Author Topic: Combination Drills  (Read 1067 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Combination Drills
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:15:08 PM »
Two examples from personal dry-practice sessions:

1. Simple drawstroke and presentation from concealment, extension to a dot on the wall, trigger press. What I was mainly working on in this case was timing the shot to break just before reaching the limit of extension. I changed focus from time to time during the session, however, on different parts of the drawstroke, the presentation after clearance, sight acquisition, master grip acquisition as the session went on. The main aim of this session, however, was the timing of the shot. To avoid whipping or jerking the shot, this requires you to drive the gun forward under control, not punch it forward as some instructors say to do sometimes. Repetitions were done with each hand from holsters on each side of the body in the usual positions.

2. Drawstroke and presentation from concealment to, initially, an one-hand presentation to the target point. (This time, I did no trigger presses, but they could have been incorporated here as well.) After presentation to one target, execute a switch and present the weapon to another target well off the original line with the other hand. This was done with both one and two-hand grips and holds. Focus was on making a smooth transition between hand and an efficient and direct drive/repositioning of the gun to the second target point. Once the line/sighting of the gun on the second target was verified, holster and repeat. (Note that this meant I was switching sides on the drawstroke every repetition.) Focus from time to time shifted to work on grips and holds that allow sighting/presentation in all directions without my having to pivot.

The key to making these combination drills effective is solid focus. This is not an endurance challenge, this is a skill-development exercise and should be approached in that way. If you focus correctly, you may well find that you have to make sessions shorter than you may be accustomed to because you fatigue mentally faster. You should never drive yourself past the point where fatigue sets in if you are working on skill development in this way. You do not want to train yourself to perform an inefficient movement. There is a time and place for repetition. This is not that time or place.

Try combining things like this from time to time with focus on one aspect or shifting focus on different aspects of the movement/process as you go, but maintaining a kind of background intention and focus on the entire movement/process throughout. This is not as easy as it seems, and you have to watch for that drift into mindless repetition. Done correctly with proper intent, however, I believe this concept will be of good benefit to you.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

SARGeek

Re: Combination Drills
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
Good stuff! Thanks for posting these CR. I probably spend the most time on dry fire since getting to the range is an hour away now so twice a month is what I can usually manage. Dry practice at home helps greatly in keeping things moving in between that.
SARGeek

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »
Thanks CR.  We always appreciate you input. 
do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

GTG

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:46:03 AM »
I Much Appreciate It, Thank You! G2G
'The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer.' Henry Kissinger

"A Nation Of Sheep Will Beget A Government Of Wolves" Edward D Murrow

"Either We Are A Country Of Laws With A Constitution, Or We Are A Banana Republic"