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Hogue Exotic Hardwood...
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »
...Finger Grove Grips.

So, you have a 1911 and really don't want to put ugly, rubber grips on it or that set of Packmyr wood grips with rubber finger grooves. Well, I don't blame you.

You are in luck, as Hogue may have a grip that you would be interested in. But, they are not for everybody and they are not for every 1911.

Back in another life I carried a Colt MKIV 80-Series Government Model as an on-duty firearm. At that time, rubber grips were unavailable for the most part and those that were I didn't care for. I wanted a good set of grips that would also afford a good grip. I happened to like finger grooves in my grips and I discovered the Hogue series of exotic hardwood grips with finger grooves. They stayed on that firearm and I received a lot of comments on them - even from a State Court Judge who also carried a 1911.

I later had to sell the gun and the grips went with it. Now that I have a few more 1911s, I was still looking for a great set of grips to mount on the betters.

I ordered a set of the Hogue Exotic Hardwood grips with finger grooves in Pau Ferro wood for my Ruger SR1911. They were a perfect fit and beautifully finished. I ordered a second set, in Coco Bolo wood for the Ruger SR1911CMD. Again, a perfect fit and beautifully finished.

I ordered a third set for another 1911 in Rosewood. This set was not so good. The gap at the front of the grip would not completely close up when mounted. That was disconcerting. This set took some work with a sanding block and a couple of files before I could close the gap.

This poor fit was not the fault of the grips, however. They fit perfect on the Ruger SR1911. The reason is that not all 1911-based pistols are made the same. The grip frame on the particular pistol that I was trying to mount the panels was slightly thicker than the Ruger. Also, I had to reshape the top of the right grip panel to work with an ambidextrous safety, although the grip is cut for an ambidextrous safety, the top of the panel needed to be lowered. You won't have this problem with a left-thumb only safety.

These grips are excellent and even with the smooth texture they help to lock the fingers into a good shooting position; something that is quite important.

Of the three the I have, the Coco Bolo and Pau Ferro wood versions are really nice looking and compliment the stainless-steeled SR1911s.

You just might like these grips yourself.

Here is a few links:

Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
Re: Hogue Exotic Hardwood...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
very nice
Time will tell.

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 03:56:26 AM »
The Pau Ferro are nice, but I particularly like the Coco Bolo.  Had a set of them years ago for my Colt Gold Cup.  Sadly someone else liked that gun more than I did and offered me so much it went home with him. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 05:11:35 AM by Tadrian »
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

mustang125

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 04:50:10 AM »
I personally don't like the looks of them on a 1911. They do feel good on the hands. I guess that is why they make thousands of styles of grips. I loves my black houge grips. :-)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
I personally don't like the looks of them on a 1911. They do feel good on the hands. I guess that is why they make thousands of styles of grips. I loves my black houge grips. :-)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I have the Hogue rubber wrap-a-round grips on a couple of 1911s (The Rock Island Line and a Norinco) and they work great. I just wanted something a little more stylish for my two boys  ;D .

I have Hogue exotic hardwood grips on my GP100 (no finger groove in Tulip wood) and SP101 (with finger groove in Coco Bolo).

Breaking with my traditional thinking of finger-groove grips, I have a set of Hogue Colt & 1911 Government Grips in Kingwood coming in for a Desert Eagle 1911C, which I hope will look great on that one. If not, they will be great on something - even if I don't have it yet  ;D

For my new carry, the Rock Island M1911A1 SF Tactical, I decided to keep the original grips. Although not fancy, I'm getting used to them.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:12:26 AM »
Update to my original post:

"I ordered a third set for another 1911 in Rosewood. This set was not so good. The gap at the front of the grip would not completely close up when mounted. That was disconcerting. This set took some work with a sanding block and a couple of files before I could close the gap."

The gap; however, was still pronounced although not as bad as before. I decided to remove them. They do, after a little work widening and deepening the ambi-safety notch with an X-acto tool, fit perfectly on a GSG 1911 22. This was probably due to the thinner grip frame of the GSG.

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »
Update to my original post:

"I ordered a third set for another 1911 in Rosewood. This set was not so good. The gap at the front of the grip would not completely close up when mounted. That was disconcerting. This set took some work with a sanding block and a couple of files before I could close the gap."

The gap; however, was still pronounced although not as bad as before. I decided to remove them. They do, after a little work widening and deepening the ambi-safety notch with an X-acto tool, fit perfectly on a GSG 1911 22. This was probably due to the thinner grip frame of the GSG.

Nice!
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 08:51:37 AM »
What would Independence Day be without adding a new set of grip panels to a 1911-based pistol?

Happy Independence Day!