Author Topic: Mom's Turkey Dressing  (Read 1550 times)

Charles1951

Mom's Turkey Dressing
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:55:41 AM »
Title: Mom's Turkey Dressing

Description:
Mom hand wrote this recipe for me. I almost lost the paper she gave me. So here it is. Famous Rhea turkey dressing. I will not lose it now.

Ingredients:
2/3 of a 13" pan of cooked cornbread, crumbled
(We all know what happened to the other 1/3 of a pan of cornbread when Dad was around :-) )
7 or 8 slices of toast
3 eggs
1-1/2 bunches of green onions and about the same celery, diced
turkey or chicken broth - just guess on amount but lots of it
salt and pepper

Directions:
Pre-boil or microwave green onions & celery in broth
First mix enough turkey or chicken broth to be able to stir everything together. After putting into the pan or pans to cook, pour more broth over the dressing (a generous amount) *I don't smooth it down in the pan so it will hold more broth.

Cook at 375 degrees, covered for about 30 minutes then uncovered 15 minutes. Check for doneness - it may need extra cooking time.

Mom's notes about the broth:
I get a package of chicken wings or necks to cook ahead of time for the broth. I use a little canned broth if necessary and the turkey broth from cooking the neck separately. Cook giblets with turkey neck if desired.

Number Of Servings: Who knows but we never ran out the first day.

Preparation Time: With all the precooking Mom did - hours
Charles

-Texas CHL-*-USAF retired-*-Oath Keeper-*-American Legion-*-NRA-*-IDPA-

============================================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

pstan13

Re: Mom's Turkey Dressing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:01:48 AM »
Sounds delicious! There are only a couple more days until Thanksgiving. Let me be the first to wish you and everyone on Gun Toters a Happy Thanksgiving!!! ;D
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
Title: Mom's Turkey Dressing

Description:
Mom hand wrote this recipe for me. I almost lost the paper she gave me. So here it is. Famous Rhea turkey dressing. I will not lose it now.

Ingredients:
2/3 of a 13" pan of cooked cornbread, crumbled
(We all know what happened to the other 1/3 of a pan of cornbread when Dad was around :-) )
7 or 8 slices of toast
3 eggs
1-1/2 bunches of green onions and about the same celery, diced
turkey or chicken broth - just guess on amount but lots of it
salt and pepper

Directions:
Pre-boil or microwave green onions & celery in broth
First mix enough turkey or chicken broth to be able to stir everything together. After putting into the pan or pans to cook, pour more broth over the dressing (a generous amount) *I don't smooth it down in the pan so it will hold more broth.

Cook at 375 degrees, covered for about 30 minutes then uncovered 15 minutes. Check for doneness - it may need extra cooking time.

Mom's notes about the broth:
I get a package of chicken wings or necks to cook ahead of time for the broth. I use a little canned broth if necessary and the turkey broth from cooking the neck separately. Cook giblets with turkey neck if desired.

Number Of Servings: Who knows but we never ran out the first day.

Preparation Time: With all the precooking Mom did - hours

how many people ate this?
Time will tell.

Charles1951

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
how many people ate this?

Thanks for asking. Usually it was our family of 5. If having extended family or later with spouses and kids the recipe was doubled or tripled. If that happened my Dad would be in hog heaven with all the cornbread. This recipe was written on a recipe card and I just had fun with some of the categories pre-printed on the card because I didn't know the real answer.

Being this time of year I hope this will be helpful to some. I'm almost sure my Mom added spices that never made it to the written card. In fact sage is often a spice used in dressing. Feel free to season to taste.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Charles

-Texas CHL-*-USAF retired-*-Oath Keeper-*-American Legion-*-NRA-*-IDPA-

============================================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson