Author Topic: Nylon Fabric Field Holster  (Read 1665 times)

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Nylon Fabric Field Holster
« on: November 07, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
To Assuage Silveressa's Curiosity:

This is one of two iterations I made sometime in the 1980s. The material is waterproof Cordura, with a couple of different kinds of Velcro fasteners, and Fastex buckles.

Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: Nylon Fabric Field Holster
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »
Nice work, Steve!
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Coastie

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »
Not a bad idea.  I've enjoyed some of the nylon holsters from WWII, Korea and and onwards   Usually aircrew had some nylon shoulder rigs that would be worn across their chest, outside of their uniform and flight jacket, where they could retrieve their weapons as they needed to...

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »
Michael;
This one is designed to attach to the pants' belt, and to drop down below the load-bearing vest (also Steve-designed-and-made). When the rifle-equipment-loaded vest (or load-bearing belt) is removed, the pistol and two reloads stays on my person.
Steve,

SARGeek

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
Nice setup Steve.

Looking into something similar so as to stay below the load bearing hipbelt on mt larger packs. Most of the drop leg rigs I've seen to date have a tendency to point the gun at my knee and I don't like that idea. This one also provides protection for the gun in heavy cover when bushwhacking and breaking trail. Nice.
SARGeek

Coastie

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
So you're not making those anylonger?  The mag holder looks interesting as well.  Not that I'd want a holster like that - I doubt my 3" 1911 would like it, but the mag holder....mebbe

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
So you're not making those anylonger?...
I no longer make anything at all. I am retired.
The last time I needed something made out of leather, I had it done by a talented lady in Canada.
The last time I needed a holster, Bob Mernickle made it for me.

Coastie and SARGeek;
If you (or your wife) are handy with a sewing machine, you could make stuff out of Cordura Nylon fabric all by yourself. The hard part is making the patterns by trial-and-error, and you can do that with paper.
Many "outdoors" stores (for instance REI) sell coated Cordura fabric, nylon straps in various widths, Velcro, and strong plastic buckles. (The holster is interlined with shirt-collar-stiffening material.)
Coastie, there's gotta be someplace in Spokane where you can get supplies.
Steve,

Coastie

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 05:38:19 PM »
So you're not making those anylonger?...
I no longer make anything at all. I am retired.
The last time I needed something made out of leather, I had it done by a talented lady in Canada.
The last time I needed a holster, Bob Mernickle made it for me.

Coastie and SARGeek;
If you (or your wife) are handy with a sewing machine, you could make stuff out of Cordura Nylon fabric all by yourself. The hard part is making the patterns by trial-and-error, and you can do that with paper.
Many "outdoors" stores (for instance REI) sell coated Cordura fabric, nylon straps in various widths, Velcro, and strong plastic buckles. (The holster is interlined with shirt-collar-stiffening material.)
Coastie, there's gotta be someplace in Spokane where you can get supplies.

She's not and I haven't sewn for a while, and don't have the type machine to do that stuff.  However there's a wife of a friend who does sew and she's made tool holders (the cloth wrap types for my open end wrenches) so I may see if she wants to tackle this.  If it comes out well she will also make xmas gifts for the men in her family as well.  So we'll see.

MilProGuy

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 01:33:54 AM »
Nice-looking work!

I'm sure the rig has served you very well through the years.
Proud Veteran of the U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired