Author Topic: reloading and chronographs  (Read 2470 times)

Glennrae

reloading and chronographs
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:25:34 PM »
I am just getting into reloading. Mainly to cheapen up my practice ammo. The other reason is I am an absolute gadget nut! If it moves, goes bang or burns gas....I am all over it!! ;D
I am just wondering who out there uses a shooting chrony?
Glennrae

NRA
GOA
SDGO

Glock 23
Kahr CW9
Ruger SR22
Ruger GP100
Marlin 1894C
Ruger LCR 38
1858 Remington New Army Revolver

Bikes, bullets, bluegrass and BBQ!

Coastie

Re: reloading and chronographs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »

Greetings:
Welcome, we're glad that you've found this free forum, it's spam-free.   Not only that but you will find just about everything you need in CC'ing.  If you don't please put your request on the Wish List board and we Mods will see what  we can do about fixing that.

To personalize your account, please visit the "How to do this, that and the other" board.  There you will find 11 different topics that will assist you.

I'm from NE Washington (state).

Glad to see you came on over...:)  Hope you have a great day!

Shoot2Stop

• Have Gun will Soon Travel
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »
Welcome.

I have a shooting chrony, actually two of them.  One without a bullet hole in it. ;)

I fear not a whit for myself, but I fear to the bottom of my soul for my county's future. -S2S
If you think George Washington would disagree with you, you're probably on the wrong side.

NRA & GOA Lifer. Constitutional Extremist

Coastie

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
Welcome.

I have a shooting chrony, actually two of them.  One without a bullet hole in it. ;)

Hmmm ::)  Did you get upset at that one?   :o

RacerRon

Re: Re: reloading and chronographs
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »
I am just getting into reloading. Mainly to cheapen up my practice ammo. The other reason is I am an absolute gadget nut! If it moves, goes bang or burns gas....I am all over it!! ;D

I reload and use a Chrony brand Alpha with remote display. So far it works great. As mentioned above,  be sure not to shoot it. ;)
I also am a gearhead and love exploding ,burning, and fast moving things.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Walkafire

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »

I used that same excuse some time ago for Reloading... ha ha ha  "save money"
Now I just SHOOT MORE!!!  Oh well, just means I have MORE fun!  ;D
I have never used a chrony... maybe someday.

WALK
NRA Certified Instructor

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
Wyatt Earp

CATM93

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:53:19 PM »
Do not have a Chrony brand , but I do use my Oehler Model 33 in load development and testing.  They are great to determine how far you should go when developing loads for non-standard weight bullets.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »
There are at least 6 or 7 chronographs owners in my club and I find that there is always someone bringing one to a match. They usually do their testing after the set up or after the match. Thus I check my loads when they are finished.
Since I only load 45 ACP and 30-30 my needs are limited but this works for me.
I decided right at the beginning that I was reloading to save money so I am limiting myself on purpose . . . . . Saving money that way.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 04:21:06 PM »
I've had a chronograph for years.  Didn't need it so much when I was making pistol caliber target ammo but it became a real asset when I started loading specific hunting loads.  I'm a mess now when I go to our big range: guns, ammo, targets, spotting scope, lead sled, chronograph, computer and notebooks.  It's an all day party.
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

Para Driver

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
So far I load for four pistol and four rifle cartridges and have gotten by without one because I don't compete, so I don't have to worry about power factor. My approach to rifle reloads are to just start out low with a couple powders and work up till I get good accuracy with one powder and stop there. All three of my .270 Win rifles are capable of sub MOA with the same reload, so I don't feel the need to go any further. My .223 reloads for my ARs are all capable of sub-MOA also and I have about five of those loads. By the reloading tables, I can tell roughly what the MV is, so I can figure my bullet drop for certain ranges. Most of my pistol reloading is for training and plinking, so I use as much powder is needed to cycle the action reliably and stop. I see no need to batter me or the gun by going any further.