Author Topic: Getting back into reloading  (Read 1115 times)

Oldwing

Getting back into reloading
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »
I'm going to get back into reloading, and have been looking at several setups.  It looks like the best way to start is to buy one of the "complete kit" packages that are on the market.  I have seen the Hornaday "Lock n Load classic", a couple by Lee and what looks like a decent price on an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit.

For those of you who reload, if you were going to start over buying reloading equipment, what would you be looking for?

Thanks!
Jerry

Texas CHL
CW3, USA, Retired
Ruger LC9
Ruger SR9C
PK380 for the Wife
1950's Marlin 336

flyover

Re: Getting back into reloading
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:40:33 PM »
I started out with my Dads' Lyman Tru Line press.  It's a four hole turret press but didn't have a sizing die on it, that was done off press.  When I bought my own press I went with a Lyman Spar-T, a six hole turret.  I liked it alot because I had a two die set for a .223 rifle and a three die set for the .357 Mag all set up at the same time.   I didn't have to change out dies each time to perform each opertion.  I know Lyman and Redding both make a turret press.  I thought of it as a in-between press, slightly faster than a single stage press but slightly slower than  progressive.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting back into reloading
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »
...And I started out with a Lyman tong tool, doing .30-40 Krag! (And you thought you were old!)

When I began shooting competitively, I, too, had a Lyman turret press.
Very quickly, I realized that the only way to feed a 1,00-rounds-a-week practice schedule was to graduate to a progressive press.
Of those that were available, the Dillon was least expensive for the "bells and whistles" it supplied, so I bought the least-expensive Dillon.
I'm still using it.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd start off with a Dillon. Probably the 550 model.
It'll load both pistol and rifle rounds with just a few tool-head and detail changes; except that, since I full-length-resize my rifle rounds, I do rifle resizing in a separate, single-stage press.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

mustang125

Getting back into reloading
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »
The lee classic turret press works pretty good for the lows price. It is worth more than the price and can be used as a single stage or a progressive. A full progressive press is a lot for a semi newbie. I reload all but my defense ammo. Enjoy!