Author Topic: What Condition Should I Carry In?  (Read 4721 times)

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
What Condition Should I Carry In?
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:54:49 PM »
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: What Condition Should I Carry In?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »
To your question, "What condition should I carry in?" I would have to reply, "Sober!"
...or "Alert!"
...or "Awake!"
...or "Without ending in a preposition!"  ;D

To quote Sir Winston Churchill, "Up with this, I will not put!"
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 04:04:28 AM »
I was going to correct the grammar but..........I decided to leave their title as it was. 

A common one around here is, "Where is it at?"  Of course here in Pennsyvania Dutch country you "Throw the horse over the fence some hay" or "Throw me down the stairs my hat".  Just for the record, the second one is easier than the first.  My horses each weigh about 1000 pounds.

I like your add-ons though Steve   ;)
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
A Yiddishism: "Throw momma from the train a kiss."

Yiddish and Pennsylvania Deutsch have a lot in common.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 03:08:37 PM »
What condition?
Ask yourself some questions before deciding about "what condition."

Can I carry a gun undetected?
Am I willing to carry a gun undetected?
If I carry a gun, am I able to use that gun effectively in most conceivable circumstances?
Can I use a gun against the most formidable foes I can imagine?
If I use a gun in defense of self, or in defense of other people, will I hit my intended targets, and nothing else?
Am I good enough with my primary carry piece to engage targets while under extreme duress?
Am I willing to kill a deadly threat with my gun?

...and finally...

If I am surprised by one or more trained, motivated, and angry thugs with guns...what "condition" do I WANT my carry piece to be in when it happens?

(See?  No preposition at the end!)

Personally, I want one under the hammer at all times.
When I carried a 1911, I kept one chambered, hammer back, and side safety "on" regardless of which holster I used.

Since I became a revolver buff, I keep the cylinder full.
Thanks to 2 DAO revolvers, and the hammer block safety on the .44mag, I can keep all cylinders full without much fear of an accidental discharge from any of them.

Professional Driver on a closed course.  Do not attempt.
Your results may vary.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Spenson1981

• USAF Missile Maint.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »
What condition?
Ask yourself some questions before deciding about "what condition."

Can I carry a gun undetected?
Am I willing to carry a gun undetected?
If I carry a gun, am I able to use that gun effectively in most conceivable circumstances?
Can I use a gun against the most formidable foes I can imagine?
If I use a gun in defense of self, or in defense of other people, will I hit my intended targets, and nothing else?
Am I good enough with my primary carry piece to engage targets while under extreme duress?
Am I willing to kill a deadly threat with my gun?

...and finally...

If I am surprised by one or more trained, motivated, and angry thugs with guns...what "condition" do I WANT my carry piece to be in when it happens?

(See?  No preposition at the end!)

Personally, I want one under the hammer at all times.
When I carried a 1911, I kept one chambered, hammer back, and side safety "on" regardless of which holster I used.

Since I became a revolver buff, I keep the cylinder full.
Thanks to 2 DAO revolvers, and the hammer block safety on the .44mag, I can keep all cylinders full without much fear of an accidental discharge from any of them.

Professional Driver on a closed course.  Do not attempt.
Your results may vary.

What a great answer, good questions to ask, thought provoking.  Thank you for the response.  Honestly, this type of info is why I read these forums!

RezDuane

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:41:28 AM »
Depends on where you are at . . .
 :o
TMS&ISTI
*NRA Life Member
*Viet Nam Vet (USN)
*Ham (The radio kind)
*Recovered Hippy

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, So help me God." 1/30/64

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »
If my old website, www.gethomeafter.com, is still up, I believe I still have a set of videos that discuss and illustrate the unchambered carry condition and the reasons I don't recommend it here. It includes a shot-time test. I also have a section in my book that goes over the same material.

Eventually, I will produce a new video on this subject for the new website.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:46:04 AM »
With the proper training and mind set, I believe I'll carry in condition 1, But thats for me. On how you should carry?, That will have to be decided by you, Only you know your level of ability, and comfortability.  on the term "condition 1", incase you are wondering?, It means full mag. one in the chamber, Hammer pulled back(if your firearm has a external hammer)
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

SARGeek

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »
Don't forget that Condition one does include the safety set to the "safe" position on guns that have a manual safety (1911, et al.) For Glocks, XD's, M&P, etc that have safeties that only require proper grip and so forth, Condition 1 is commonly considered having a full mag + one in the chamber.

It is a common point of argument in gun carrying circles. I fall into the "carry in condition 1" crowd myself. This is simply because anything that requires racking the slide is going to take time I very well may not have when I need to use the gun. That said, I consider a good holster a corollary of carrying in condition 1 both for ease of access and for safety.
SARGeek

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »
Don't forget that Condition one does include the safety set to the "safe" position on guns that have a manual safety (1911, et al.) For Glocks, XD's, M&P, etc that have safeties that only require proper grip and so forth, Condition 1 is commonly considered having a full mag + one in the chamber.

It is a common point of argument in gun carrying circles. I fall into the "carry in condition 1" crowd myself. This is simply because anything that requires racking the slide is going to take time I very well may not have when I need to use the gun. That said, I consider a good holster a corollary of carrying in condition 1 both for ease of access and for safety.

Thanks for adding this point, I also should have mentioned on having a good holster...  This is why two heads are better than one.
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

SARGeek

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »
Glad to help.

"I have two heads?! That is why I keep arguing with myself!"   :o
SARGeek

jtg452

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 12:56:37 PM »
I prefer to carry a loaded gun for self defense and I define 'loaded' as "ready to fire after any safeties that are active are disengaged".  That means there has to be a round in the chamber because a gun won't fire without a round in the chamber.  While in legal circles it may be considered 'loaded', a semi auto with ammunition only in the magazine, but nothing chambered, is not going to fire.  If I ever need a firearm in a self defense situation, I am going to need it right then and there, not after I get done fiddling with it.

An unloaded gun in a self defense situation is nothing more than a very short club or a very awkward- and expensive- hand thrown projectile.  If I were to even consider carrying an unloaded gun, I'd choose to carry something easier to throw- like half of a brick.  It's easier to carry, innocuous enough that no one is going to freak out just seeing it, far cheaper (how many whole bricks can you get for the price of your preferred concealed carry piece?), much easier to throw with some level of accuracy and, if thrown hard enough, can do some pretty serious damage.

LEJoe

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 05:14:18 AM »
Also, if I may point out, half bricks are alot easier to get through airport security. Of course Joe Biden says all I need is TWO half bricks.

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 05:23:08 AM »
He's a couple bricks shy of a load.   ;D

jtg452

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »
Also, if I may point out, half bricks are alot easier to get through airport security. Of course Joe Biden says all I need is TWO half bricks.

And think about it, you can buy them across state lines!  You don't have to go to a Federal Brick Licensed dealer to buy them new!  I doubt that even IL, NY and CA have even thought of controlling them- yet.

LEJoe

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD TROWELL!

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 04:03:57 AM »
I'm can envision carrying a full brick concealed in an appendix holster.   ???

jtg452

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
I'm can envision carrying a full brick concealed in an appendix holster.   ???

If you contact Hezbollah or Fatah, they probably can hook you up with their brick holster maker.  Lord knows he's done a lot of business in Gaza and the West Bank over the last couple decades.

Personally, I'd save the whole ones for open carry- unless you feel the need to compensate or something. ;D

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
Carry like your life depends on it.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.