Author Topic: Limited-space movement drill, aka "Dances With Guns"  (Read 979 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Limited-space movement drill, aka "Dances With Guns"
« on: October 03, 2012, 07:30:04 AM »
With few exceptions, I much prefer to offer concepts that you can adapt and expand than I do specific routines for you to mindlessly follow. This is an example of the former.

I made a point of giving myself more room to work out and train in when I moved than I had in the house I used to rent. In that place, I could go one regular step, at most two, in any direction from the center of that space, or one or two big steps if I were starting from the edge. Often, given stuff on the floor around me, I didn't have that. In the house I'm renting now, I have three or four full strides available depending on where I start at. Still, not much room compared to even the small back yard and certainly not like a bay at the range.

So how do you incorporate movement into dry practice or stress yourself?

You spin. You lunge. You drop, sometimes like doing a lunge exercise without stepping out, sometimes to kneeling, sometimes, if you have the area, fully to sitting or prone or to your back, you go back up as fast as you went down (almost), you hop from edge to edge, you stride or lunge-step back and forth, you bend and twist...

You dance.

You dance with a pistol in hand as you run the slide and do trigger presses. You dance as you practice magazine changes. You dance with the AK or the AR in hand while you trigger press, drop the mag into the Sneaky Bag or TIB you're wearing, pull the replacement out, and run the bolt. You go up, you go down, you spin around, and you do the same things you do standing with that gun while you do that.

Got three square feet and a wish to expand your dry-practice-training horizons?

Dance.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Limited-space movement drill, aka "Dances With Guns"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:26:58 PM »
I second the motion (pun intended).

Jean, my dancer wife, had an epiphany: New shooting moves are just new choreography.
She's been learning new choreography all of her life, so once she decided that shooting-and-moving was just another form of choreography, she lost her fears and just did each exercise. Without a bobble, I should add.

Jean learns in minutes moves that took me weeks to master.

Yup: If you want to shoot-and-move most effectively, take up dancing.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

1911 guy

• Mischief? Mayhem? My work here is done.
Re: Limited-space movement drill, aka "Dances With Guns"
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
This is where mastery of the fundamentals comes into its own.  Both running the gun and using cover and concealment has a different perspective when doing it in cramped quarters.  A lot of "square ranges", even in an indoor bay, allow more latitude than you may have in your hallway or doorway.  Your body isn't squeezed into the cover provided by the doorway as you lean an eyeball and muzzle into the hallway or up/down the stairs.  When practicing using concealment at a range or class, we usually areable to take half or full steps.  In the relatively cramped quarters of you home, you may well find yourself taking small shuffles foreward or backward.

Anyway, good reminder to practice in small places.   
I wish I believed in reincarnation.  Where's Charles Martel when you need him?