Author Topic: Accelerate the Deceleration...  (Read 1232 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Accelerate the Deceleration...
« on: March 30, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »
...of recoil.

When I was younger I relished recoil. The more the recoil, the more manly I felt because I could take it and it was a sign that I had a "real" gun in my hands or mounted against my shoulder. Being older and having gained in wisdom and lost in testosterone, I find that the only relish I have is that on my hot dog or burger. Having broken a collar bone in numerous places also has diminished the need for heavy recoil. I still love heavy recoiling firearms, but I don't manage the recoil very well any more. Enter the recoil pad.

I had been looking for a good recoil pad for my Mosin Nagant outfitted with an ATI stock and decided to try the Packmayr Decelerator Slip-On recoil pad for giggles and tee-hee's. As the manufacturer states, "The fastest mounting slip-on at the range or in the field" is a truism. The pad popped right over the butt of the ATI stock and actually looks at home there, considering the most slip-on recoil pads look like a truck tire mounted on a Volkswagen.

The "small" Packmayr Decelerator Slip-On recoil pad fits an array of rifles and shotguns including Marlin 336, Mossberg 500, Remington 870 and Savage 110 among others. Be sure to look up the size chart to fit which products fits your firearm. Aside from looking good when mounted; it has a stylish curve to it, the recoil pad actually works. The Mosin Nagant rifle went from a slam to a gentle push when outfitted with this pad even when fired from a bench rest position. Less recoil also equates to a lesser tendency to flinch and a greater tendency to get back on target quickly.

As with most recoil pads, it does add some length to the LOP of your firearm. If you have long arms, as I do, this is a added benefit to the less perceived recoil when the hammer falls.

Do yourself a favor, even if you have lots of testosterone, try this pad out on that high-recoiling long-gun that you have and feel like you could expend ammunition all day..

Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.

pop pop

Re: Accelerate the Deceleration...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:16:08 AM »
I purchased one of the slip over pads, at Wal Mart, for my 12 Ga Mossey. I extended the length of pull about 1," but didn't bother me much. I too have become a fan of less recoil, although I am not real recoil sencsative. Just comes with entering the age, and neck surgery(2 times), arena I suppose. I like the recoil pad. It reduces the felt recoil.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:41:37 PM by pop pop »