Author Topic: Best buys for reloaders  (Read 3251 times)

Glennrae

Best buys for reloaders
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:52:43 AM »
We all get into to reloading for various reasons. But many of us are driven to reloading as a way to reduce the cost per round. Notice I did not say to save money. These two horses do not go in the same barn!
We would like hear from some of the reloaders out there as to where you find the best buys (along with the best results) for your reloading supplies? Let us know.

Here is one I have found that looks promising.

http://www.missouribullet.com/index.php
Glennrae

NRA
GOA
SDGO

Glock 23
Kahr CW9
Ruger SR22
Ruger GP100
Marlin 1894C
Ruger LCR 38
1858 Remington New Army Revolver

Bikes, bullets, bluegrass and BBQ!

RacerRon

Re: Best buys for reloaders
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »
This is the best bullet source I have found so far

http://www.precisiondelta.com/

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 04:16:46 PM »
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

DangeRuss

• MCRGO
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 05:24:01 PM »
I would like to start reloading for my .45 and .357 mag but the funds just are not there at this time.
But it looks like you all have the sites all listed for me should I get started. I have bought from Midway and like there company and service. Hell they have just about everything needed to start.

Russ
"In God we trust All others pay cash"
Member of
NRA
GOA
MCRGO
SAF
Member ACLDN

Glennrae

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »
Here is a handy cost calculator for reloading calculations.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

I just reloaded 200 rounds of 9mm this afternoon. My total cost came out $5.65/50 rounds. Those same rounds will cost me about $12 at Walmart. I did pick up a few boxes of live ammo for just under $10 at Cabelas this fall. On sale. So there are some nice saving even on loading 9mm these days. Even more savings on .40, .38 and .357. The initial cost goes up to load those. But the savings are much greater.
But as we say. We don't end up with more $$$ is our pockets. Just more lead down range ;D
Glennrae

NRA
GOA
SDGO

Glock 23
Kahr CW9
Ruger SR22
Ruger GP100
Marlin 1894C
Ruger LCR 38
1858 Remington New Army Revolver

Bikes, bullets, bluegrass and BBQ!

SARGeek

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:38:58 PM »
That's a cool calculator Glennrae! Thanks.

In addition to the sites mentioned, Sportsman's Warehouse has some deals if you look for the sales. Normal prices aren't terrible but you can typically do better online.

One item I often buy smaller quantities of in person is powder. Primers too as I most often find that they are very close in price to online many places. Shipping for hazardous materials tends to get expensive.
SARGeek

Para Driver

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »
http://www.3lees.com/
This is the guy I have been using for years. Great guy and straight shooter out of Grand Island NE. I have not found anyone cheaper because I place an order a couple months before our big gun show here in Eastern South Dakota in Feb. He then puts my order together and brings it with him because he always sets up at the show. Then I don't have to pay shipping.

Coastie

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
http://www.3lees.com/
This is the guy I have been using for years. Great guy and straight shooter out of Grand Island NE. I have not found anyone cheaper because I place an order a couple months before our big gun show here in Eastern South Dakota in Feb. He then puts my order together and brings it with him because he always sets up at the show. Then I don't have to pay shipping.

Now that's how you win 'steady' customers!  This guy apparently has his business mind on!  :)

Walkafire

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »
I have been using a RCBS single stage press for years....
But I am going to get me a "New Year's" present this year...
A Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press.  Will come in handy for Pistol loads.
Single Stage will remain to be my Rifle load choice of press's.

Here's  a shot of me hand priming some .45 ACP   

Now you can see why I want to switch over to the progressive press.

WALK
NRA Certified Instructor

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
Wyatt Earp

hogcowboy

• Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »
I went to a progressive too but continue to use the single stage for load development.  It's just easier to make  five for testing than to do it using the progressive.  Works for me anyway.

RSMorgan

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »
One of the "best bargains" for reloaders is getting a Curio and Relic (C&R) FFL. Not everyone gives a discount for an "03 FFL" but quite a few do, including Lee, Midway and Grafs. Cost is a very modest $30 for a three-year licence and the paperwork isn't all that complex. I figure I cover the cost of my FFL in one or two large orders from Midway, to say nothing of being able to "buy guns by mail" as the advertisement in Shotgun News trumpets.

RSM
The truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Coastie

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »
One of the "best bargains" for reloaders is getting a Curio and Relic (C&R) FFL. Not everyone gives a discount for an "03 FFL" but quite a few do, including Lee, Midway and Grafs. Cost is a very modest $30 for a three-year licence and the paperwork isn't all that complex. I figure I cover the cost of my FFL in one or two large orders from Midway, to say nothing of being able to "buy guns by mail" as the advertisement in Shotgun News trumpets.

RSM

+1 on the Curio and relic FFL...at least they haven't soared to $100 per year.  I think the Class III license is $300 (or was)...always did like Shotgun News...  :)

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:46:05 AM »
Here's a few links I keep my eyes on when needing supplies:

www.midwayusa.com/

www.natchezss.com/

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

www.precisionreloading.com/

www.dillonprecision.com/

www.ableammo.com/

Thanks for the links!  I'm going to take the plunge later this summer and get into reloading the brass I've been saving for a couple of years now.  I'm excited about the possibilities for "specialty" rounds!  Gives me goose bumps! ::)
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

tomtsr

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »
I get my bullets from www.precisiondelta.com.  I only shoot jacketed and they are the best I have found.
Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

Unashamedly an American Patriot

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
www.milehighhandgun.com