Author Topic: Stealth Scenario Drill: Welcome to Baghdad, Infidel  (Read 2807 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Stealth Scenario Drill: Welcome to Baghdad, Infidel
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
Until I get the simple practice drill up, here's one the Mad Scientist personality suggested:

For rifle or pistol alone or combined. Background:

So you're a contractor working mostly static security and an occasional convoy at [redacted] for [redacted] on a contract with [redacted]. Mostly okay, but a few months into the gig, you're having dreams about Starbucks.

Well, your dreams have been answered! A Starbucks, or something that purports to be one, has just opened just four blocks walking distance from the outer gate of [redacted]. Your desires can now be fulfilled, and you're just not strong enough to resist any more, and besides, things have been quiet in the vicinity of [redacted] for a few months now.

So off you go, on foot, by yourself (such is your mad desire) so caught up by the draw of a 30-ounce triple-chocolate latte with extra caffeine and chocolate cream topping supporting dark chocolate bits.

Cut to Omar, Ackbar, and Abdul, three young jihadists just starting out who want to make a fast rep in the jihad world. The brainstorming session pulled up the idea of making a kill as up-close-and-personal as possible to get the largest number of cool-jihad-guy points, and bigger bonus point totals the closer they could manage it to any infidel invader installation. So what's going to happen (assuming a suitable infidel can be had), one will take up the blade and make them suffer the wrath of Allah at knifepoint while another provides close cover with a pistol. The third will stay with the car, AK in hand, in case heavier firepower is needed.

Omar is at the plate, Abdul is on deck, and they're on your street. Lucky day. Target, meet attacker...

Scenario can be run live-fire or with Airsoft. Establish a line to either side to mark the row of buildings on a street; shooter can't go over that line. Throw a couple of markers at least a sidewalk's distance in front of those lines to represent cover the shooter can use. Omar with the knife is up front on the road edge of the sidewalk; Abdul with the pistol is not less than five yards behind Omar and displaced two yards to either side of Omar's direct rear. Ackbar, if static targets are used, is as far back as the bay will allow on the opposite side of the street. If Airsoft is used (Omar gets a training knife), Ackbar is as far back as the Airsoft gun will shoot without severe arcing. If you don't have an Airsoft rifle, consider placing Ackbar directly opposite on the street from Abdul with another pistol.

Shooter will advance along the sidewalk. Live-fire, give them the Go signal anywhere from 3 to 7 yards from the Omar target (if shooter chooses to switch sides going around Omar [if the range allows fire to the sides] initiate when shooter is directly across or near to it from Omar. Airsoft, Omar gets to initiate.

Airsoft guys: It must be clear and understood that neither Abdul nor Ackbar are allowed to open fire unless Omar is unable to or has difficulty making the 'kill'.

Also: Abdul will always attempt to maneuver to have a clear pistol shot on Omar's target. In the live-fire scenario, an additional target or two might be placed to represent Abdul's movement to new positions. Ackbar is 'top cover' and will be scanning for responders and will not snap to close attention to the attack unless his buds call him in or he hears Abdul shoot.

Once the start signal is given or when Airsoft-Omar initiates, shooter can pretty much do what they want or need to subject to safety considerations which ALWAYS take precedence.

(Variation 1): So driven are you by your lust that you only have the pistol and mags you always wear.
(Variation 2): You did slow down enough to pick up the rifle and throw a couple of mags into a cargo pocket, but didn't want to take time to rig everything up to include the pistol as well.
(Variation 3): Packing the extra weight will burn off some of the calories you're about to ingest. Rifle and pistol and reloads on the way.
(Variation 4): You work mainly as a plainclothes guard for [redacted]. Pistol and any reloads under normal cover, include rifle if you have a sneaky way to carry it.
(Variation 5): You're crazy with desire, but you're not stupid with desire. You're taking your Battle Buddy with you whether he/she is a Starbucks fan or not. Both shooters armed the same to make it simple. UNLESS YOU HAVE RECENT OR CURRENT TRAINING IN TEAM TACTICS, DON'T DO THIS ONE LIVE-FIRE. RUN IT DRY ALL YOU WANT, BUT UNLESS YOU'RE CURRENT DON'T PUT A SINGLE ROUND IN ANY WEAPON. AT ALL. PERIOD.
(All variations: Add a time limit for a 'reaction' force so that the shooter only has to survive a bit, not necessarily win outright. Or time limit can be fore surviving Jihadists to abort the operation and withdraw.)

(Additional variations) Besides adding or subtracting props, change starting positions and distances as you will. Using Airsoft, Omar has the option of waiting until shooter is past him at any distance to start the attack. Changing the weapon mix should be done cautiously, as that will remove the point of the scenario that I wish to emphasize. It can be done, just give it some thought before doing something like giving everybody guns. Also, Omar can be started somewhere else, say from the entrance to a building. He is not allowed to be completely hidden from the shooter, however. He must be observed at least a few moments prior to the attack-start.

Suggested start signal is "Allahu Ackbar!!"

Scenario driver: As much as can be done, who's doing what first among the attackers should be obscured.

The debrief should address these questions: Why did the shooter do what they did in the order they did it? Was there a better way to do it?

A question for you: What is the serious point to this rather non-serious scenario?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:05:04 AM by CR Williams »
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

SARGeek

Re: Stealth Scenario Drill: Welcome to Baghdad, Infidel
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
This sounds like a great one for airsoft! The multiple targets live fire would be a great range drill but the force-on-force aspect of the airsoft scenario has many great components from which you could learn an amazing amount that is applicable to a street encounter with "just plain dirtbags".
- Terrain analysis
- Maneuver within the constraints of the environment (Getting off the "X" is great, where are you going next?)
- Target discrimination (possibly toss in some bystanders?)

Thanks CR!
SARGeek

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:34:09 AM »
A question for you: What is the serious point to this rather non-serious scenario?
Always be alert to what is going on around you.
always plan an escape routes along the way.
If you have none plan to exit hostile area ASAP.
always be sure of your target and what is behind it.

rharvey

Time will tell.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
Added a couple of notes to the scenario.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
    • Co-admin of rolepayingtips.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:45:09 AM »
It sounds like a fun and useful drill, looking forward to more mad scientist ideas in the future!  8)

Onegai shimasu.
"Lead by example or get out of the way."

25 years of firearms experience, 2 years Army National Guard service, CCing for 1 & 1/2 years and counting.

Member of :
Pink Pistols ( http://pinkpistols.org/ )
Second Amendment Sisters ( http://www.2asisters.org/ )

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:27:50 AM »
Nobody else wants to hazard an answer to the central point of the exercise?

Robert and SARGeek brought up good and great points, but not the one I built this scenario to investigate.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »
Nobody else wants to hazard an answer to the central point of the exercise?

Engaging multiple threats at varying distances that are armed with a variety of weaponry? (As well training to search for secondary/tertiary targets after engaging/eliminating the first one.)

25 years of firearms experience, 2 years Army National Guard service, CCing for 1 & 1/2 years and counting.

Member of :

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:06:10 AM »
Closest yet, Silveressa.

The main principle in this exercise is prioritizing the threat on the fly. You've got a guy with a knife, a guy with a gun, a guy with a rifle. Which one is the biggest threat? Which one is likely to kill you first? Especially if you don't see the knife or pistol until the point of attack. (I need to add a note to the OP about that.) In just a moment, you have to consider position, proximity, weapon capability, angles, and decide who needs to be shot first. Do it wrong an maybe you die. Also, there is the concept that threat priority changes your strategy past first reaction. Do you move to nearest cover or maneuver to keep the knife guy in front of the pistol or rifle guy? Do you keep moving or go to ground against two people that can maneuver against you until you get them down?

What you do, where you move, how you use terrain, all of this depends on making a correct evaluation of who can kill you first. That's what I'm trying to work through here.

What do you do, in what order, and why do you do it?

www.inshadowinlight.com

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 06:12:16 AM »
Further notes to scenario:

Pistol and knife likely to remain hidden. Live-fire, scenario driver may can come up with a way to announce the draw. I need to think about that.

Further variation: End of shooting, scenario driver declares that shooter has been wounded and where. Shooter has to deal with it. Airsoft, you can just tell them to work a hit you've observed. If working a team, option is to have partner hit and other guy has to render aid.

You can also position Omar behind Abdul to begin with so that Omar rushes around as Abdul produces the pistol. Again, Abdul does not fire unless Omar is failing to make the kill or someone comes to help the shooter. In a team run, Abdul will immediately engage the partner to cover Omar's rush.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 06:31:53 AM »
What do you do, in what order, and why do you do it?

Okay, assuming I'm alone for this scenario:

Engage the knife wielder first given he's the most immediate threat, using my cane to sweep outwards and slow his approach while drawing and firing single handed into the upper torso/head area with 3 shots.

Depending on the results of this first defensive maneuver and the surroundings I would do one of the following: (Keeping in mind I walk with a cane and any attempt at rapid movement over distance will likely result in my ankle giving out and dropping me to the ground in agony.)

Plan A) No nearby cover and knife wielder had closed to arms length before being neutralized:

Drop my cane to grab knife mans body to use as an impromptu shield and attempt follow it to the ground while engaging Rifle man second, (his bullets are the most lethal and at that range a rifle on full auto will cover the street so he needs to be target 2 and hopefully he will hesitate before opening fire so as not to hit his comrade) Then engage target 3 if he's still in visual range.

In this plan I'm assuming target #1 is disarmed and dead, likely with a head shot if he's that close to me when attacking, if attacker #1 still seems at all likely of grappling or attacking me (I.E he's not sporting a .40 caliber hollow point hole in the brain pan) I would fire at rifleman while falling prone so as to minimize my target profile then engage pistol man if he's still visible.

Plan B) Cover is near by within a few steps (I.E a parked car, hot dog vendor cart, etc..)

Engage Knife wielder as before then leap for cover and engage rifle man or pistol man from the ground, depending on which one was most visible from my new vantage point. (Targeting the one I can see the clearest eliminates the threats fastest and may demoralize the remaining attacker from continuing the assault.)

Member of :

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
An excellent, EXCELLENT example of someone who knows what they can and can't do and plans according, ladies and gentlemen.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Bill MO

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 07:03:40 PM »
In this situation I see Ackbar, if he is playing his role right sitting in the car, being missed as a BG at the very start. Your focus will be on Omar and Abdul. Omar with the knife will be close when it starts, I see moving to the 5 or 7 to give distance to bring your gun into play. Direction chosen would be which ever would put Abdul with his pistol behind Omar until he went down. Omar is the first target and Abdul is the second, I then hope Ackbar is a poor shot so I am still on my feet after he let me know he is in the fight too. Better yet would be to pick him out as a BG before he shoots My movement if I'm still on my feet is across the front of the car in the hope I can stop the swing of the rifle (as I see him with it out the side window) while he is sitting in the car. I would be putting rounds through the windows.

I would use cover if it was available but if they chose their spot of attack right there will be very little to use.

I see this as being a time that you will be taking hits so get your mind right so you can fight through it. You're not out of fight until you can no longer move. This is a time the other 2 will not run with the shooting of the first BG. You will have to deal with all 3.
"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

"If you are not training in “the reality of the fight” you are training to a lower standard." Roger Phillips

"It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby." reinman45