Author Topic: What is the difference between a bullet, and a round, or cartridge?  (Read 29530 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
excellent
I will start asking questions if I may.
What is the difference between a bullet and a round or cartage?
I was incorrect in my usage of the terms ages ago and you defined that for me.
maybe this would help others as they start out exploring the world of guns.
thanks
Robert

(Mod note: I moved the question into it's own thread so as not to clutter the welcome thread and make for easier reference for people down the road.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:12:34 PM by Silveressa »
Time will tell.

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
    • Co-admin of rolepayingtips.com
Re: What is the difference between a bullet, and a round, or cartridge?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »
The term cartridge or "round" is most commonly used in reference to the complete package of bullet, casing, powder/propellant,  rim and primer that makes up the ammunition a firearm shoots. (I.E "How many rounds a specific make and model magazine will hold.")

The "bullet" is the solid projectile (often comprised of lead coated in metal) propelled from the end of the cartridge when the gun is fired.

For ease of reference:

1. the bullet, as the projectile;
2. the case, which holds all parts together;
3. the propellant, for example gunpowder or cordite;
4. the rim, which provides the extractor on the firearm a place to grip the casing to remove it from the chamber once fired;
5. the primer, which ignites the propellant.
"Lead by example or get out of the way."

25 years of firearms experience, 2 years Army National Guard service, CCing for 1 & 1/2 years and counting.

Member of :
Pink Pistols ( http://pinkpistols.org/ )
Second Amendment Sisters ( http://www.2asisters.org/ )

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
Thank you.
So I want to buy something to fire from my gun.
I don't want to ask for bullets since they are only apart of the whole.
What is the proper term to use when asking for bullets for my gun?
Lets say I have a 45 cal pistol  and a 22 long rifle.
thanks
Robert
Time will tell.

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:30:56 PM »
Often one is best off asking for a box of ammunition, and being sure to clarify the caliber they are after. (I.E "I want a Box of .45 caliber ammunition and a box of .22 Long Rifle ammunition.")

Individually the pistol or rifle cartridges are often referred by the slang of "rounds," (I.E: "I need to buy  some more rounds for my handgun after spending all day shooting at the range.")

When referring to shotgun ammunition however, the slang term "shell" is often mistakenly used, (I.E "How many shotgun shells do you have left?") mostly because a shotgun casing is comprised of a plastic shell as opposed to the brass casing of pistol and rifle cartridges.

25 years of firearms experience, 2 years Army National Guard service, CCing for 1 & 1/2 years and counting.

Member of :

Charles1951

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »
If you want to be less formal, the slang term "ammo" would be more correct than "bullets" when speaking of a collection of cartridges. For instance: A standard box of pistol ammo holds 50 rounds. While there is nothing wrong with the term "cartridges", it is somewhat archaic and seldom used except when another word is less descriptive as in my first sentence.
Charles

-Texas CHL-*-USAF retired-*-Oath Keeper-*-American Legion-*-NRA-*-IDPA-

============================================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 01:32:27 PM »
It's really quite simple.  The bullet is the thing you bite when the Doc is digging for a projectile, which was fired from a gun, and is lodged in your shoulder.  A round is the last thing you ask for before they turn out the lights in the bar.  Also great to have when the doctor digs out a projectile.  A cartridge is filled with ink and if you don't get it seated properly in the pen or forget the lid, it will leak and make the front of your shirt the same color as the ink.  Ammunition is what weighs you down when you go hunting because you usually carry enough to sink the Titanic.   ???
ôdo not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.ö - Gabe Suarez

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »
From now on, when a really difficult-to-answer question comes in, we will let commonground answer it.
He will be the default go-to.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prŠparet bellum."

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. The devil made me do it. I shall be more serious and reserved in the future.   CG 
ôdo not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.ö - Gabe Suarez

LEJoe

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. The devil made me do it.  I shall be more serious and reserved in the future.   CG

Why in the hell would you want to do that? ;)

mustang125

What is the difference between a bullet, and a round, or cartridge?
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 06:00:43 PM »
What is that thing you are drinking that says MTN Dew on it? Is it a Coke or maybe it is a soda? Were I am from it is a pop. This is the same type of discussion I my opinion. 

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
What is that thing you are drinking that says MTN Dew on it? Is it a Coke or maybe it is a soda? Were I am from it is a pop. This is the same type of discussion I my opinion. 
many basic questions will be in this vein.
we all have to start some where.
in your opinion what is a good basic question that a new gun owner may not know but would be useful to know?
start a new topic in this board and ask the question. It will be helpful.
thanks
Robert
Time will tell.

mustang125

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
No problem! The new gun owner should read the sticky on acronyms.

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
No problem! The new gun owner should read the sticky on acronyms.
agreed that is a good place to start. Here is the link for the info he is referring to. http://guntoters.com/index.php/topic,325.0.html

read it and if you have any question please feel free to ask.

thanks
Robert
Time will tell.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »

Writing as the Moderator of this board, I gotta observe that this is exactly what I do not want to happen.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, should ever be written here which could even peripherally be construed as discouraging somebody new to shooting and self-defense from asking any question.

You may feel that a person's question is just too elementary, or the discussion he opens is nonsensical, but the rank beginner can't possibly know that until his question has been asked and answered, or his discussion has been indulged.

Do not disparage any beginner's question. Just do your best to answer it, or to supply a direction toward a useful answer.
Steve,

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 05:17:55 AM »
Not only that, but often times I find it very interesting to hear various ways to explain what many of us have long since taken for "common knowledge".  There's always more than one way to explain an apple, for instance!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 05:36:07 AM »

Maybe not. If you're not cognizant of the difference and go into a place the sells reloading components as well as ammunition and ask for bullets, they might well hand you a box of bullets for reloading into casings. Also, the more knowledgeable and accurate you are or can be in conversation and questions at a store, the more likely it is that you will get what you ask for and the less likely they are to take you for someone they can lead into what they want to sell you and not what you want to buy.

We must allow the simple questions to be asked, as many times as they are asked and from as many people as ask them. We must not be as the intellectuals and elites in some areas are. We must never become disdainful of those wishing to reduce and remove their honest ignorance of the subject.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

flyover

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »
Silveressa, would that be .45 Schofield, .45 GAP, .45 ACP, .45 Magnum or .45 Colt?
  ;D     Sorry I couldn't resist.

mustang125

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 04:15:05 PM »
Well I guess I am wrong for saying that it depends on we're you are from as to what you call a box of ammo. I apologize for being so wrong

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »
Well I guess I am wrong for saying that it depends on we're you are from as to what you call a box of ammo. I apologize for being so wrong
mustang this area of the forum is for new comers, we do not want to discourage them from asking question,
he was saying not to discourage them from asking questions.
even if it is a half full or half empty type of question.
if you do not want to read any area of the forum you should be able to ignore it.
please help us to help the new comers.
thanks
Robert
Time will tell.

mustang125

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »
The top part is the bullet, it is the part that comes out of the gun after the bang. The case is the body of the cartridge and it holds the powder, bullet and the primer. The primer is what the firing pin hits. It is a small explosion that ignites the powder in the body of the cartridge. Rounds is a term that is used to describe how many cartridges the gun will hold. Example my XDM 40 will hold 18 rounds, 17 in the magazine and one in the camber. [attach=1]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:07:02 PM by Robert Harvey »

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
Silveressa, would that be .45 Schofield, .45 GAP, .45 ACP, .45 Magnum or .45 Colt?
  ;D     Sorry I couldn't resist.

lol, That depends on the Harvey's firearm, he apparently doesn't have a clue what it is beyond it shoots .45 caliber bullets ;D j/k

On a more serious note that's actually a really good question Flyover, many newcomers to firearms may not realize there's a significant difference and, knowing that difference can save them serious damage to their firearm or injury to themselves.

(I many recall years when ago I had no idea .357 magnum and .357 sig were significantly different from one another.)

The differences are best addressed in a different thread so as not to clutter this one with multiple topics, but in any circumstance when you are not sure of your exact caliber when buying ammo I would suggest asking for it by both caliber and weapon. (I.E: "I want a box of .45 caliber ammunition for my Glock 21.") This way the firearms dealer will make sure to give you the correct ammunition for your firearm.

Another good way to find out exactly what ammunition your particular firearm requires is to read the manual that comes with the firearm. (or run a Google search for it.)

Member of :

flyover

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 07:21:23 AM »
All kidding aside, the barrel or slide should be stamped with the cartidge used ie.  .45ACP, .357 Mag, .40 S&W and so forth

DroidGeorge

• George
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
OK you civil war buffs -  what was a buck and ball?

George

Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »
Buck and Ball:
For some smoothbore muskets, still in use by both sides during the Civil War, a very effective musket-range anti-personnel load was a black-powder paper cartridge, loaded from the muzzle, containing one bore-diameter lead ball and three smaller (00-buckshot-size) lead balls, all sitting atop its powder charge.

Starting from a cocked lock and an empty barrel, the soldier bit off the bullet end of the cartridge, retaining that amount of paper and its lead-ball cargo in his mouth, and poured the powder charge out of its paper cylinder and into the musket's barrel.
Then he wadded-up the paper tube and stuffed it into the barrel as an over-powder wad. Then he spit the paper-covered lead-ball load into the barrel, and rammed it all the way down using the ramrod the musket carried underneath its barrel.
After being sure to withdraw the ramrod, the soldier leveled the musket in his left hand, and placed a percussion cap upon its nipple. Finally, usually upon an officer's order, he raised the gun to his shoulder and fired. Then he began the entire process all over again.

Buck-and-ball was not limited to the Civil War. It had been in use since before the American Revolution, in flintlock muskets, musketoons, and carbines.
Steve,

Coastie

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »
There's some very eloquent replies and descriptions of the answer.  For those of us who need to see these items, see below:

Projectiles = Bullets

Add all the above items together into an "entire package" (shown above) =
Round / Cartridge

----------------
OK you civil war buffs -  what was a buck and ball?

George

The Buck and Ball was a common load for muzzle-loading rifles.  The load was a .69 caliber lead musket ball which had 3 buck-shot pellets combined with it.  Buck and ball were issued in paper cartridges, (carried in a leather pouch that went around the shooters waist/over their shoulder - some of the more fancy pouches had slats in them so each load was separated from the other, which made it easier for the shooter to grab under the heat of battle {i.e. bullets (buckshot being fired at them from the enemy}).  The paper cartridge also contained black powder and aided the shooter in reloading their musket.

(common Civil War buckshot pellets)

The buckshot would set in front of the ball, so that the ball would act as a gas seal for the buckshot. Like any other paper cartridge, the rear of the cartridge would be torn open to expose the powder, which would be loaded, and the remaining paper, balls, and buckshot would be rammed down on top.

That's what shooters are doing, if you've ever seen them at reenactments, when they tear the paper cartridge by their teeth and place it all in the musket barrel and then ram it all down the barrel...I'm sure someone who's practiced this can get off quite a number of shots in any short period.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:42:12 AM by Coastie »

oldranger53

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 06:25:33 PM »
Let's say, for discussion purposes, that an enterprising soul decided to enlarge the hollow point ammo he buys off the shelf.  Let's also say for discussion purposes that this enterprising soul adds to the hollowness of the bullet some steel shot from a shotgun shell, and then covers the whole thing with silicone sealant of some sort.
Would that be considered a "Buck and Ball" round?  And if so, would it be "non-legal?"  Inquiring minds want to know.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

mustang125

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »
Well if the zombies are coming they will not stop and say hey the felt like steel shot. You can not do that it violates the Geneva convention. Now if you shot a bad guy in self defense with said ammo the prosecutor is going to make it hard on you. Modern day "zombies" might just be gun grabbers if you know what I mean.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
...Would...a "Buck and Ball" round...be "non-legal?"...
Looking at the Glaser Safety Slug and its popularity, and the multi-projectile .410 loads for the Judge, I don't see how a "buck and ball" load could be illegalŚexcept in New Jersey, of course.
Steve,

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »
The problem with modifying existing bullets that way is that you 'break' the bullet by doing it, in that the HP has a specific design that is calculated to give the best performance (combination of reliable expansion and penetration, usually) over the widest range of conditions. Start modifying the physical parameters and you'll modify that performance, probably in a sub-optimal direction. Glaser and Magsafe were designed to run with the shot inside. PowR'ball, Critical Defense and Critical Duty, designed to run with beads or fillers inside. Other HPs are designed to run with nothing inside.

If you want to run something like a Glaser or Magsafe round, why not buy a Glaser or Magsafe round?

You also have the possibility of some rabid prosecuting attorney telling a jury about how you just couldn't restrain you lust for killing enough to run a regular HP and just had to experiment with making it even more vicious and deadly with your heinous and inhuman modifications, you vicious monster you. Small chance, but such attempts have occurred even with factory HPs.

So what's the point?
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
Well, I guess "the point" is merely a search, a quest, to find maximum effect from existing off the shelf products. That's all.
I have a hard time accepting the notion that all off the shelf products are as good as they possibly can be.
I believe all products (not only ammo and firearms, but other items as well) on any shelf are produced and marketed with a balance between cost of production and profit margin. With that in mind, I believe improvements to be possible with any items straight off the shelf, and ammo to be no exception.
Therefore, I ponder such things and sometimes post the ponderings to see what other knowledgeable folks think about it.
And, just for the sake of completeness, I have off the shelf Critical Defense rounds in the .44 and .38 right now, and the infamous "Hydra Shock" rounds in the .44mag; all of them are unmodified.
If I can ever afford a good reloading setup, I'll experiment with different configurations of powder and projectiles. For now, I just ponder the "what if" stuff.
Again, I thank all of you for your insights and input!  I don't take any of it lightly!  Thank you all!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 04:17:19 PM »
Ok, I didnt read the replies to this post, And I could be wrong, But?, In short, A round and a cartridge make a bullet, There are other factors that go with these two things, in order for the "round" to propel through the air, Witch I wont get into, but, should get the point accross
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe