Author Topic: Run the Diamond  (Read 1092 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Run the Diamond
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:36:39 PM »
I don't remember where I first saw this detailed or who detailed it, but it wasn't me. I do know that the center-point variation is mine, though.

At the least, you need four markers. For some variations of the drill, it would be best to have something like tables, chairs or barrels--something you can put things on top of.

Set the markers in a diamond pattern, long axis directed to the target or targets. Distance from the nearest point to the targets and distance between the points of the diamond are up to you, but I would guess the diamond should be at least three yards across. An optional center point could be added for some variations.

The simplest way to run the drill is to start at one point and to point-to-point in one direction, stopping only long enough to get one accurate shot off before proceeding to the next point.

It can get harder from there. Suggested variations:

Run two rounds without stopping, one direction then the other direction.

Stop at each point only briefly, more like a pause or just a slowing, and shoot as you move point to point.

Treat the points as cover and go to different sides and levels as you stop at each point.
With a center reference, have someone call out a point to go to and then another and another, point-to-point-to-point as they decide.

Place a different weapon on each point. Run to point, pick up and fire, put down and go to next point, repeat.

Place weapons in different states of operation (or not) at each point. Go, get it shooting, put it down, go to next point, repeat.

Have a card or card that someone else places at each point with a firing position written on it. As quickly as possible, read the card, assume the listed position and fire, head for the next one, repeat.

There are other variations, I'm guessing. But you get the idea.

Range time.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Run the Diamond
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:06:53 AM »
Woah.
That IS a drill!
I am hoping to get a good range day before the snow starts to fall later this year.
Perhaps I will get to try some aspects of this one when I finally get out there.
Thanks CR
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

GTG

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:48:24 AM »
Not Only A Drill, But I will Have A Witness? :-[ ;D G2G
'The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer.' Henry Kissinger

"A Nation Of Sheep Will Beget A Government Of Wolves" Edward D Murrow

"Either We Are A Country Of Laws With A Constitution, Or We Are A Banana Republic"

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:07:54 AM »
As always, good info.  Thanks CR
do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez