Author Topic: Federal switchblade act?  (Read 2979 times)

DroidGeorge

• George
Federal switchblade act?
« on: March 07, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
Most of us check our state and local laws before we buy pocket knives.  Any have any experience with the federal,  in particular auto knifes ?

George

Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to.

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
Re: Federal switchblade act?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 03:50:12 PM »
Are you referring to automatic assault knives or just the semi-auto ones?  ;)
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

topowell

• North-Central MO
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 05:57:13 PM »
As long as it has less than ten blades I think it's okay!  (Sorry, DroidGeorge, couldn't resist.  I blame Commonground for starting it!)

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
I thought that he was joking about auto knives.  I had never heard that term before.  Is that what they call switchblades?  ???
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

mustang125

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »
It is all state law from what I have read. The difference between switch blades and auto knives is in some states is auto knifes open like a normal folder except when you push a button the blade comes out. A switch blade the blade comes strait out at the push of a button. A full auto knife they blade keeps coming out till the button is released. I don't have any full auto knifes. :-)

flyover

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:04:12 AM »
Wasn’t there a Soviet military knife that was banned years ago? If memory serves, the knife blade was held under spring compression and pushing  button would launch the blade a few feet.

You could own everything but the launching spring as I recall.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »
Wasn’t there a Soviet military knife that was banned years ago? If memory serves, the knife blade was held under spring compression and pushing  button would launch the blade a few feet.

You could own everything but the launching spring as I recall.

I remember hearing something like that, some time back.
Since a knife "in the hand" is the only place it's really worth anything, then I eschew throwing them or otherwise allowing the business end to get away from me.
That's probably why it didn't stick in memory too much.  It didn't matter to my little noggin at the time.  Still doesn't, I guess.  I shall keep my knife in my hand if at all possible.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

DroidGeorge

• George
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »
Spyderco,  with their embassy auto knife requires you sign a form which it refers to under title 18, federal switchblade act.  Only military and sworn officers are supposed legal with one.  Spiderco will not sell directly without a signed affidavit.  Some retailers might. It is a full auto push the button.

George

mustang125

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 07:18:05 PM »
I have a Benchmade that will open if the button is pushed. It will go clean thru a piece of double wall cardboard were most knives stop. I prefer me Benchmade assisted open but it opens very fast also but can be opened slowly if asked to open it.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 10:39:20 AM »
Yes, the Russians made a "Ballistic" knife. You can read about the history of the "Ballistic Knife" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_knife. "Federal law does not prohibit the possession, manufacture, or sale of a ballistic knife within a state's boundaries, and the individual laws of each state or territory must be consulted to determine whether possession, manufacture, or sale within a given state is legal (many states have statutes that regulate or prohibit the acquisition and/or possession of ballistic knives, and penalties vary from state to state)."

The ballistic knife was capable of launching a blade more than just a few feet, more like several meters.

The switchblade is outlawed for carry in most states. In some states, switchblade knives are illegal to own.

The stiletto-style blade was also made as a switchblade. OTF knives were commonly made to the stiletto design and became commonly called "Stilettos", although this was a blade design and not the operation of a knife. Stiletto knives were commonly associated with Italians, possibly since the stiletto design is of Italian origin.

The OTF knife (Open from the front) is also called a "sliding" knife or a "Telescoping" knife, which may also be of stiletto design. This was not the knife to carry if you liked to fumble around in your pockets.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »
The enemy's reply to an attack by a thrown knife: "Thank you so much, for the very useful weapon that I didn't previously have."

I have learned that, at any appreciable distance, a thrown knife is pretty easy to avoid.
Try it some time, by having a friend throw a dull and un-pointed knife shape at you.

(However, not having the requisite direct experience, I can't say the same for a "ballistic knife.")
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

DroidGeorge

• George
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »
Well,  it's not shooting anything - just a folder with a safety lock and a push button which swings the 3. 13 inch,  saber cut blade open and locks it faster than you can see.

Sounded like a good companion carry with concealed carry,  if I had one.  But not looking for a serious beat down if I was seen carrying one.

George