Author Topic: I State My Case!  (Read 1258 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
I State My Case!
« on: April 06, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
I had this problem of trying to find a suitable gun case for storing and transporting my Mosin Nagant Project. The rifle, named "Longshank", with its newly-installed scout scope mount from Brass Stacker set the scope a little higher than the previous, and inferior, scope mount. Also, since I have left the barrel its original length, and after mounting an ATI stock and Limbsaver recoil pad, the overall length of the rifle was beyond most gun cases (usually about 48" for a scoped rifle). I really, really, needed a good case for this rifle without cashing in my 401K. A search of the WWW ensued and I finally came across one that (I hoped) would fit my needs.

"Longshank" is now surrounded by the RedHead® 1856 Logo Canvas Scoped Shotgun Case with Pockets and Strap, which was available from Bass Pro Shops. Although intended for a scoped shotgun, the case fits my needs to a "T" and if you need a long case for a long and scoped rifle or shotgun, this case may fit your needs as well.

First, some statistics from Bass Pro Shops:

Heavy-duty cotton duck canvas case
    1856 Collection European skull-mount logo
    Open-cell protective foam
    Double-layer fabric handles
    Heavy-duty zippers for a lifetime of use
    Two pockets for storage
    1-1/2" webbed shoulder strap
    Works with even higher-objective optics installed

"Our 1856 Collection European skull-mount logo adorns this heavy-duty cotton duck canvas cases. Case features include open-cell protective foam, double-layer fabric handles that fully encircle the case, heavy-duty zippers for a lifetime of use, two pockets for storage, and a 1-1/2" webbed shoulder strap.  Scoped cases are large enough to protect firearms with even higher-objective optics installed.  Color: Camo. Length: 53". Imported." The RedHead® 1856 Logo Canvas Scoped Shotgun Case with Pockets and Strap was perfect for my scoped Mosin in its current configuration. The camo scheme is not a plus with me and I would prefer woodland over black (but sometimes you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need. Somebody should make a song with that phrase! Oh, wait! They already have.)

As you can tell from the photos, the side cases are large enough to carry an assortment of items. Dual zippers on the side pockets afford security for sundry items while the main zipper is heavy duty and should hold up for field use.

There is adequate room for "Longshank" at his 51" inch length from stem to stern with maybe an inch or so left over. Compared to the Bore Store that once held the rifle, this case is more than just a store; it is a mall. The I opted for a soft case over a hard case since my only traveling with this rifle is to the range and the cost of a hard case was prohibitive for me. I also liked that the case has a carrying strap with detachable and adjustable sling. It's nice to throw the case over the shoulder while carrying other gear. I am well satisfied with my choice. It is a quality product; albeit imported. 

I have several soft gun cases from BPS and they have held up well and protected the contents. Here is a link to the case, should you like to inquire on it some: http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-1856-Logo-Canvas-Scoped-Shotgun-Case-with-Pockets-and-Strap/product/40394000/
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.