Author Topic: hey everyone I found out that CR Williams has a book coming out....  (Read 13024 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
hey everyone I found out that CR Williams has a book coming out, thought you would like to know about it.

For sale beginning August 25th:

"Gunfighting and Other Thoughts about Doing Violence" by CR Williams

This first book of a planned series of essays and articles covering the counter-offensive fight is a compilation of articles written for various organizations and publications that consider mental, moral, physical, and technical aspects of defensive combat, primarily with handguns (though other weapons are also considered). Collected and organized and with new photos and some new material added, this first volume takes a look at some aspects of the gunfight that have been reviewed by others and some that have not, from what I hope you will find to be a different perspective than others have come to this subject with. From basic to advanced, students of the fight at all levels should find something useful to them here and in the volumes following.

The book will be available in both print and ebook formats. Initially, the book will be
available on the Lulu.com website for order and/or download, but listings will be going up on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBookstore over the next few weeks. These will be announced as they become available.

A website, www.inshadowinlight.com, supporting this book series and providing additional content, will be starting concurrently with the release of the book for sale.
Time will tell.

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
Re: hey everyone I found out that CR Williams has a book coming out....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:49:31 AM »
Thanks Robert
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

SARGeek

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:52:04 AM »
Cool! Look forward to seeing it release.
SARGeek

rdpG19

• Some of my Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:23:49 AM »
I know that "CR Williams" writes some outstanding articles, the book should be a good read.
It's hard to find a good Self Defense book, most of them cover mainly what gun, how to carry, holster selection, etc. All the type of stuff that if you've been carrying for over 6 months, most people already know it. Maybe this book will be the type of reading I'm looking for.
"consider mental, moral, physical, and technical aspects of defensive combat, primarily with handguns"
US Navy Veteren
Ruger SP 101 357 3" Barrel
Glock 19 Gen3
Taurus 65 357 mag
Walther PK 380

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:46:47 AM »
Very interesting indeed.
That may just be one of the few that I will buy and put on the bookshelf, and perhaps even READ.  Easy to get them on the bookshelf, but with all the stuff competing for my time and focus, actually reading one takes a lot more effort - but much more effort is required to write, edit, and publish it for sure. 
Thanks for the Heads Up.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

SARGeek

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 02:04:48 PM »
I do plan on reading it. I have had many rewarding "conversations" with CR over the last few years and his ideas are usually worth consideration.

It is even more important to keep the mind honed sharp than it is the gun clean. Once you take a class you have to build a practice routine to keep the skills sharp and honed. It is no different for the mind. The good news is that you don't need a range or dummy rounds and it should always be with you. (According to my lovely lady this is not always the case with me... :o)

Looking forward to the book!
SARGeek

oldranger53

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »
I agree with the mental aspect over the physical aspect.
Any martial artist beyond Brown Belt would agree with that.
I'm calmer now and a bit more collected, so I hope my comments make sense.
I have to say that IF the image on the book cover is CR, then I am favorably amazed, compared to the avatar.  HEHE

I guess my own image to avatar would provide similar amazement.

See image provided.

Cheers!
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

oldranger53

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »
Oh look, I try to keep this "under wrapps" but I wrote a book of my own, ummm back in 1999 or so.
You can find the into, table of contents, prelude, and summary at the following URL:
http://oldranger53.wordpress.com

Please don't ask for details unless you are willing to bear the weight of KNOWING the truth about what happened.  ok?

Many of us just do what is RIGHT, regardless of what other people think or do, and regardless of personal sacrafice.

CR?  I respect you.

SARGeek

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:27:26 PM »
I have to say that IF the image on the book cover is CR, then I am favorably amazed, compared to the avatar.  HEHE

I guess my own image to avatar would provide similar amazement.

See image provided.

Cheers!

Yes, that is CR. I recognize him from his movies (videos)...

Isn't it funny how we see pictures in our heads and then are suprised when it's different then we imagined?
SARGeek

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:12:33 AM »
That is really me, oldranger.

If this works, to give you an idea of what's in the book, I'm posting the Table Of Contents here:

GUNFIGHTING, and other Thoughts about Doing Violence
Table of Contents

To The Reader
Introduction: What Can You Do NOW?
About The Pictures In This Book
About The Content Of This Book
PART ONE: THE MENTAL, THE MORAL, THE PHYSICAL
Why Does It Vex Some People That Han Solo (May Have) Fired First?
Training Your Mind To Fight
Shooting and Fighting: There Is A Difference
The Counterattacking Mind
Yes, You Can Buy Skill
Patterning Chaos
What Do You Know?
Labels
Being Like John Wayne Can't Be All Bad
Getting To Grips With A Different Hammer
In Consideration Of The Active Shooter
Pelvic Shots And Being 'Batman With A Gun'
Can You Shoot Somebody You KNOW?
You WILL Have Bad Days At The Range

PART TWO: THE ART, THE SCIENCE, THE METHOD
We Usually Do This Backwards, Don't We?
Range Safety, Combat Safety
The Drawstroke
A Need For Speed?
There Is No Controversy
What They're Not Telling You About Point Shooting
Another Definition Of Point Shooting
Accuracy Is King
Carrying Without A Round Chambered
Resisting A Home Invasion I
Resisting A Home Invasion II
Right Hand, Left Hand, One Hand, Both Hands, Either Hand
Nice Drawstroke: Can You Do That One-Handed?
The Floating Gun
Consistency, The Concept
There's Only One Way...
Porting A Carry Gun Is A Bad Idea
Self-Defense With The Long-Gun
LAST WORD (For Now)
Resources
About The Author
Gratitude To:
Index
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

SARGeek

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:59:14 AM »
Wow CR! That's a lot of material. How many pages?

Thanks fir the preview. It's on my list to get. Will it be through Infidel Media too?
SARGeek

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 08:34:25 AM »
120 pages as current. SARGeek. Understand that this is a compilation of articles and not much was added to any given section for the book. Follow-up volumes may be larger as I expand on things the way a book lets me do it.

Everyone, I need to let you know there will be a delay on release. To answer SARGeeks' question, the print version very likely be going through Infidel Media. This is a recent confirmation, and working through that will delay release by probably a month. That would put the book and supporting website up between the end of September and the middle of October, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Apologies, as original plan was to go 'live' tomorrow. Going this route, however, will improve final quality and from a purely capitalistic standpoint, get me more eyeballs in my preferred demographic (Sierra Club members, that is....oh, wait, I'm looking in the reverse-everything viewer again...) and increase my revenues. That will help me with production to follow. (Reinvest, grow business, reinvest, grow business...take that, Mr. "You didn't build this" President!)

So: It's still coming, just not as soon as originally planned. But the delay makes things better all around. Maybe I can get a proper epub conversion by then...

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

SARGeek

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »
Awesome stuff CR, thanks for keeping us up to date. Good stuff is worth waiting for.
SARGeek

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 10:59:37 AM »
We will of course be waiting.  8)
Time will tell.

rdpG19

• Some of my Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 06:46:21 AM »
Awesome stuff CR, thanks for keeping us up to date. Good stuff is worth waiting for.

Now thats the type of reading material I've been looking for, Thank you CR. I will be buying my copy as soon as its available.

US Navy Veteren
Ruger SP 101 357 3" Barrel
Glock 19 Gen3
Taurus 65 357 mag
Walther PK 380

Coastie

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
We will of course be waiting.  8)

+1 - looking forward to it...

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
cr I have some friends that sell their books on line,etc..
I can give you one ladies name.
maybe she can help you with good publisher sources.
Robert
Time will tell.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 07:03:39 AM »
Update:

The print version will be published by Infidel Media Group, one of the Suarez International family of companies. I don't have a firm date, but at this time it looks like it will come out some time in October. E-book format release may not be concurrent and is still being determined (Aside: You would think by now it would be easier to convert Word documents to ebook formats. I did, anyway. Turns out to be way trickier than I thought it would.)

I am beginning work on Volume 2 and have a target release period of end of 1st quarter 2013 for that one.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
Great!

Time will tell.

oldranger53

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »
Yes.  Great.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Current release schedule
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 06:24:23 AM »
I am still unable to provide a date for the print-format release. Once it gets to the printer, IMG doesn't have a lot they can do with that. Regardless, e-book formats, .epub and PDF, will be released beginning Oct. 31st. If I understand correctly, the first place it will be available is www.lulu.com. A few weeks later it will be listed on Barnes & Noble and iBookstore in .epub format.

The difference between the two depends on what you read it on. If you have at least a 7" tablet or computer, PDF works better because the pictures will be normal size in relation to the text and the page can be sized easier and read easier. (Also, the conversion from the base format went way better with PDF.) If you are going to read this on a phone-size platform, go with the .epub. The pictures will be very small, but the text sizes automatically and is far easier to read on a phone.

Concurrently with release of the book, a new website will go up to support this and subsequent production. I'm setting up a new company for that.

I apologize for the delay. If I had known there would be a pause like this I would have withheld the announcement until later. I don't like it looking like vaporware.

www.inshadowinlight.com

SARGeek

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »
In the real world, stuff like that happens CR. The fight will be what the fight will be, why would that rule suspend for a different kind of fight?

Will be looking for it when it gets here.
SARGeek

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 05:39:03 AM »
I recorded an interview about the book with Bob Mayne, who does the Handgun World podcast, last night. The interview will be podcast  with the program Sunday, November 4th.

Otherwise, I'm still on track for October 31st release of e-reader formats and the website.

www.inshadowinlight.com

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
E-reader format books are available for sale now
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »
http://www.lulu.com/shop/cr-williams/gunfighting-and-other-thoughts-about-doing-violence/ebook/product-20342940.html (PDF)

http://www.lulu.com/shop/cr-williams/gunfighting-and-other-thoughts-about-doing-violence/ebook/product-20475785.html(epub)

I want to let you know now that there are flaws in the .epub version. That's why it's priced less than the PDF. No matter what I did or changed, the conversion process to .epub from the original manuscript just did not work out. Didn't lose anything, but there's a couple of places where it's obvious something didn't keep. So I definitely recommend getting the PDF in order to get the best quality production.

I will let you all know as soon as the print version is available.

www.inshadowinlight.com

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
Website is up:

www.inshadowinlight.com

Not much on it for now, not very polished for now, but it will get better.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »
Just looked at the website.
Looks good.
Back in the day, when most people were struggling with DOS5, I set out on a mission to teach people to approach DOS5 with confidence and great confidence.
Well, as we all know, DOS5 went the way of the dinosaurs, and people like me with them.
Decades before that, I was teaching Spec-Ops personnel in the Army some of the skills outlined in this post.

I applaud anyone's use of initiative and forethought.
What I question is just how long will it all last?
It all sounds good.  I'm all for it.
Carnal knowledge may not be appropriate for the general public.  Just a thought.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 07:55:59 AM »
You can look at it a couple of different ways, oldranger.

Either you can acknowledge that the supposed secrets are out there already and that those who want to know can and will know, or you can subscribe to the belief that life-saving and fight-winning knowledge should not be restricted to "special" or selected groups or individuals.

I acknowledge the first point and subscribe to the second. As far as techniques and tactics and concepts of the fight are concerned, everybody that wants it should be able to get it if they can. The bad guys know it anyway. Why shouldn't all the good guys?

www.inshadowinlight.com

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »
I have an interview about the book coming up Sunday Nov. 4 on the Handgun World podcast.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 06:46:07 PM »
You can look at it a couple of different ways, oldranger.

Either you can acknowledge that the supposed secrets are out there already and that those who want to know can and will know, or you can subscribe to the belief that life-saving and fight-winning knowledge should not be restricted to "special" or selected groups or individuals.

I acknowledge the first point and subscribe to the second. As far as techniques and tactics and concepts of the fight are concerned, everybody that wants it should be able to get it if they can. The bad guys know it anyway. Why shouldn't all the good guys?

I vehemently subscribe to the notion that NEARLY all of the "secrets" should be available to whomever wants to learn them.
My heart aches at that thought because I know that those who WANT to know them, about 100 percent WANT to know - about 50 percent will ever TRY to know, and about 7 percent will ever put forth the effort and commitment to actually "know" - and then, in those quiet hours when no one else is around, when there's no threat, and as the "normal" folks crucify the one with Carnal Knowledge...leaving their HERO completely on his or her own, well, let's just say that my heart aches every single night for me, for you, and for"them" who have yet to cross over that line that only real HEROS ever cross - yet never to return.

Lonely Heros.  The phrase doesn't seem to mesh.  Does it?

SARGeek

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »

Unfortunately OR, it is the most common case. Look at how many of our CMH recipients have passed on broke and alone. The sheep don't like "different" because they are scared of what they don't, can't and never will understand. If they understood they would not be sheep.
SARGeek

oldranger53

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 03:58:48 AM »

Unfortunately OR, it is the most common case. Look at how many of our CMH recipients have passed on broke and alone. The sheep don't like "different" because they are scared of what they don't, can't and never will understand. If they understood they would not be sheep.

Yes, very true.
One weekend back in 72 or 73, I took a 3 day pass from Ft. Campbell and rode the buss down to Madison County Alabama to see my aunt and uncle.
It was summer time, and I had my khakis on with Infantry Rope, spit shined jump boots, creases so sharp you could cut your finger on them, Presidential Unit Citations, "Silver Wings" (as the song goes), the works.
I had a layover in Nashville, TN so I walked from the bus station to the nearest bar and downed a couple of brews to pass the time.
When I returned to the bus station, passing by an alley way, a couple of "bums" saw my black beret, jump boots, etc... and approached me.
They just wanted to talk.  They both claimed to have been Rangers in WWII.
I remember thinking to myself if THAT was the fate that awaited me, if I lived long enough.???

I've never been homeless, but came close to it once.

It's a one-way gate, the carnal knowledge.
It's something you cannot ever "know" without going through the "gate", and once through that "gate of knowledge", you cannot ever NOT know and go back through the gate to where most people live in relative blissful ignorance.

The hero's in the movies live in the desert with their horses UNTIL there is a need for them.  Then, after the need is over, they go back into the desert with their horse, but that part is downplayed in the movies.

"Fighting Soldiers from the sky
Fearless men, who jump and die
Men who mean, just what they say
The brave men, of the Green Beret..."

Sounds glorious, and at weak moments tears still well up in my eyes - but these days the tears are for different reasons.

Good morning everyone!

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 04:46:26 AM »
Many, many times has a Hero stopped and saved someone in an emergncy situation and then disappeared?  Heroes don't do what they do for recognition. 
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
The interview is up: http://www.handgunworld.com/ podcast.

www.inshadowinlight.com

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »
I just listened to the pod cast and ordered and received the .pdf version of your book.  Looking forward to reading it.  Thank you, Augie 

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
I bought your book and have started reading it.
thanks for putting it together.
Robert
Time will tell.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 05:09:18 PM »
Additional video content has been added to the website.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »
Many, many times has a Hero stopped and saved someone in an emergncy situation and then disappeared?  Heroes don't do what they do for recognition. 
this day and age it is safer.
two guys rescued a lady from a burning car. she sued them, she was trying to commit suicide.
Time will tell.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light

www.inshadowinlight.com

Shawn Hoyle

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 08:47:55 PM »
I'm a little behind, but I'm listening to the podcast now and plan to buy the book. Thanks C.R.
USAF
NRA
ACLDN
NAGR
CST

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

-Ronald Reagan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ