Author Topic: Haasenpfeffer  (Read 2357 times)

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Haasenpfeffer
« on: November 18, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »
Haasenpfeffer:
Skin and gut the rabbit, and take it apart (you could even bone it). Put all of the meat into a glass container (a Pyrex dish or a jar) and cover it all with a liquid made of equal parts of white vinegar and water. Add at least one sliced onion (more is better), salt and pepper (whole peppercorns are good), bay leaves, and cloves. Let it stand, covered, in the 'fridge for two days.
Fry two or three pieces of good bacon. Leave the fat in the pan, but set the bacon aside. Remove the rabbit meat from its marinade, and brown it in the bacon fat, turning it often. (I roll the meat in cornmeal first, but that's not really the German way.) Chop up the bacon.
Add the marinade, including the onion slices—but discarding the bay leaves and cloves—a little at a time to the browned and cooking rabbit meat. Stir in the chopped bacon. The sauce should reduce and thicken as it all cooks, so you probably don't need to add all of the marinade to the cooking rabbit. Simmer for about a half-hour, until the rabbit meat is tender.
My maternal grandmother would then add one cup of thick sour cream to the sauce, and stir it in. (I don't always do this.) Now it's ready to serve.
I usually serve it with boiled-and-buttered wide noodles.

Tell me whether you like this dish.
I do, but Jean doesn't. This is strange because Jean comes from an echt-Deutsch family, whereas I come from Russian/Polish/Austrian stock.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
Re: Haasenpfeffer
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 05:25:21 PM »
thank you for the recipe.
Robert
Time will tell.

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
    • Co-admin of rolepayingtips.com
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
It's sounds like an excellent recipe, next time I have a chance to hunt a few rabbit I'll be sure to give it a try!  8)

(On a side note I wonder how well it would work with game bird meat?)
"Lead by example or get out of the way."

25 years of firearms experience, 2 years Army National Guard service, CCing for 1 & 1/2 years and counting.

Member of :
Pink Pistols ( http://pinkpistols.org/ )
Second Amendment Sisters ( http://www.2asisters.org/ )

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:05:23 PM »
...(On a side note I wonder how well it would work with game bird meat?)
I dunno, but I do know that it works with beef: It makes sauerbraten (if you leave out the cornmeal and the sour cream, and use a lot less bacon fat).

Shall we end this subversive hijacking now? Hmmm: Maybe we need a recipe board.  ;)
Steve,

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
    • Co-admin of rolepayingtips.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »
Maybe we need a recipe board.  ;)

An yay shall history remember thee as the inspiration behindthe forums recipe board, and all the tasty goodness that doth follow be a direct result of your world changing words..  :P
"Lead by example or get out of the way."

25 years of firearms experience, 2 years Army National Guard service, CCing for 1 & 1/2 years and counting.

Member of :
Pink Pistols ( http://pinkpistols.org/ )
Second Amendment Sisters ( http://www.2asisters.org/ )

rdpG19

• Some of my Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:55:59 AM »
Grew up on Rabbit, Chicken and Meatloaf, love rabbit, might just give it a try.  Thanks
US Navy Veteren
Ruger SP 101 357 3" Barrel
Glock 19 Gen3
Taurus 65 357 mag
Walther PK 380

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:00:02 AM »
Grew up on a farm ..... ate anything & everything, except, your know.
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

Coastie

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:20:32 AM »
Of course one has to live in an area where wabbit are abundant ..unless you want to start raising them...in S. CA, as well as NV and other areas (AZ, NM, TX, OK (and the like) rabbit run (free) so to speak...but I've known friends who have raised them in the past. 

Get them now while they're (inexpensive)...

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »
I raised rabbits as a kid and we raised rabbits when our kids were growing up.  Over the years we ate a lot of fried rabbit with milk gravy, Hm-um!  One day, when we still had the rabbitry, a young couple came to visit and wanted to see our rabbits.  We took to the rabbitry and took a young bunny out of one of the cages and showed the young lady how to hold it and then handed it to her.  She sat on the ground with the bunny in her lap and petted it for a while and then asked, "What do you do with all of the bunnies?"  My wife casually stated that, we put most of them in the freezer.  After a moment of silence the young lady said in a very simple way, "Don't they get cold in there?"
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
We buy an annual lamb from the farm across the street.
I was there, picking up the box of frozen lamb cuts, when another, new-to-the-island customer asked the farmer's wife how she could be so matter-of-fact about the dead lambs.
Her reply: "Our sheep and lambs have happy, well-fed, comfortable lives out in the free range, on an island with no predators at all. They each just have one bad day."
Steve,