Author Topic: Kielbasa and Pear Stew  (Read 1472 times)

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Kielbasa and Pear Stew
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:22:18 PM »
Kielbasa and Pear Stew is a one-pot dish best suited for really cold nights.
Although half of my family is of Polish origins, this is not an old family recipe. It's just a typical Polish or Hungarian way of mixing cheap meat and fruit. I found it, a long time ago, in the food columns of the Los Angeles Times.
Jean, who is a picky and finicky eater, really likes it. If she will eat it, almost everybody will enjoy it.

I normally make it with two kielbasas, because we like lots of leftovers. But one sausage will feed as many as six people, depending upon their appetites.
This recipe is for one kielbasa. Just double it for two.

1 Kielbasa, cut crosswise into four or six cylindrical pieces.
2 Bosc (hard, brown) pears, quartered lengthwise and cored, but not peeled.
3 New potatoes, scrubbed, de-eyed, and quartered, but not peeled.
1/2 Very large onion, halved lengthwise so that it will come apart as it cooks.
1/4 Tsp. ground black pepper.
1 Tbs. chopped freeze-dried parsley (or 2 tbs. chopped fresh parsley leaves).
3 Tbs. honey.

Put sausage, onion, and potatoes in a large pot, add water to more than cover, add pepper and parsley, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add honey, and simmer until the potatoes begin to get soft—at least 1/2 hour, or more. Add pears and continue simmering until they just begin to soften—perhaps 10 or 15 minutes, maybe less.
Adjust pepper and honey: You should not distinctly taste pepper, but you should taste sweet honey and pear. You probably will not have to add salt, but it's OK if you do.
Serve in large soup plates. Each person gets a chunk of kielbasa, at least two pieces of potato, and at least one piece of pear, all covered in liquid. See of you can add some onion from the bottom, too.
Serve with Beaver brand "deli mustard"—the kind with whole mustard seeds in it—on the side. (I like to mix some of the mustard into the soup. Jean can't stand it that way.)

If you re-heat the leftovers, the pears will begin to fall apart. That's OK—they just become part of the soup. I mash the pears, and I cut the sausage and potatoes up into small chunks, so the whole thing becomes much more soup-like.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

pop pop

Re: Kielbasa and Pear Stew
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 05:28:41 AM »
I will make some soon. We are having a cold snap right now. Be good for tonight. Thanks.