Author Topic: A new pistol I'm thinking about  (Read 9975 times)

Coastie

A new pistol I'm thinking about
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
The Taurus  Ultra-Lite Judge

Have been reading up on this in the Box o' Truth as well as numerous other websites and since I now carry a single shot .410 pistol called BUG  The Thunder (no you probably won't find it in the firearm books) by RT&M Inc., Bristol, TN, I think it'd be nicer to have more rounds in the wheel, than just one.  Of course this is a BUG and that one shot could be followed by the magazine contents in my S&W Automatic. 

There's a new Ultra-light Judge out, and it can be had in blue for just over $400.  No, it probably wouldn't work with a concealment t-shirt, but I haven't worn those for a couple of months.  Have gone back to the leather holsters I invested in during the 80s, which I like more than the synthetic ones...

The below is also an excellent reveiw of this piece:

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-UltraLiteJudge.htm

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: A new pistol I'm thinking about
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
Thanks Coastie.
I too prefer the leather holsters.
The Judge is a great innovation, I believe.
A friend of mine, I call him "Mr. Huff" who works at the hardware/gun shop on the next street bought himself one of the long barreled "Judge" pistols last year.  I was there when he picked it up.  When he handed it to me for inspection, I was impressed with the quality of materials and workmanship of the piece. 
He's a fellow crazy man, having jumped out of "perfectly good airplanes" in the 82nd Airborne in the Vietnam Era and somehow loosing an eye somewhere (probably Indochina).
I can imagine how much he sacrificed to buy that pistol.  Every time I see him, I ask if he's shot it yet, and all he can say is that the ammo costs too much, and that he's planning on it...
I'm thinking about buying him a box of .45 Colt and .410 shotgun ammo just so he can go out and enjoy his very cool pistol for once.

In my thinking, if a man like that sacrifices THAT much to own one of the "Judge" pistols, it's well worth consideration from others. 

Recently, I could have had a "Judge" but chose a different piece, but that was personal preference and nothing else.  Next time, I may just go toward the Judge.

Cheers!
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
    • Co-admin of rolepayingtips.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:27:21 PM »
If your chosen self defense weapon, (be it your EDC or a BUG) fits your hand properly, you can reliably hit your target, and don't find the recoil off putting to regular practice then it's the "best gun" you can possibly own. (Assuming it's reliable and free of defects of course.)

Beyond that all other concerns are secondary.

(I'm a firm believer in never buying a firearm you haven't had a chance to shoot that make/model of personally. What feels nice in the gun store may hurt your hand on the range, and feel a lot less nice after firing 5-6 reloads/magazines through it.)

Buying what's "new" or "popular" or "classy looking" is nice for the next competition/ your shooting hobby, but when it comes to self defense carry what you can handle best/ are most comfortable shooting with.

Yes a "lowly" .380 pistol might seem weak compared to a shiny .357 or Judge, (and I use the comparison loosely) but if you can handle the .308 in adverse conditions, and place accurate shots with confidence, the benefit of switching to a new gun that's purchased solely because it's "new/popular" is marginal at best.

Or as the old saying goes "a hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .44 every time."

As far as carrying a Judge for self defense, I agree they are excellent weapons, especially for those living in rattlesnake territory, (hard to beat a .410 shell for snakes!) and the .45 colt works just fine on 2 legged foes.  8)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:40:15 PM by Silveressa »
"Lead by example or get out of the way."

25 years of firearms experience, 2 years Army National Guard service, CCing for 1 & 1/2 years and counting.

Member of :
Pink Pistols ( http://pinkpistols.org/ )
Second Amendment Sisters ( http://www.2asisters.org/ )

Coastie

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:37:22 PM »
Thanks Coastie...
He's a fellow crazy man, having jumped out of "perfectly good airplanes" in the 82nd Airborne in the Vietnam Era and somehow loosing an eye somewhere (probably Indochina).
I can imagine how much he sacrificed to buy that pistol.  Every time I see him, I ask if he's shot it yet, and all he can say is that the ammo costs too much, and that he's planning on it...
I'm thinking about buying him a box of .45 Colt and .410 shotgun ammo just so he can go out and enjoy his very cool pistol for once.

In my thinking, if a man like that sacrifices THAT much to own one of the "Judge" pistols, it's well worth consideration from others. 

Recently, I could have had a "Judge" but chose a different piece, but that was personal preference and nothing else.  Next time, I may just go toward the Judge.

Cheers!

I must be crazy as well as I've jumped out of perfectly good airplanes as well...during high school that is...on weekends...

I checked some of the prices for these and the cheapest for a standard blued pistol is a little over $400 and they go up to just over $600.  I will probably buy it through the USAF Fairchild exchange, because when we were there last (a couple of months ago) they had a spanking new gun sales area (it was over in an addition to the hardware area) and there they had pistols, wheel guns to SA/DAs, rifles (could have 'looked' like Wally World).  I bet their prices are even better and no sales tax

Also since I'm heading down to the VA almost constantly for the next 2+ months, every time I go I get "mileage" round-trip from and to home.  Times that by 8 or more trips, and there's the price for the Ultra-lite Judge... ;)

Of course I will check these out at the Spokane area ranges.  One is owned and run by a woman, whom a friend referred us to...they rent their pistols for free, but ya gotta buy range ammo - works for me. 

{after sleeping on this, I doubt that the Judge out be any different than other wheel guns I own now, after reading the below article it appears that there's good rubber grips on it, like the ones on my S&W 1917 .45 ACP revolver.  That pistol fills my hand as well and it's easy trigger pull allows good groups of target hits.  The Judge is probably lighter that the 1917, has a better front sight and probably just the same weight, perhaps a little lighter, although there'd be a 95 (or so) year difference in manufacturing...did you also note that on the Judge there's a dampener between the grips?}
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:12:47 AM by Coastie »

MRBARRY

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »
I saw in an email notification from CDNN today that they have the Taurus Judge Ultra-Light Stainless for $389.99 thru Saturday. Don't know how they are about shipping.

oldranger53

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »
Thanks Coastie...

Cheers!

I must be crazy as well as I've jumped out of perfectly good airplanes as well...during high school that is...on weekends...

I checked some of the prices for these and the cheapest for a standard blued pistol is a little over $400 and they go up to just over $600.  I will probably buy it through the USAF Fairchild exchange, because when we were there last (a couple of months ago) they had a spanking new gun sales area (it was over in an addition to the hardware area) and there they had pistols, wheel guns to SA/DAs, rifles (could have 'looked' like Wally World).  I bet their prices are even better and no sales tax

Also since I'm heading down to the VA almost constantly for the next 2+ months, every time I go I get "mileage" round-trip from and to home.  Times that by 8 or more trips, and there's the price for the Ultra-lite Judge... ;)

Of course I will check these out at the Spokane area ranges.  One is owned and run by a woman, whom a friend referred us to...they rent their pistols for free, but ya gotta buy range ammo - works for me. 

{after sleeping on this, I doubt that the Judge out be any different than other wheel guns I own now, after reading the below article it appears that there's good rubber grips on it, like the ones on my S&W 1917 .45 ACP revolver.  That pistol fills my hand as well and it's easy trigger pull allows good groups of target hits.  The Judge is probably lighter that the 1917, has a better front sight and probably just the same weight, perhaps a little lighter, although there'd be a 95 (or so) year difference in manufacturing...did you also note that on the Judge there's a dampener between the grips?}

Sorry, Coastie, for not replying to your question at the end.
No, I did not notice anything that I'd identify as a "dampener" on the gun, anywhere - but then, I wasn't looking for such a thing.
I think I was so taken by the long (4") barrel on the thing that I hardly noticed anything else except of course, the size and potential for great firepower in "needy" situations, so to speak.

What meanest thou?
What "dampener?"
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
Considered opinion: The Judge is an answer searching for a question.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRlry5KH6I0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRlry5KH6I0</a>
The Judge
Time will tell.

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 06:55:04 PM »
do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

oldranger53

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 07:49:14 AM »
I see the local gun shop has a couple more Judge pistols in their case as of yesterday.  Think I will go over and handle one or both of them.  I am interested in this Damper thing mentioned earlier.

Coastie

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
I was at the base exchange (you vets know the place) and in their new gun section they had a Taurus Judge.  I liked the piece - it was fairly lightweight, but not the ultra-lite ($700+ for that one), but this was was affordable....  It had a small barrel (sorry I didn't have my ruler with me), but I LIKED it!  The price was very good and the kicker is 'no-sales tax' and (well not sure about the transfer fee)...but will be going back... and now checking local (Spokane) ranges to see if they have one...I kin tryout...

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 06:37:11 AM »
Hopefully, and in the near future, I will get the opportunity to try out the "Judge" at my local range, as they have one for rent.

I am interested in seeing how it performs with a 410 gauge slug and with the .45 LC. I have purchased some Winchester 3" 1/4 oz. rifled slugs (1800 fps at the muzzle) in anticipation of the test.

I think that the "Judge" provides some versatility in that it allows the firing of different and various ammunition (shotgun from shot to slug and standard handgun cartridges). As one report shows, the Brenneke Foster slug 114 grains seems to have a good showing in the "less frangible than most" department and it's overall performance (as with most 410 slugs) is somewhere between .38 special and .357 magnum.

Like most firearms, there are limitations. Handguns have inherent limitations just by virtue of their design.  That's not to say that they are ineffective. It is to say that we must know and understand those limitations.

Go for it, Coastie! I can think of worse things on which to spend money.

The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 09:23:02 AM »

I would assume CR, that the same goes for the Raging Judge in the 28 gauge also.  Novelty item? 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:52:59 PM by commonground »
do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Coastie

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 10:40:39 AM »
Hopefully, and in the near future, I will get the opportunity to try out the "Judge" at my local range, as they have one for rent.

I am interested in seeing how it performs with a 410 gauge slug and with the .45 LC. I have purchased some Winchester 3" 1/4 oz. rifled slugs (1800 fps at the muzzle) in anticipation of the test.

I think that the "Judge" provides some versatility in that it allows the firing of different and various ammunition (shotgun from shot to slug and standard handgun cartridges). As one report shows, the Brenneke Foster slug 114 grains seems to have a good showing in the "less frangible than most" department and it's overall performance (as with most 410 slugs) is somewhere between .38 special and .357 magnum.

Like most firearms, there are limitations. Handguns have inherent limitations just by virtue of their design.  That's not to say that they are ineffective. It is to say that we must know and understand those limitations.

Go for it, Coastie! I can think of worse things on which to spend money.

Yeah The Judge allows .410, buckshot, slugs and the long 45LC ...Please let me know how you do.  The S&W clerk mentioned the targets we've read about here and there were shot at from 3 feet...well I don't believe that, but he was just trying to sell me on the S&W copy of The Judge.  With my little .410 pistol (single shot), from 10 feet I peppered the paper target fairly good, and although I haven't shot slugs from it yet (I have some) will do that the next time I shoot it...

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 12:54:20 PM »
hickok45 has a real good video on youtube about the Judge.
Time will tell.

Coastie

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »
Thanks R will check out hickok45!

Coastie

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »
Thanks R will check out hickok45!

Good video....looks like I'm sold, if I can find one to shoot...  ;)

pop pop

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »
Coastie, I am in agreement with C R on this one. I am not a judge fan. I know I may very well be in the minority here, but the thing is large, and except for the 45 cal which is very hard to find, the 410 is marginal for self defense, IMO. May be good for snakes, but if a man wants to play, by all means, "go for it"!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't see any real practical use, for this revolver. I know a large amount of of people have, and purchased them, but it is just not for me.

Coastie

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 09:09:16 AM »
Well the Judge that I saw at the base wasn't that large of a revolver - I did get to hold and sight it.  As far as how it shoots, check out Hickok45's test:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRlry5KH6I0

(He did a thorough test using a steel vent and aluminum pie plates, and some of the shot penetrated very well.  Shot like 00 (4 pellets) Buck, 000Buck (4 pellets 1200 FPS - nice tight holes), and the exotic Winchester PDX (1) defense shells - 3 Copper plated cylinder projectiles & 8 Copper plated BBs) {good wide pattern}.

I, for one, wouldn't like to be shot with such a ammo...

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »

I would assume CR, that the same goes for the Raging Judge in the 28 gauge also.  Novelty item? 

Pretty much, yes.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
Coastie, I am in agreement with C R on this one. I am not a judge fan. I know I may very well be in the minority here, but the thing is large, and except for the 45 cal which is very hard to find, the 410 is marginal for self defense, IMO. May be good for snakes, but if a man wants to play, by all means, "go for it"!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't see any real practical use, for this revolver. I know a large amount of of people have, and purchased them, but it is just not for me.

There are several different versions.
Some longer and bigger than others.
Time will tell.

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »

Pretty much, yes.
why do you say the judge is a Novelty gun?
That judge hicok45 used, left big holes and went where he shot it.
if a BG had a 2 inch hole in his chest or head, etc...
Time will tell.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »
The questions the Judge answers currently can be answered by other handguns better in most cases. (Understand that I'm not giving a lot of time to the thought-experiment in this case and could indeed be wrong on this point. However, a single specific exception is not going to prove me incorrect in this. It would have to be something that covers a broader range of circumstances or situations.)

It's a revolver, which has its own limitations as a design to begin with. Understand, ladies and gentlemen, revolvers were cutting edge for a long time and the best you could get to do with, but they're not the best general-purpose sidearm concept any more.

28 gauge--.559 caliber--.60 caliber ball, I guess? Not sure I want to think about the recoil there.

.410, .45LC? I think? Memory has left me. Other wheelguns in easier to carry packages for the .45. .410...how's the buckshot work at range? When I had the Saiga 12, I could keep every load inside an 8" plate at 30 feet. I don't want it spreading more than that. If I remember to, I'll review the video. Were any shots made that long?

If I need something to cover 0-50 yards that I can carry easy, it's not the Judge. If I need something that is easy for me to hit with in burst fire (recall my predilections, if you will), it's not the Judge. If I need something I can find enough accessories and holsters for to make sure I have something that fits me and my requirements, it's not the Judge.

When I saw the first commercial for the Judge a few years back, it was interesting. Shooting out the passenger side with buckshot, interesting, yes. The one time I had to think about Plan B, though (Plan A was to drive on through the light, entirely doable at the time.) I had my hand on a G34 with a G18 magazine in it. Way easier to run one-handed like I would have had to do, and if I needed to sustain fire much better about not needed a reload in a hurry. More precision at longer range, too. A Judge could have worked, but not as well, and it would not have covered as many areas of endeavor as the '34, or a '17 or '19 or '26, for that matter.

I don't consider it a Novelty gun, Robert, just an answer in search of a question.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Coastie

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »
I like novelty gunz...after all I bought a Cobray M-11 once...and I like hicoks video on it.  In the situation I would use it in - it fits the bill:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRlry5KH6I0

"Hickok45 plays and experiments with the popular Taurus Judge revolver. It's a lengthy shooting session with a variety of ammunition types and target distances. I demonstrate patterns and penetration at various distances. Nothing scientific, as usual, but maybe enough to give 410 gauge revolver owners and potential buyers a rough ideas of what to expect. At various distances I shoot birdshot, 6 shot, 4shot, 00 Buck, 000Buck, and the exotic Winchester PDX defense shells." (video)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »
I don't consider the M11 a novelty gun, Coastie. Not an answer in search of a question, either.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Coastie

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 01:33:22 PM »
No I thought of it as a novelty gun....note:  I'm not looking for an answer - I've found the goal. 

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
The questions the Judge answers currently can be answered by other handguns better in most cases. (Understand that I'm not giving a lot of time to the thought-experiment in this case and could indeed be wrong on this point. However, a single specific exception is not going to prove me incorrect in this. It would have to be something that covers a broader range of circumstances or situations.)

It's a revolver, which has its own limitations as a design to begin with. Understand, ladies and gentlemen, revolvers were cutting edge for a long time and the best you could get to do with, but they're not the best general-purpose sidearm concept any more.

28 gauge--.559 caliber--.60 caliber ball, I guess? Not sure I want to think about the recoil there.

.410, .45LC? I think? Memory has left me. Other wheelguns in easier to carry packages for the .45. .410...how's the buckshot work at range? When I had the Saiga 12, I could keep every load inside an 8" plate at 30 feet. I don't want it spreading more than that. If I remember to, I'll review the video. Were any shots made that long?

If I need something to cover 0-50 yards that I can carry easy, it's not the Judge. If I need something that is easy for me to hit with in burst fire (recall my predilections, if you will), it's not the Judge. If I need something I can find enough accessories and holsters for to make sure I have something that fits me and my requirements, it's not the Judge.

When I saw the first commercial for the Judge a few years back, it was interesting. Shooting out the passenger side with buckshot, interesting, yes. The one time I had to think about Plan B, though (Plan A was to drive on through the light, entirely doable at the time.) I had my hand on a G34 with a G18 magazine in it. Way easier to run one-handed like I would have had to do, and if I needed to sustain fire much better about not needed a reload in a hurry. More precision at longer range, too. A Judge could have worked, but not as well, and it would not have covered as many areas of endeavor as the '34, or a '17 or '19 or '26, for that matter.

I don't consider it a Novelty gun, Robert, just an answer in search of a question.
Here is how I see it. many people like a shot gun for home defense. It would be used in the range that Hicok tested it. A shot gun being used to clear a house has drawbacks - ie the BG can grab it when your at the corner. you can't see the BG but he can see your shot gun. the judge is like a micro shot gun. only no long barrel to grab. several people have guns that are go-to guns, they serve a specific purpose. The judge is a close to med. range defense tool. With the right ammo it can make big holes, stopping the threat ASAP
on the video hicok did, one of the shots left a 4 inch hole. If that did not stop the BG, the next one should.
just my two cents.
thanks
Robert
Time will tell.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 05:45:08 AM »
I think that we are taking this all too zestful.

The "Judge" is what it is; a portable device that will send projectiles downrange whether it be slugs (no laughing matter), buckshot (again, no laughing matter), bird and snake shot (I won't laugh at that one), or .45 Colt projectiles (I definitely won't muffle a giggle at this one).

The question is, "Will it stop a threat?" The answer is obvious as it is with any weapon; yes given the right conditions. If by the mere pointing the "Judge" at a bad guy stops the action, I would say it is pretty effective at stopping the threat. Beyond that I can't guarantee anything. The same thing can be said about the Glock, 1911, Springfield, or a 12-gauge.

It is fun; however, to banter about the issue.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »
Ah, but I don't favor shotguns for home defense either, Robert. Carbine or handgun is what I prefer. If I was going to pick up a shotgun for HD, my choice would be an short-barreled 12ga (appropriate ATF forms and Federal taxes having been paid) with either a Centurion (.65 cal ball and 6 #1 shot) or 000 buckshot in it. I'd likely be happier with an AR or AK-74, AR preferred because I can get more tailoring out of the ammunition with it.

And in one sense, I do take it too zestfully, Taurian, and deliberately so. People generally have limited resources to provide for themselves with, and putting money into a sub-optimal platform is something I would rather they not do if better choices are available. If it's an extra, something you just want after you have other requirements covered, then go and buy, and get one for me if you can--this is what America is about in some ways, that ability to make enough money for extras and the ability to choose from want and not need. As a first choice or primary arm, though, no, not comfortable with it. Yes, that is an opinion, a considered one that mirrors the opinions of others with more experience and knowledge of such matters than I have. Since it is an opinion, and since this is America, anyone can agree with me or not. Wish they would, but that's just me, right?

www.inshadowinlight.com

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
America, anyone can agree with me or not. Wish they would, but that's just me, right?
It is America, we all wish that people would listen to our expertise, it could save them tons of trouble.
Time will tell.

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 05:37:20 PM »
Gather facts, details, information and opinions from all sources possible, then make a judgement call.  Example:  Even though it isn't a good off-road vehicle, my Ford Fusion does what I want it to do. :-)  CG

Coastie

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 05:57:26 PM »
Gather facts, details, information and opinions from all sources possible, then make a judgement call.  Example:[/size]  Even though it isn't a good off-road vehicle, my Ford Fusion does what I want it to do. :-)  CG 

That's what I always do with everything in high price I buy...Took over a year (years ago) to get the right vehicle we were looking to buy and it was a winner!  Took over a year to buy the 1911 that I wanted - and I checked everything on all of them...Have done the same with this pistol as well...the only hold up I have at the moment is funding it...but in time...

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 06:15:48 PM »
"I think that we are taking this all too zestful."

This was a tongue-and-cheek statement, just to be clear.  (Note that there is no smiley face for tongue-in-cheek statements).

Coastie, don't listen to the naysayers. Go ahead and get your "Judge" and enjoy the heck out of it. Of course, you are doomed to provide a range report and since pumpkin season is about on us there has to be a place for pumpkin jerky in this world. Should you ever get attacked by a pumpkin, it is no laughing matter. Pumpkins are more dangerous than watermelons.

After years of talking myself out of a SKS, I finally got one and I'm still wondering what held me back in the first place. Perhaps that I may have seen a few of these in a little conflict that began in 1955 and that we supported . Anyway, the rifle shoots so well I bought a redundant system that is in excellent condition at a gun show this weekend for a very good price. It was actually ironic; buying a Chinese-made rifle that was designed in Russia from a Vietnamese vendor (private seller). Only in America!

In fact, if someone ever comes out with this one (http://artistmurder.deviantart.com/art/AK-47-Derringer-56939319), I could find a use for it ;D .

Now, if I can just justify that Colt 1991A1 1911 Combat Commander. ::)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:31:51 PM by Taurian »

barnjoer

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »
Enough is Enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If Michael thinks he wants A Judge then so be it. Every one knows what opinions are like. The Judge has it's place just like A 44 Mag has it's place. I love my 44 but most people think it is over kill. In my opinion it depends on what one wants to kill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go for it Michael, if it turs out it is not what you thought then sell it. Just my thoughts on it.
John
He Who Expects Nothing Won't Be Deceived!!
TEXAS CHL / NRA /
Carry LOADED Always!!

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
Point out where anyone said flatly that Coastie shouldn't get the gun if he wants it, barnjoer.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
Point out where anyone said flatly that Coastie shouldn't get the gun if he wants it, barnjoer.

Michael Flatly? I thought that he was a River Dancer ;D . Yah know, Lord of the Dance and all that. Is Michael a member of the forum? Wow! Kuhl!

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 08:48:02 AM »
Owie. Especially considering how much I liked Lord Of The Dance.

Still, nobody said he shouldn't buy the wee beastie. Yes, I'd personally prefer the purchase of some other arm even just wanted and not needed. I'm not sure, given the current political uncertainty coming, that purchasing a wanted gun that doesn't hold much practical value over some other wanted gun that does will not be a choice regretted after November. That's me, though, and I'm not Coastie. I'm just me.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »
I strongly considered a "Judge" for this years "treat" gun while the money flowed in early and mid summer.
I also considered a Rock Island Armory .45 of some configuration.
As you all know, I chose a Charter Arms Bulldog SS DAO.  That's just what I wanted most at the time, for various reasons.
One of the things that steered me away from the Judge toward the Bulldog was the size to power ratio.
With the Bulldog I get nearly the same power out the muzzle with considerably less weight and concealability.
The conceal factor won out over the slightly more powerful Judge.
If I need to put shot downrange, I can use the CCI shot shells (and do sometimes load the first two rounds such when I'm up in the mountains by myself, in case of snakes or small and aggressive animals that may show up and dislike my presence there.)
I'm a fairly small man in stature, 5'8" yet large arms and legs, about 200 lbs with 36" waist, 16" arms and 20" thighs (from the old days, of course) and trying to properly conceal a larger pistol on this torso can be a challenge.
I LIKE the Judge, and if I can carry one OC without freaking everyone out around me, I'd do such a thing.  However, Jonny Public hasn't evolved that far, and so CC is the way to go for the forseeable future.

I hope next year to latch onto one of those RIA .45's.  For now, I got 200gr Gold Dot and 165gr Critical Defense loads ready to send downrange.  God help anyone unlucky enough to be on the receiving end of either.
Next I'll be looking for some of those "cor bon" loads for those who wear body armor.  They may not penetrate, but I think cor bon would likely put a bigger dent into kevlar.

What do you guys and gals think?

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 09:08:54 AM »
Pretty much anything you have is going to cause blunt trauma, oldranger. Don't see a need to get anything else. I would consider moving from Critical Defense to Critical Duty if you can get it. That's the only thing I'd suggest changing.

www.inshadowinlight.com