Author Topic: Drawstroke drill modifications  (Read 931 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Drawstroke drill modifications
« on: April 02, 2013, 05:25:00 AM »
Most of us practice the drawstroke. All of us should. When we do practice the drawstroke, many or most of us start with our hands at our sides hanging naturally or perhaps we assume the classic 'surrender' position with our hands up around shoulder height or higher.

What I suggest here is to try some other starting places for your hands:

Laced on top of your head (this creates the most problems for me).
Clasped behind your back.
In your pockets.
Clasped in front at any level.
One hand under chin supported on the other arm, sometimes called the 'Jack Benny' position.
If you talk with your hands, start an imaginary conversation and initiate the draw from any point in that.

Get the idea? We won't always be in the 'standard' positions. We need to learn what happens when we're not. Dry practice is an excellent time to do that.

You can combine this with the '8 directions' concept for even more fun. :o
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

SARGeek

Re: Drawstroke drill modifications
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
Good idea CR!

The aspect (besides simple muscle memory) that strikes me about this is that we will often be in the middle of something when a problem occurs and if we've been practicing from all sorts of "doing things" positions it will not just build the muscle memory, it will reduce hesitation. Your body will not attempt to "go to the beginning" of your drill and you will not worry about what position you are in as you react.
SARGeek