Author Topic: Really ?  (Read 1699 times)

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
Really ?
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:04:28 AM »
WBAL-TV 11 Baltimore

Each week, 50 children are backed over by a vehicle. This morning, parents of children who were killed in a back-over accident are calling on the White House to try to prevent those crashes. In 2008, Congress passed a law to order the Department of Transportation to issue new safety regulations, like putting rear-view cameras or rear-sensor systems in every new vehicle. But after 5 years and 4 delays, those rules haven't been issued. Safety advocates say that automakers claim the technology is just too expensive for every car: it would add about $175 to the price of a new vehicle.
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
Re: Really ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 04:20:46 AM »
At a $175 compared to a child's life it seems almost criminal to me that they haven't done it! 
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

GTG

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:36:44 AM »
In mass production I would expect it would be much cheaper than 175
'The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer.' Henry Kissinger

"A Nation Of Sheep Will Beget A Government Of Wolves" Edward D Murrow

"Either We Are A Country Of Laws With A Constitution, Or We Are A Banana Republic"

flyover

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:45:33 AM »
What?? Doesn't anybody do a-walk-around their vehicle before getting in and driving off?? Not only that but it lets you scope out the area around you to check on the kids and/or pets.  Heck, you can install a backup alarm, you know that loud BEEP_BEEP sound, on a car for less than 30 bucks.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »
The demand made upon the government, to "do something" about parents' cars backing over their own children, is nothing more than an attempt to shift the blame for their own stupid, careless actions over to the car manufacturers, and thereby to absolve themselves of their own well-deserved guilt.

This is how "nanny government" gets started:
• My family is too fat, so I need the mayor to outlaw fatty foods and sugary drinks.
• I get so uncontrollably angry that I sometimes just want to go out and kill people, so I require the legislature to outlaw deadly weapons.
• I'm too negligent and lazy to make sure that my child is out of the way, so I want the government to force car makers to produce cars that won't back-up over people.

And, Tom, you fell for it. And GTG, too.
Where were your critical-thinking skills, guys?
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Tadrian

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
Yeah I guess I fell for it.  You might not know enough about me.  When I works, I work hard.  When I play, I plays hard...And when I thinks...I fall asleep!  So I must have been sleeping.

That said, I like technology.  Cars have all kinds of view screens in them already.  To my mind having a camera attached that lets me see behind my vehicle anytime I am moving backwards would be a feature I'd like.  I put a beautiful color system in my RV and love it.  Am considering putting one in my 4x4 truck.  It would work great in the woods, at the boat ramp, out in the middle of our herd of cows, WalMart parking lot, or at the Post Office where one can't see to back out of their parking spaces. 

Oh, and I don't have any young kids. 
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

mjpell

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »
Maybe they should outlaw the deadly vehicles we have.  I mean really,  these things are dangerous!  You never know when one will just open up and run over a dozen people at the Mall.   At least limit the fuel tank to 8 gallons or less.    ???

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »
Maybe they should outlaw the deadly vehicles we have.  I mean really,  these things are dangerous!  You never know when one will just open up and run over a dozen people at the Mall.   At least limit the fuel tank to 8 gallons or less.    ???
they want all of us to ride bicycles please don't tempt them to pursue it.
Time will tell.

pstan13

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 08:26:27 AM »
There is no reason anyone needs more than 4 cylinders to go grocery shopping.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Tadrian

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »
There is no reason anyone needs more than 4 cylinders to go grocery shopping.

My Jeep has four...my gun has SIX!  ;D

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »
I don't know about all of this. I do know that fat women who wear Spandex at the grocery store should have cameras and they need back-up beepers.

I was standing in the Kroger check-out with this very large lady in front of me. Now, normally I don't get close to people but I only had a few things in my hand and I moved forward to allow the lady behind me to place her stuff on the conveyor belt. It was about that time when the fat lady stepped back after scanning her payment card and I started singing. I had an ingrown toenail on my big toe of the left foot at the time and when that nail pierced skin...!

I wanted to pull my foot out from beneath hers but I was afraid that I would topple the shelves as I was grabbing for them on the way down to the floor. She lurched forward and hit my broken collarbone with her elbow as I was grabbing the counter rail. That set off a new explosion of sensations and I darn near killed the lady who was behind me when I threw my arm up to protect me from getting any more damage.

The fat lady jumped forward and I was able to get my senses about me. I might have hurt the fat lady's feeling when I told her that she needed to warn somebody when she was backing up but, at that point, I really didn't care about anybody's feelings as lightning bolts were going off in my heads and spots were drifting in front of my eyes.

The fat lady left the store and I left shortly after that while carrying what I had in my good arm and limping on my bad foot. When I got to the door, I had to look around and make sure that she (the fat lady) was no where around. A fat lady like had had to be driving a big vehicle and I didn't want her backing over me again.

I got home and the wifey ask me what what wrong with me - I made the mistake of telling her.

Some hot water, some magnesium sulphate, and a very large pair of clippers took care of that ingrown toenail. I could not do anything about the collarbone but I'm just glad it wasn't my jaw that she hit; I would have been sucking on Gummi-Bears and slurping soup through a straw for some time had she nailed me in the jaw.

This lady made me a believer that if one is that large and buys more food - they need to walk home.

I would ride a bicycle to the store but my wifey won't let me get on a bicycle anymore.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 04:17:11 PM »
you heard the one,

a little girl and her dad were standing in the check out line and a very large lady was in front of them.
her beeper started going off. the little girl hollered "Look out dad shes backing up!!!"
Time will tell.

Tadrian

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »
I don't know about all of this. I do know that fat women who wear Spandex at the grocery store should have cameras and they need back-up beepers.

I was standing in the Kroger check-out with this very large lady in front of me. Now, normally I don't get close to people but I only had a few things in my hand and I moved forward to allow the lady behind me to place her stuff on the conveyor belt. It was about that time when the fat lady stepped back after scanning her payment card and I started singing. I had an ingrown toenail on my big toe of the left foot at the time and when that nail pierced skin...!

I wanted to pull my foot out from beneath hers but I was afraid that I would topple the shelves as I was grabbing for them on the way down to the floor. She lurched forward and hit my broken collarbone with her elbow as I was grabbing the counter rail. That set off a new explosion of sensations and I darn near killed the lady who was behind me when I threw my arm up to protect me from getting any more damage.

The fat lady jumped forward and I was able to get my senses about me. I might have hurt the fat lady's feeling when I told her that she needed to warn somebody when she was backing up but, at that point, I really didn't care about anybody's feelings as lightning bolts were going off in my heads and spots were drifting in front of my eyes.

The fat lady left the store and I left shortly after that while carrying what I had in my good arm and limping on my bad foot. When I got to the door, I had to look around and make sure that she (the fat lady) was no where around. A fat lady like had had to be driving a big vehicle and I didn't want her backing over me again.

I got home and the wifey ask me what what wrong with me - I made the mistake of telling her.

Some hot water, some magnesium sulphate, and a very large pair of clippers took care of that ingrown toenail. I could not do anything about the collarbone but I'm just glad it wasn't my jaw that she hit; I would have been sucking on Gummi-Bears and slurping soup through a straw for some time had she nailed me in the jaw.

This lady made me a believer that if one is that large and buys more food - they need to walk home.

I would ride a bicycle to the store but my wifey won't let me get on a bicycle anymore.

Come on, fess up!  With a story like that your wifey won't let you go to the store anymore...at least not without a chaperone!

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 04:52:48 PM »
Sad, but true. I'll tell her that I am going to Wal-Mart. She will ask me what for. I tell her that I'll know when I get there. She asks what how long will I be. I tell her that when I return I will let her know how long I was. She asks me how much am I going to spend. I tell her I'll know when I spend it. That's when she says, "I'll drive." Works every time and I save a few gallons of gas in my vehicle.  ;D
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Tadrian

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
Sad, but true. I'll tell her that I am going to Wal-Mart. She will ask me what for. I tell her that I'll know when I get there. She asks what how long will I be. I tell her that when I return I will let her know how long I was. She asks me how much am I going to spend. I tell her I'll know when I spend it. That's when she says, "I'll drive."

Darned smart Liberal, that!